Nice Inexpensive Tang Sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Nice Inexpensive Tang Sight

Post by Slick »

I really like tang sights – but most of the ones I’ve seen cost over $100. Considering this Taurus model 62c is a $250 rifle, I can’t see the point in spending that much on a tang sight. After a little looking around, I found out that Taurus makes their own tang sight and it’s available for under $30! This sight is also reputed to fit a Winchester 9422 lever-action .22 – but I can’t say so for sure since I don’t have one yet. Hole spacing on the tang sight is 2.175 center to center.

I ordered the Taurus tang sight from Able’s->

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product ... Path=10186 _15273_15302&products_id=60059&osCsid=42b45e03e05e11797d9ba5 a081a902e0

Here’s a couple photos of it on the rifle..

For the price of the Taurus sight, it’s surprisingly well made and has positive “clicksâ€
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Is that sight made of plastic?

Looks good tho.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Very smart move and thanks for the link to Ables. It seems they have some good prices.
How about a pic of the entire rifle with sight up and a shooting report?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

cnjarvis wrote:Is that sight made of plastic?

Looks good tho.
The ones I saw/handled were cast and painted giving a look of plastic as in the photo but they are metal (steel?).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

cnjarvis wrote:Is that sight made of plastic?

Looks good tho.
They are steel and have (what appears) to be a blued finish. When I cleaned it up out of the bag, a lot of black residue came off but it's still dark like in the photos.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

crs wrote:How about a pic of the entire rifle with sight up and a shooting report?
Oddly enough, I haven't taken a "whole" photo of mine yet, but it's this rifle from Taurus->

I've got only one box of ammo (CCI Blazers) through it - but with no malfunctions. The action was surprisily positive & smooth and seems to be improving. Shooting offhand at 50 yards produced about a 4-inch group for all 50 rounds - with most in a group half that size. Now that I've got the tang sight, I'll try shooting it from the bench and bring 4 or 5 brands of ammo to test.

For hiking this would make the ultimate trail prinker and it's easy to break in half for packing. It's under 33 inches OAL and weighs 4.5 lbs.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Thanks - love those takedowns! :D
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Quote from Slick

This sight is also reputed to fit a Winchester 9422 lever-action .22 – but I can’t say so for sure since I don’t have one yet. Hole spacing on the tang sight is 2.175 center to center.

If anyone knows if this sight does fit a Winchester 9422 please post details :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I posted a detailed writeup on the old site :cry: about the Taurus tang sight. I'll try to repost some this weekend if I can find the details about threading and so on.

Suffice to say, the sights seem to me to be well made (metal), and have reasonably positive adjustments and reproducibility.

I therefore have bought I think FIVE of them total. One for an old saddle ring Puma 357, one for a .454 Casull stainless Puma 92, one each for two octagonal long-barreled Puma's, and I think the other was a 'spare.'

They fit perfectly; the two long guns came with the extra drilled hole in the tang, and the others it was easy to drill and tap.

Watch your threads - the sights come with screws but the rear one replaces the tang screw, and it won't fit (since it is for the little .22's) so you'll have to get/make/buy a longer one - I got mine at ACE hardware (used allen head screws with the I think metric appropriate pitch for my existing tang threads. The longer guns came with extra long screws so I didn't have to do that. For the front ones, I believe I also got screws at ACE and filed/smoothed them a bit to clear the hammer at full cock.

Anyway - good sights.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I put one on my Taurus 62LAR levergun last year, and I have no complaints. :wink:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8)
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Well, it looks like I'm gonna have to search for a Taurus 62LAR! :shock: I also need a Win 9422 - and would like to use this tang sight on both rifles.

Thanks, AJMD429 and Ganjiro for adding your thoughts on this neat (reasonbly priced) tang sight.

I'm thinking about buying 2 more and drilling my Rossi 92 SRC to take one. 8)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[it’s available for under $30! I ordered the Taurus tang sight from Able’s]

Let us know, if you get it this year. :cry:

Last year I ordered one directly from the Taurus website, downloading their order form & mailing them the form with a check.

Two months later, after no word from them - I called their Customer Service, and was told the tang sights were sold out, country-wide, were back-ordered to the factory (in S.A.), but that they couldn't give me a target date for the estimated next date of production or arrival in the USA.

I asked them to cancel my order & return my check.

They said OK, but I never got the check, and had to do a "stop-payment" on the check.

I soon afterward bought a nice tang sight, reasonably, through the kind offices of a fellow levergunner - Thanks, again OS !
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

My experiances mirror those of AJMD's
Have 3 installed and am very satisfied. On one of them the spring that holds the stanchion upright seemd to be slightly weaker than the others so instead of replacing it or calling the Mfgrs I used my Dremil and deepened the notch that the spring rests in to secure it better.
D&Ting the tang is no big deal.
Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Slick wrote: I'm thinking about buying 2 more and drilling my Rossi 92 SRC to take one. 8)
I almost FORGOT to mention - be SURE (REALLY sure) (REALLY SURE your SURE) to get the holes exactly centered. A sharp center punch and stepping up with drills from 1/16" on up worked for me.

The .454 has a longer bolt than the .44 or .357, or something, because when that sucker comes back, the 'notch' in the back of the bolt straddles the knurled hub of the tang sight. It will need to be centered pretty well, although if you had a situation where the bolt was too close to the sight, you could do some creative file work to resolve it.

Also, decide whether you want your holes/screws to be metric or English (makes sense to match the existing one(s).

Any other questions, just post or email me.

Good luck.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

I like it Slick.
Economical and looks good on your gun, which by the way looks like loads of fun.

You can have squirrel or rabbit after a day's hike or even for lunch!
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Thanks for the helpful tips, AJMD429. :)

Pete44ru - I placed my order with Ables on December 30th and recieved the order about 9 days later. It would have arrived earlier as it shipped out after the new years holiday. That was my first order with them, and I though their prices looked pretty good. I'll be checking their site for future orders..
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

Thanks for the info. That tang sight looks pretty good for only 30.00. Like it on that model 62 also. OH Well!!! Time to hit the pawn shops!!! Art :D
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!