pet coyotes?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

pet coyotes?

Post by El Chivo »

I was out for a bike ride Sunday and took the route around the Encino golf course. There's a four lane road, a bike path, a jogging path, and then the golf course.

I'm pedaling along and look up to see a coyote standing on the jogging path. He looked like he was somebody's dog. He didn't run or hide. Joggers went right past him, families with kids and strollers, sweaty fat ladies with stretch pants, bicyclists whizzing by, right on the same path.

I've seen coyotes around but this is the first time I saw a tame one. The golf course attendant said that people feed them so they come around.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: pet coyotes?

Post by TedH »

I always thought it would be cool to have a pet fox.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:shock: Sounds like a Dummy is about to get bit :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

Isn't that what lead to the death of the young singer up in Canada? People feeding a pack of yotes until they became unafraid of humans.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

FWIW, when I was growing up a really good friend of mine got two coyote pups when their eyes were still closed. The male as an adolescent, got to fooling around a hive of honey bees and didn't make it, but the female lived several years after that. The female loved to play, but you just couldn't trust her. It was obvious that if she could kill ANYTHING...cat, duck, kid, other dog...she would do it without warning. She would trick the ducks and geese and end up killing them...she pretended to run a shorter rope than she had, and when they moved within reach, she would strike...very cunning and amazing to watch and play with. Then she got bred by a black lab, and NO ONE could touch her after that. She was destroyed shortly thereafter. My point is, that even raised from "eyes closed" state, you should never trust one.

Ed
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

BlaineG wrote::shock: Sounds like a Dummy is about to get bit :roll:
Yotes live pretty well in close proximity to humans. Right up to the time they kill your kid. Some years back, a young boy in the nearby foothills was attacked in his yard. Now hunting yotes isn't allowed in this area. The parents put up quite a holler. But the greenies, yea, we had them even way back then, fought poisoning, trapping, and certainly shooting.

So, a few years later, his younger sister was killed by a coyote. Guess what, still can't hunt them close to urban areas, and can't poison them. And since they have no natural enemy, except for the automobile, they keep breeding.

By the way, think this is a new problem. The little girl was killed in 1981
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

We had a PET??? 1/2 yote 1/2 Heeler dog, yes they DO cross breed. Had to get rid of it as it would bite anything and even truned on my boy who fed and took care of it. Yotes do not make pets, same with wolves, but people don't learn.

We have had several folk who thought raising wolves was the thing to do and in each case as the wolves got older they started chasing down livestock, or just kids on bikes. If it ran they would try and take it down.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

My great uncle has had 2 pet yotes at different times. He is as cowboy as anyone I ever saw. He worked on the wildlife preserve up in southwestern Oklahoma until his retirement a few years ago. Anyway, he ended up putting the first one down, but said the second one made a pretty good pet. He said it was always a little temperamental, and he never could get it as tame as a domestic dog.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Friend of mine once had one that he raised from a pup. Had it about eight years until it tried to eat the face off his six year old daughter, very bad scars. I don't know now many people told him to get rid of that "pet", unfortunately the girl paid the price for his stupidity.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Yes, they are a cunning predator, but I'm higher up the chain and will not take them as a pet. I will use my cunning and trick them; then blow them apart. I don't like them. :evil:
"That'll Be The Day"
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

rangerider7 wrote:Yes, they are a cunning predator, but I'm higher up the chain and will not take them as a pet. I will use my cunning and trick them; then blow them apart. I don't like them. :evil:
+1
It is not the critic who counts
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

RABIES :shock:
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

In California they run for office!
Bob A
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob A »

model55 wrote:In California they run for office!
And they win
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bob A wrote:
model55 wrote:In California they run for office!
And they win
And the season and bag limits should be the same.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

firefuzz wrote:Friend of mine once had one that he raised from a pup. Had it about eight years until it tried to eat the face off his six year old daughter, very bad scars. I don't know now many people told him to get rid of that "pet", unfortunately the girl paid the price for his stupidity.

Rob
I spent my first 16 years as a cowboy in the Sandhills of western Nebraska and had a lot of experience with coyotes. There were several times people would find orphaned coyotes and think they could domesticate them - never worked - post above was how 100% of them ended up - bad because it would happen unexpectedly several years after the adoption.

I tried to rope them - dunno what I would have done if I had caught one - young cowboys don't think far ahead. Concluded - either leave'em alone or shoot'em.

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER