Sixgunner/Levergunners Family Cookbook Preferences

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.

What are your preferences for the Sixgunner/Levergunner Cookbook?

CD - my preferred format for the Cookbook
15%
PRINT - my preferred format for the Cookbook
35%
YES - I'll pay a higher price for PRINT format
23%
NO - I will NOT pay a higher price for PRINT format
4%
YES - I'll pay more for DUAL format, both CD and PRINT
14%
NO - I will NOT pay more for DUAL format, both CD and PRINT
9%

Total votes: 95
Hobie

Sixgunner/Levergunners Family Cookbook Preferences

Post by Hobie »

I am posting this for Doc Hudson. You have at least 3 votes, please make those carefully. You can change your mind if you like.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

If this project is going to finally come to a close, some decisions must be made.

The biggest decision to be made is the format, whether Print or CD.

There are advantages to both formats; unfortunately I believe the cost of a dual format would be prohibitive.

Doc Hudson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Sixgunner/Levergunners Family Cookbook Preferences

Post by J Miller »

I chose "print" as the preferred format, but also added I'd pay for the dual format if necessary.

My reasoning is you NEED a printed cook book in the kitchen, at least we do as there is no computer in the kitchen and no room for one if we had the ability to buy one.

If it were produced in CD in a format that made it easy to print that would be OK, but additionally expensive due to printer ink and supplies.

So there you have my reasons for my choices.

And yes I am still in for at least one, maybe two cook books.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:I chose "print" as the preferred format, but also added I'd pay for the dual format if necessary.
My reasoning is you NEED a printed cook book in the kitchen, at least we do as there is no computer in the kitchen and no room for one if we had the ability to buy one.
If it were produced in CD in a format that made it easy to print that would be OK, but additionally expensive due to printer ink and supplies.
So there you have my reasons for my choices.
And yes I am still in for at least one, maybe two cook books.
Joe
+1
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Gents,

Here are my thoughhts behind the choices.

There are advantages to both formats; unfortunately I believe the cost of a dual format would be prohibitive.

With a CD it would be possible to list recipes in more than one category, such as Meat and Dutch Oven for a recipe such as Sweet Onion Brisket Of Beef Carbonnade Or such as Desserts and Dutch Oven for El Cazador’s Dutch Oven Peach Cobbler.

Another advantage for using a CD is that you can print the recipe you want to use and you won’t risk getting an entire cookbook stained by a spill in the kitchen or burned by a stray spark from a charcoal or campfire.

Another, and perhaps a major advantage to the CD is the lower cost of production resulting in a lower sale price.

I also realize that some folks are even more technologically challenged than I am and they won’t have a cookbook on CD.

I also realize that a cookbook on CD might be of very limited utility in a hunting camp lacking electricity or a computer.

On the other hand, no one can appreciate the pleasure of flipping the pages of a cookbook and discovering a recipe that might become a family favorite better than I. Shoot, I’ll sit down and read a cookbook like a novel at times and it is lots more fun to flip the pages than to scroll through a recipe list on a CD.

I also realize that printed cookbooks are by no means dependent on printers, computers or even electricity.

On the down side, it is quite easy to ruing a cookbook due to spills, sparks, flame, or rough handling. And due to minimum order requirements, and the cost of printing and binding, printed cookbooks are generally more expensive than those on CD.

There you have it ladies and gentlemen. Let me know your desires and I will investigate costs of publication.

I have asked Hobie to make this a Sticky until the end of July. During that time, I ask that you continue sending the recipes and stories you wish to submit. The more we have the better things will be.

Doc Hudson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

This will be fun...especially, if there are lots of pictures...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I chose CD. I have laptops so I use it in the kitchen all the time any way. The other reason is the production costs are lower allowing for a better profit margin for the parties involved. Publishing companies want to much money.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Most of the church cookbooks my wife has bought end up costing $8 to $10 in a printed spiral bound book
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Rusty wrote:Most of the church cookbooks my wife has bought end up costing $8 to $10 in a printed spiral bound book

That cost is for several hundred copies pre-paid. I can't afford that much outlay up front.

Besides this ain't gonna be your ordinary church cookbook. How many church cookbooks have articles by folks like Jim Taylor, John Taffin, and Doc O'Meara and Mike Cumpston sprinkled through the book?

That is a hint TERRY MURBACH!
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Yeah Terry, and don't you have a recipe for Bourbon chicken?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I'm going to try to keep bumping this poll to the top for w while.

At this point, only 42 folk have bothered to vote, I'd hoped for a greater response.
Last edited by Doc Hudson on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Doc,

I've noticed that traffic is down on a lot of forums and blogs. I don't know why.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

BTT
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Hobie wrote:Doc,

I've noticed that traffic is down on a lot of forums and blogs. I don't know why.

Typical Summer slum I suppose. Folks are out doing yard work, barbecuing, playing in the water, or running their kids around.

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

BTT+

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

BTT

Image Image
UNITE!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Local gun shop is slow too for about one month.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

BTT

Image Image
UNITE!
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

I aint forgot about you Doc, just havn't been able to fire myself up for some serious typing yet. I believe I'll have to get with my daughter, (who CAN type), and have her make me up a text doc. to send your way. There's quite a few I'd like to contribute.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

slimster wrote:I aint forgot about you Doc, just havn't been able to fire myself up for some serious typing yet. I believe I'll have to get with my daughter, (who CAN type), and have her make me up a text doc. to send your way. There's quite a few I'd like to contribute.

Send them when you can!

I'll be close to home for the next couple of weeks while Mom recovers so maybe i can get in some work on the novel AND the Cookbook.

Image Image
UNITE!
Ron Macy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ron Macy »

My internet read/write has been at a standstill for two months like everyone else. Hope this goes through but I need to find the spot to sign up. I voted for Print.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I want at least two books, yes I will pay more for them, and I would be willing to pay up front so that Doc doesn't have to lay out all the money himself. I am still getting some recipes together to send to Doc. I have sent a couple. When is the deadline for sending them?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

i will have to check into publishing lead-time before I set a deadline for certain.

At the moment I'm thinking a Labor Day deadline will work.

Image Image
UNITE!
Ron Macy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ron Macy »

I hope the recipe I sent Doc (Old depression recipe) for Dago Mac makes it into the book. A family recipe in collusion with an Italian neighbor who always said "Us Dagos know how to eat cheap".
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Ron Macy wrote:I hope the recipe I sent Doc (Old depression recipe) for Dago Mac makes it into the book. A family recipe in collusion with an Italian neighbor who always said "Us Dagos know how to eat cheap".
Ron,

I can't find the recipe in my files, at least not under the name "Dago Mac.

Please send me another copy to; dochudson2 AT yahoo DOT com

Put Recipe in the Title line.

Image Image
UNITE!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I don't see the most obvious reasons (to me) for dual media - unless I missed one of the posts:
1) I like printed matter for perusing - easier on the eyes.
2) 'Tricity and 'puters sometimes are down, or aren't around.
3) But with a CD, you can usually copy it to a hard drive for compact storage. Whether or not the CD is transferable, you can search by a single ingredient, or a partial recipe name, usine the Start/Search button. You can't always find something in a book without spending some time.
4) With a dual setup, you can offer the CD, the book, or both at a higher price.

I'm all for the dual setup; perhaps put together as PDF files, or as one long PDF file with a Table of Contents, written to a disc so that every computer can access the recipes. With a simple menu or just a hyperlinked Table of Contents, this should not prove to be too expensive to produce. I've written many manuals on disc at home in this manner using Adobe Acrobat - with table of Contents, graphics, and an Index - using the tools that come with Microsoft Word. The last one had 325 pages and worked quite well. The finished product lets you click on an entry at the Table of Contents and jump to the page - standard for Acrobat if you set up the TOC a certain way, using Word and perhaps other publishing software. Any publisher worth his salt can do this easily.
gunner69
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gunner69 »

Hope this is still going to happen...... I go for print. What the hell, the Mrs. doesn't do computers and she will be the one cooking. :mrgreen:
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

What is the consensus of the submitters, so far? Are we submitting recipes with our online handles (such as "JohndeFresno") or are we using real names or is there a mixture?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

How about a "compromise" (aack spit)?

DISTRIBUTE the cookbook in Print, but include with the Print Edition a link/passcode to an online version with the CD style cross-refrences.

Seems to work well for Textbooks...

As for Recepie Submissions... I wish I could remember my "recepies". Unfortunately I cook exclusively with Fire and by Taste...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Doc, did I ever get that round 'tuit way back when you were working on the Sixgunner Cookbook project? Don't recall if I ever sent you any recipes and after a few computer changes since then I don't have access to sent e-mail from back then...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Dual format doesn't have to be expensive - it can be free.

Check out www.createspace.com which lets you self-publish your book or cd or audio/video files. They are then sold on Amazon.com and you get a royalty. The books or CD's are printed on demand, one at a time, once they are ordered.

You can also skip the CD and just send people the *.pdf file, which they can read or print at their leisure. Again, no money up front.

I've been down this road, printing and binding my own music books (with CD's) and the Createspace idea is the best one I can think of. I currently sell mp3's this way and it's legit.

For a cookbook, I'm voting for print, it seems to fit the use better. Remember that spiral or comb binding allows the pages to lay flat. But as I said you can always do a downloadable or CD version at no extra cost to you, and make the extra sales.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I see where several people are offering to send recipes - a downloadable or *.pdf version allows you to update it periodically and send out the updates to your previous customers, again at no cost to you.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Oh, and I would bet a cookbook would be a great type of book to have available for Kindles.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

How do I get a recipe to you?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I chose CD, because it's easier to search and I can print what I want from it to use in the kitchen without cluttering up the kitchen with another cookbook.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Doc,

Hopefully you'll read this before Labor Day. I just want to make sure you have my stew recipe. I know I've sent it in, but it's been a while so I'm double checking.
I'm doing this because The Ruger Forum just shipped their cook books and my recipe is not in it. I thought I'd sent it in, but I guess I didn't.

I'm still in for the book and possibly the dual format. Maybe two books, not positive at this moment.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***