To Use Hard, or Not?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

To Use Hard, or Not?

Post by Blaine »

I have a JapChester 1895/.405 that's about 100%. This is currently a safe queen. To hunt and shoot it alot, I'd have to cut the stock and get a Pachmyer on it. It will get worn in the truck and the woods......I really don't want to sell this one......Should I use and shoot the snot out of it and let it get some "character"?? (I know the answer, I just want someone to blame for the first big scratch :lol: )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2row
Levergunner 1.0

Re: To Use Hard, or Not?

Post by 2row »

NO DON"T USE IT!!!!!!!!!!
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA I don't own a gun that I can't shoot an I have plenty of them
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

No rifle deserves to be quarantined in the back of a dark, dank, old safe. You shoulda been shooting it all ready.
Come on Blaine, get with the program. SHOOT IT!

So sayeth the Miller :wink:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Use it.

If I have a gun that I like a lot, and want to use it, I have no qualms whatsoever about using it and modifying it in whatever way required to bring it up to it's full potetial. The folks that want to preserve their guns for museums can do that if they choose, I really don't care too much what happens after I'm gone, but I want my guns to be as practical as possible for my use.

Cut a barrel off? Drill for sight and sling? Cut the stock for better fit or a pad? No problem.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I went thru the same thing a few years ago. I had a Uberti '73 sporting rifle that was just flawless. everything about it was near perfect. I just couldn't help but baybie the heck out of it when I took it out,and it drove Me nuts.I sold it and bought a Marlin 45-70 put a Williams FP on it and haven't looked back.Good Luck with your delimma. :) .
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Use it! Oh, I haven't read the thread, I just read the title. :lol: :lol: :lol:

As far as the rifle use it too!
"That'll Be The Day"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

How 'bout if I take it to Alaska next trip and put that first scratch on it for ya? You can blame me and I don't care. It's a win-win-moruko solution.

Grizz
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

If it were an original ,minty 1895 .405, I'd probably use it a little bit for range shooting, but baby it and likely never use it in the woods.

But a modern repro? Even though a nice one, I'd use the heck out of it. Note I say "use", not "abuse"; but then, I don't abuse any of my guns. I use them as they were designed to be used, and I care for them as any man who cares for his tools would.

As for modifications -- well, let me just say this. I got a nice Savage 99A in .308 a few months back, and got it at a nice discount because some previous owner had cut the stock and installed a Pachmayr pad. Fact is, though, if it hadn't had the pad already I would have spent my own good money getting one on it, and it wouldn't have been done any more professionally than the one it already had. If the gun has some feature that keeps you from being completely comfortable with it, I say change it.
Last edited by Pisgah on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Grizz wrote:How 'bout if I take it to Alaska next trip and put that first scratch on it for ya? You can blame me and I don't care. It's a win-win-miroku solution.

Grizz
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

What the h*ll good does a rifle do sittin' in the back of a stinkin' safe?

Fix it up the way it should be and use it.

Dings and gouges don't take value away from a well-used and loved firearm, they add value to it.

:wink: :D
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I have a couple of "lightly customized" firearms --- makes the experience better for me knowing i have taken a great design and optimized it for my needs , whether for practical needs or aesthetic needs.
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I knew I could count on my Buddys :wink: Off to the chop shop this fall.....Now, about that USRAC '86EL :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

What are you saving it for, the afterlife? I have a feeling you won't be taking it with you. Use it
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Might as well take the engraver too it too.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'd find a happy medium. You say "use hard". That brings visions of bouncing around in the back of a pickup, falling down a mountain side, getting dropped in a creek, etc. I would fix her up to be comfortable and use it, but with care.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

TedH wrote:I'd find a happy medium. You say "use hard". That brings visions of bouncing around in the back of a pickup, falling down a mountain side, getting dropped in a creek, etc. I would fix her up to be comfortable and use it, but with care.
If it goes hunting, it's a tool...therein lies the problem. I've had my Stainless Guide Gun about ten years, and while not abused, it would still be about 80% visually...scratches and worn stock finish...it don't bother me a bit.....BUT: with a well worn Guide Gun, why do I need to hunt with the nice one? Beats me, I just do :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Shoot not...want not.

:wink:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

BlaineG wrote:
TedH wrote:I'd find a happy medium. You say "use hard". That brings visions of bouncing around in the back of a pickup, falling down a mountain side, getting dropped in a creek, etc. I would fix her up to be comfortable and use it, but with care.
If it goes hunting, it's a tool...therein lies the problem. I've had my Stainless Guide Gun about ten years, and while not abused, it would still be about 80% visually...scratches and worn stock finish...it don't bother me a bit.....BUT: with a well worn Guide Gun, why do I need to hunt with the nice one? Beats me, I just do :wink:

Well in that case, I'd find some other wood to slap on it and save the original walnut in good condition.
NRA Life Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I wouldl use even an original so with a Mirokuchester.... yeah, shoot it until you need shoulder surgery.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
crow
Levergunner

Post by crow »

[quote="Hobie"]I wouldl use even an original so with a Mirokuchester.... yeah, shoot it until you need shoulder surgery.[/quote]

Doctor's orders. Yes mate shoot her or sell her. As the rifle wears the memories just make it more beautiful.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I suppose that I would do things a might differently in your circumstances.

Firstly, I'd buy new, plain, furniture and install it - saving the original wood for later.

Then I'd shoot the heck out of it, doing my best not to bugger up the metal.

Later, should you want to show it off/sell it, put the un-buggered, preserved wood back on.

Cheap insurance that protects the value...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Use (maybe not "hard", but often!). I have a few "safe queens" right now, but they won't be forever. I don't buy anything I don't intend on shooting. Just a matter of time. When I see a good deal I try to jump on it. By the time I get around to being able to shoot as much as I want to, I doubt I will be able to afford any of the guns then! :shock:
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Malamute wrote:Use it.

If I have a gun that I like a lot, and want to use it, I have no qualms whatsoever about using it and modifying it in whatever way required to bring it up to it's full potetial. The folks that want to preserve their guns for museums can do that if they choose, I really don't care too much what happens after I'm gone, but I want my guns to be as practical as possible for my use.

Cut a barrel off? Drill for sight and sling? Cut the stock for better fit or a pad? No problem.

I'm pretty much this way, although I doubt I'll ever cut the barrel on either my '76 or '86 clones. That doesn't mean I won't shoot the stuff out of them. :lol:

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I think there is some great advice on this thread and it really has me thinkin. I myself have no guns that would be considered valuable, doubt I ever will. I do however have a couple guns that I really like and they mean a lot to me. The idea of an "wear" on them turns my stomach. I've thought about changing the furniture on them so I can return them to original in the future if I wish.

What stops me? The nicest guns (or I should say their pictures) I see here at leverguns are the ones with history. Guns not abused but the ones with honest wear and a story. I'm decided I'm gonna make some history with these guns which may hurt their value to someone else but will increase their value to me.

LK
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I personally prefer the ,been there done that, look. I don't get as big a smile from a "carefully preserved" mint 100 year old gun as I do from one that some might hide in the back corner of a closet, but that's me. And the cool thing is I don't tend to buy "good clean" guns so the guys who like em can have at em. Now if you have a dusty, rusty, banged and battered whatever and I think I can get it up and running again, boy the hair on my arms starts to raise up and I start smiling. But that's just me. Use it! Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Go ahead and blame me then!

If you didn't buy the rifle for an investment, use the bloody thing!

If you bought a recently made M-1895, your grandkids might make a fortune on it, if the Yankee government don't seize it first, but you probably won't live long enough to make a significant profit.

IMO the only firearms that really deserve to be safe queens are the fancy engraved and plated versions that one pays a small fortune for.

It is furthermore MNSHO that a rifle or handgun with honest use and handling marks are not marred by them. These marks add character and each can become a memento of a memorable day in the field.

I could probably spin a long yarn about every dent and scratch on the stock of my Browning BLR or Marlin Golden Model 39-A. Every nick and scratch on my old .44 Bulldog is a memory.

So take that rifle out of the safe and make some memories with it, or sell the useless thing if you think it is too pretty to use in the field.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Most of my favorite shooters have lots of character......I'm being silly not shooting the .405 :wink: That first scratch is gonna hurt, tho :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
crow
Levergunner

Post by crow »

BlaineG wrote:Most of my favorite shooters have lots of character......I'm being silly not shooting the .405 :wink: That first scratch is gonna hurt, tho :lol:
Yep the first one does....but then there is relief because it is out of the way and you can get to enjoying that rifle fully.

I think the consensus is not just use it but ENJOY it.

Go for it mate.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin