Win 94 BB in .375

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Win 94 BB in .375

Post by gak »

I have a chance at a nice Win 94BB XTR in .375 for a relatively "no issue" price. (Top eject/pre-safety of course--yeah!). Talk me into - or out of - it! Outmoded? Spot on? (Short range elk or large deer, bear country camping, etc). What kind of utility/versatility could I see out of this? Dollars aside, does "everyone have to have one of these" in their life like lever law requires of .30-30s? :-)

I have an array of .30-30, 357, and .44 levers, as well as a .45-70 carbine and the obligatory deer/elk-bolt--so this is far from a "gotta do,"...but neither were the majority of the above guns! I have a friend with same BB. He has not shot his in ages (but also will not part with :-)). My recollection of his is that it was a gem--as all of those late 70s XTRs seemed to be. The last I inadvertantly checked (looking for other calibers), ammo was scarce--but not entirely impossible--at local pushers (probably not Wallyworld though, but that goes for a lot of other desirable calibers as well).
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Win 94 BB in .375

Post by 3leggedturtle »

YES YOU better buy it, :D Read Paco's articles on the 375 you'll be amazed, I passed 1 up a year ago wish I could go back and buy it
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, buy it! Good for all the above, AND more!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Buy it!! They are gems. A while back, I helped a friend work up loads in his (a minty, early top eject .375). Just for load development, he put on a Weaver side mount and 2-7X Leupold. Load development took exactly 2 afternoons. One to chronograph ascending powder charges of RL-7 (well known "magic powder" for the .375) plus the Hornady .375 FN, and the second to accuracy test the top 3 charges. One grain below max. was the winner. By letting the barrel cool thoroughly between each 3-shot group, we got 4 consecutive three-shot groups that averaged 1.6" at 100. The excellent, factory trigger helped... It is really slick and smooth operating, and far nicer than most of the later 94's. Now, he's got a Williams peep sight on it, and it is a light, handy rifle at about 6.5 lbs that packs some serious smack-down for hogs and deer...

There weren't all that many of these made, there won't be any more, and prices just continue to rise. If you handload, ammo is a non-issue. Even if you don't, there is at least 1 small company that turns out reasonably-priced hunting ammo. (It's been mentioned on this site in the past, but I forget the name.) If you cast your own gas-checked bullets, you can get very significant power, penetration and performance with bullets that cost very little. I'd say you might oughta consider getting one while the getting is good! :D

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

A .38-55 on steroids!

(And I love the .38-55).
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Thanks for the responses to this point - keep 'em coming! Checking on the status today, they never got back to me; will check first thing tomorrow.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Great rifles! I had one for many years but recently sold it when I found a Marlin 375 that seems to suit my tastes better. Like others have said, 36-37 gr. of RL7 with the Hornady 220 seems to be perfection.
NRA Life Member
Motex66
Levergunner

Post by Motex66 »

Buy it I wouldn't sell the one I got from TedH. John
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

I've got the .375 Marlin and really like it. If you're lookin' for some decently priced ammo, try here (mine shoots it very well)

http://www.wisconsincartridge.com/produ ... dproduct=1
We are responsible for leaving the same legacy of freedom and rights given to us for our children and grandchildren.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I miss mine - you won't be sorry, if you get it, I can guarantee that !

new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

is that a trick question ??

Cheers,

Carl

p.s. I concur with edsguns on the Wisconsin ammo. great stuff.
timkelley
Levergunner 1.0

Post by timkelley »

Will do in any critter short of the big bears and perhaps even them if you do your part,
Great lead shooter and strong enough make your shoulder cry if you want to load that way. I prefer to use high-end 38-55 load data myself.
Thanx, Tim Kelley
NRA Life
SFC US Army Ret.
crow
Levergunner

Post by crow »

I just inherited a BB94 Top Eject model prob early 80's...fired about 40 rounds tops.

Some rust spots due to careless storage...but in fairness VGC for rifle untouched for 20+ years.

Bore is perfect.... I could not have been happier...except maybe if it had been in 405 Win... :lol:

BTW can anyone recommend a sidemount scope mount for this rifle...my eyes ain't what they used to be and this rifle is gunna get some use once the clearance papers come through.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin
2row
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 2row »

Hi guys I have 2 of the 375 win. one is top ej the other is angle an a half cock with a bull barrell got it from a guy who worked for WIN. an built it for himself oh yes no rebound hammer eather I realy like both of them all I shoot is cast in both.an they will ring your Bell if you like levers.like others have said good for hogs an deer that is what I've used them for. I would buy another one if given the chance. at the right price
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
And most do NOT have a very oversized throat area. Both mine have a nice .376 throat rather than the Fat throats that are standard on the 38-55´s .. try and find standard molds that drop a .382 bullet for them 38-55 throats.
Fortunatly RanchDog addressed the situation.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Thanks folks. Still no answer back. Have gone by his place and no one home...hoping just gone for the holidays.