Does this look normal-Pt 2

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
xxclaro
Levergunner 1.0

Does this look normal-Pt 2

Post by xxclaro »

Alright, I got the .375 back out and had another look at it. To the naked eye, it looks okay at first. Depending on how I look at it,sometimes it looks like the front sight may be a bit canted,other times it looks like it's straight. One thing I noticed is that the little PW looking stamp on the barrel right in front of the reciever is not quite centred. Not sure if it should be,but seems odd. Anyhow, I put it in a vice and took some more pics. Not sure if they'll help,but let me know if you see anyting out of the ordinary-and thanks to all for the great info so far.Image
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Does this look normal-Pt 2

Post by rjohns94 »

are you right or left eye dominant???? that front sight looks darn near centered to me.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
xxclaro
Levergunner 1.0

Post by xxclaro »

I am left eye dominant but shoot right handed.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Looking from the muzzle end, the front sight looks to be canted to the left. But that wouldn't jive with where your rear sight has to be.
NRA Life Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

xxclaro,

The front sight IS tilted to the RIGHT as you look down the sights from the shouldered position. This indicates the barrel is not properly indexed. Looks to me like Winchester didn't tighten it all the way.

Now to confirm this take a section of cleaning rod, or a short piece of dowel rod and a rubber band. Put the rod in the rear sight dovetail and secure it with the rubber band. Then look at it.
I'll bet you a box of LR primers it's tilted to the right also.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
xxclaro
Levergunner 1.0

Post by xxclaro »

J Miller wrote:xxclaro,

The front sight IS tilted to the RIGHT as you look down the sights from the shouldered position. This indicates the barrel is not properly indexed. Looks to me like Winchester didn't tighten it all the way.

Now to confirm this take a section of cleaning rod, or a short piece of dowel rod and a rubber band. Put the rod in the rear sight dovetail and secure it with the rubber band. Then look at it.
I'll bet you a box of LR primers it's tilted to the right also.

Joe

Excellent idea, I'm glad I thought of that :mrgreen: Let me go try that.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

But is the barrel mis indexed, or is the front sight slot cut at an angle...IE: does the rear sight slot match the front? And one other thing, you are holding the gun in the least accurate position for determining this. It very likely that your mag tube is off center slightly and tilting the gun one way or another in the vise. Especially looking at picture #1 where the magazine is positioned left of center to the barrel. You need to be holding it by the receiver and using two parallel blocks of brass up against the mid point of the receiver.

Ed
xxclaro
Levergunner 1.0

Post by xxclaro »

Hey look,another Ed! Looks like us Ed's like leverguns. Your right,I should of used the receiver instead as it was a little shaky. I tried laying the gun across the corner of a table so that it rested on the flat bootom pertion of the reciever. Put a short rod across the rear sight slot and to my eye it looks level. I'm not real knowlegable about how the guns are made,but ing the barrel was not indexed properly,wouldn't that cause a misalignment in the extractor slot and extractor? It seems to be engaging properly. Also, I didn't notice any discrepancy at 50,100 and 200 yds as far as left/right impacts. Would the problem not manifest itself to a greater degree at longer ranges? Maybe I'm thinking about his wrong,but if I'm essentialy looking across the barrel, it seems to me that it would only be shooting to point of aim at one distance,and anything short of that point or beyond that point would result in the bullet hitting to one side. Maybe I'm way off base, you guys definitely have a lot more knowedge in this area than I do. I figured with the rear sight being that far off centre,any tilt in the barrel should be pretty obvious,or would a tiny fraction cause that much of a problem. Really appreciatte you guys taking hte time to ponder this,as it's got me baffled.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Can't be totally sure, but I think it is just your magazine tube is not exactly centered under the barrel. Slightly loosen the front magazine band screw and twist (push) the tube over to the right - when looking from the barrel end. BTW, that happens quite often when they are assembled/re-assembled.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
stanforth
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stanforth »

How does it shoot?
Surely that is what matters.
I have several guns with sights that look odd but as long as they shoot straight I leave them alone. My Evans has a foresight that look like a previous owner has been at it with a pair of pliers. He probably has and for a reason. It shoots with great acquaracy.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

stanforth, if you'll look at this first thread, you'll see that "the way it shoots" is what started this discussion.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=28377
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

To me the front sight appears canted to our left, the gun's right, which would have made the sight corrections you made necessary. IOW, the barrel would seem to be needing to be snugged up a bit but if the extractor cut is right then the sight is mounted wrong. I'd have it redone (correctly). It would irritate men no end.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
stanforth
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stanforth »

Chas. wrote:stanforth, if you'll look at this first thread, you'll see that "the way it shoots" is what started this discussion.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=28377
Sorry I missed the fact that this was part 2 of a serial. :mrgreen:
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I posted in the first thread on this. My BB94 sight is very slightly misaligned, as well, but in the other direction, actually.

I also asked if anyone knew when the front sight base holes were drilled in the manufacturing process. I think it should be last if it is a separate operation. I imagine, though, they may have a machine that does the front sight holes and the extractor cut at the same time. If that's the case, that machine was out of whack when both our rifles were built. Anyone know how that worked at WRAC back then?

Scott