Anyone ever use a tang sight on a take down?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Anyone ever use a tang sight on a take down?

Post by Canuck Bob »

Just wondering if POI wanders much with a take down equipped with a tang sight?

The gun I'm looking at is a new Miroku Winchester but experience with take downs of any type is appreciated.

thanks
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Re: Anyone ever use a tang sight on a take down?

Post by firefuzz »

I've got one on my Miroku '86 Winchester and it works fine. But I don't "take down" the gun very often. I've always been told that excessive use of this feature will cause it to loosen and I don't intend to find out.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I have tang sights on all my leverguns with about a dozen of them being takedowns. I never did notice any noticablechange of impact (after breaking them down) but then again, these are leverguns using cast bullets.

I use these rifles for hunting and competition and never saw a need for a sight change, but.........some guys are very anal about this. I'm happy if the bullets continue to hit "in the black".

About the only time I notice a change of impact is when the temperature drastically changes or especially when I am shooting at different elevations. I have to change my tang sight settings when shooting upstate or out West.--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I'm different than most folks in that I do not like tang mounted sights. To me, they interfere with gripping the wrist and it just doesn't feel right. I do favor receiver mounted peep sights, though. One of my .38-55s had a Lyman No 1 "D" tang sight mounted on it, but it was removed and is in a box somewhere in the garage. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

Mike D. wrote:I'm different than most folks in that I do not like tang mounted sights. To me, they interfere with gripping the wrist and it just doesn't feel right. I do favor receiver mounted peep sights, though. One of my .38-55s had a Lyman No 1 "D" tang sight mounted on it, but it was removed and is in a box somewhere in the garage. :|
That is what has always made me hesitant about a tang sight. How does one grip the gun when shooting? I like to wrap my thumb over the top of the tang when shooting. Where does one place their thumb with a tang sight? Is it harder to hold on to hard kickers using a tang sight? I would like a tang sight on my 480 Ruger Puma but I don't need it smacking my shooting glasses.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

NonPCnraRN wrote:
Mike D. wrote:I'm different than most folks in that I do not like tang mounted sights. To me, they interfere with gripping the wrist and it just doesn't feel right. I do favor receiver mounted peep sights, though. One of my .38-55s had a Lyman No 1 "D" tang sight mounted on it, but it was removed and is in a box somewhere in the garage. :|
That is what has always made me hesitant about a tang sight. How does one grip the gun when shooting? I like to wrap my thumb over the top of the tang when shooting. Where does one place their thumb with a tang sight? Is it harder to hold on to hard kickers using a tang sight? I would like a tang sight on my 480 Ruger Puma but I don't need it smacking my shooting glasses.
Put your thumb alongside the stock not over the stock. most top level shotguners [ and most of the books about shotgunning ] , say this is the proper way to hold anyway and and hard kickers it keepyour thumb from busting into your nose, like it can when it is over the wrist. with thumb alongside the wrist, the gun swings more smoothly when tracking a target. i made the switch 20 years ago, and now hold em that way even if there is no tang sight.
i ave tang sights on several takedowns, and dont see any problem. of course, if your lock of the barrel to action is loose on a takedown you will lack accuracy no matter what your sights are.
cable