Slickin a Rossi M92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TriggerPhinger
Levergunner

Slickin a Rossi M92

Post by TriggerPhinger »

I received the DVD from Steve < www.stevesgunz.com > and couldn't wait to watch it! Wow! I have read a bunch of Gun books and have worked on lots of guns (semis & bolts)! Most instructions are difficult to follow and lack sufficient detail for the casual gunny to follow! Steve's DVD is EXCELLENT! The detail is great and nothing is left to chance!

After I put a hundred rounds or so through my Rossi M92 I plan to rework the extractor / ejector and replace the mag follower.

BTW, I like Steve’s small peep sight replacement for the hammer block safety! My first thought was a Marble tang sight but it is about 1/4 the price I paid for the M92. At 75, my eyes need an aperture sight for good depth of field! I would like to hear some pros and cons on replacement sights.

Fred
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Slickin a Rossi M92

Post by retmech »

If a tang sight suits you Taurus makes one for their .22 that I have on 2 of my 92's and they sell it for $33 plus a few bucks shipping. You will need a longer stock screw which you can get from Brownells or Marble. The PN is 5-6273 and you can see it here: http://www.taurususa.com/accesories-tangsight.cfm
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have the Taurus tang sights (got mine cheaper - only $29 :roll: ), and they've given me NO trouble. I just couldn't see spending that much money on a Lyman (no windage adjustment) or Marble's (same design, maybe or maybe not 'better' made - I could replace mine two or three times before I'd hit break-even). Once sighted-in, I do dab a dot of Estes model rocket paint on the dial to hold it in place against accidental turning (such as when you hand the gun to a novice and he turns it while asking "what's this knob thingy do...?" :? ).

BELOW is a link with lots of pictures I posted of various aperture sights I've used, and a few I haven't used yet (scroll down the page halfway). I've described in the text some thoughts on which setups I like for what applications/guns (i.e. I'd put a Marble's Bullseye in the barrel dovetail for a 16" barreled .45 Colt 'boar/homestead defense' gun, and maybe a Taurus Tang on a 24" octagonal .357 'target/squirrel' gun, but a Williams FP on my 20" .44 Mag 'deer' gun).

- http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=20342
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Great link AJ, in my favorites now. I am facing the same issue. I need a peep but will be putting it on a Miroku 92. A side mount reciever sight is out due to looks. It will probably be a tang.

One question, many of the peeps seem to adjust elevation using a simple screw post that one elevates a half twist at a time. This seems very coarse for fine tuning ones sights. Is this true?

How does the little Taurus sight work for elevation?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote:<snip> (such as when you hand the gun to a novice and he turns it while asking "what's this knob thingy do...?" :? ).
Do you answer, "it used to make the CSI types extremely nervous, as that knob "thingie" made identifying the murder weapon impossible. Until some na-nob went and left his own DNA on it, insteada the victim's... so now I'm left with a choice... 'do I warn ya not do to that again, or find another implement?'"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TriggerPhinger
Levergunner

Post by TriggerPhinger »

I didn't expect so many good ideas! That Taurus sight sure sounds good compared to the Marble sight. Years ago I had a Marble sight on an old .35 Remington pump. My dad had me remove the aperture disk so I could see in low light. It worked out good! I think the term now is "ghost ring"!
I sure like this forum!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

IMO, for one of the best in traditional styled sights: Smith Enterprises.

For the best bargains: Jeff's Outfitters.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TriggerPhinger
Levergunner

Post by TriggerPhinger »

The sight at Jeff's looks good but they are out of stock! Thanks for the tip!
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

Canuck Bob wrote:

How does the little Taurus sight work for elevation?
The taurus is 8 "clicks" for one revolution. I shoot .38 level loads that run 1100 fps. When I go from a 50 yd zero to a 100 yd zero I go 3 full turns or 24 clicks (The load drops about 5 " the same as a std vel .22) . That is about the same as the Williams FP that I have on my Winnie 94 and with the same loads I go up 25 clicks. I'm guessing the elevation is roughly quarter minute.