QT PREWAR MAUSER

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

QT PREWAR MAUSER

Post by barbarossa »

Just picked up this Prewar Mauser in 8mm.Should make a nice woods rifle

Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Re: QT PREWAR MAUSER

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Fine find! The stock, the bolt handle and the octagonal barrel indicate that rifle is from the twenties or earlier. Are there any stampings on the bottom of the reciever and barrel base? The fine Apel scope mount costs about 350 Euros and is very reliable and handy.

Is it a I- or S-bore? You can measure the bore by tapping a conical piece of soft lead a quarter of an inch into the muzzle, and the measure it with a micro caliper. .318" makes an I-bore, and .323" makes a S-bore. American factory ammo can be used in both bores, as it is so soft that you don't get excessive pressure in the smaller I-version. However, both bores have with proper loads neraly the same prestanda as a .30-06 with comparable bullet weight.

If you handload, you can choose a bullet of proper diameter and enjoy the full power of this nice cartridge. Huntinton, Midway and other bigger retailers have bullets in both diameters, and for the .318" there are good bullets from Woodleigh and RWS. Most all bulletmakers have .323". IMR 4350 is a good powder for this cartridge.

If the bore is .318", it is a good advice to buy a Lee 8 mm Mauser tool, and polish the expander to .317", that the bullet seats safely in the brass. All dimensions but the the neck and bullet dimensions are identical, so 8x57ISbrass can be used, if you can't get properly stamped. Reloading data are the same for the I-version as for the S, but max loads should be two grains less.

B.T.W. it's one of my favorite calibers. I have Brno M21 and a drilling in it. Last winter a bagged a moose with the drilling's rimmed 8x57IR. It took ten steps and dropped.

Old Sh.
Last edited by Old Shatterhand on Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Barrel is half oct/round with full rib marked Fluss Stahl Kruup Essen and is a type B pattern mauser no 128.It is the standard .323 bore as well.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

VERY nice rifle.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Nice rifle, very nice. Does it have the 19 degree shoulder angle or the 21 degree(actually 20.48')? On the military 98's they tried to convert all to the 19 degree, but most of the conversions were done between 1930 and 1938. Even though the armories updated ancillary government 98's, quite a few in civilian hands did not get converted. Also, most of the Commission 88's that were NOT shipped to Turkey (or other countries) did not get updated either. Do not fret too much though as the shoulder angle can be "fire" formed using even factory US ammo.

http://www.forsterproducts.com/store.asp?pid=26986
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Gosh that's lovely. What's the barrel length?

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Barrel length is 23 inches
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

that is one fine looking rifle. I bought an M-48E a few years ago with the thoughts of one day turning it into a sporting rifle with lines similar to that. It's hard not to like the old 8mm too.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great find.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...