O/T: Camping on the Lost Coast of CA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

O/T: Camping on the Lost Coast of CA

Post by CowboyTutt »

The weather here in Ukiah, CA was getting hot with daily temps in the mid to high nineties since I returned from visiting friends and family in Southern California on my Harley. I was looking for someplace to go motorcycle camping that was close to me as I was weary of very long trips but still wanted to get away and preferably, cool off! The main road in Lassen National Park was just opening due to late snows and all the campgrounds were not open. Also, there was “road destruction” er, uh, I mean “construction” going on which on a motorcycle is particularly annoying as you sit in traffic and your motor starts to run hot. I decided to postpone my journey there and after checking weather go and camp on the Lost Coast at Mattole Beach.

Incidentally, the best online weather services I know of are the National Weather Service which allows you to drag an “X” to your exact co-ordinates for a forecast instead of the nearest town or weather tower and Weather Underground which has great radar and road trip planning features. They can be seen at the following sites:

http://www.noaa.gov

http://www.wunderground.com

I rigged up the foam and non-slip material covered platform I use to carry my gear over the small luggage rack with my back pack as well as a small day pack and cooler with foods and beverages. The additional items made my load unusually top heavy and taxed my suspension. This was not noticeable on the highway but the pot holes and short sections of hard pack gravel road were particularly tricky and there were a couple of scary moments on the way.

I arrived Friday afternoon with the temperature being in the very welcome 70's. The forecast for Saturday was supposed to be clear and I hoped it would be accurate. I unloaded the bike and went back into Petrolia for firewood. I was able to load up two large boxes onto the empty platform using my tie down system.

There are signs warning of bears at the campground but the only critters I saw were squirrels and rabbits. There was a squirrel who lived under a fallen tree right next to my camp site. He chittered for a while until my neighbors dog saw him. The squirrel's reaction to seeing the dog was very humorous as his chirping became extremely agitated before he ran for cover! The dog saw the movement and began searching around the fallen tree but couldn't find the little guy. I've always been surprised at just how smart squirrels can be.

Here's a pic of the lil' guy on “sentry duty”.

Here's a pic of a rabbit in the foliage next to my camp site table.

Later that night I grilled up a small seasoned Tri-tip steak wrapped in one layer of heavy duty tin foil directly on the hot coals. I use a set of welding gloves so I can handle the steak or hot logs of the fire. In this way you can still brown the surface of the meat then move it off to the side to let it cook through. The advantage of this method is you don't need to bring BBQ tools, grills or grates your self and can cook on any open fire.

I awoke early Saturday morning and sure enough, it was sunny and virtually clear of clouds. Breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs, Chorizo and potatoes with a side of good coffee. I loaded up my day pack with crackers, cheese, beef jerky and sport drinks and headed off South along the waters edge where the sand was firmer and the scenery better than along the cliffs and dunes.

Along the way I was surprised to find what had washed ashore onto the beach. I found a displaced starfish and later a sea urchin. It was low tide during my walk and I was able to explore the tide pools.

What really startled me though was when I lifted my eyes from the sand just ahead of me to find two sets of dark eyes staring at me from in the water! I think they were harbor seals and they were swimming around in the kelp beds. They often surfaced and would bob on the tide and we would just look at each other. I decided to stop there and enjoyed a snack of cheese, crackers and beef jerky while sitting on the beach observing them. I saw as many as 3 at a time in a small area.

The weather stayed perfect all day and even until very late at night and I was able to star gaze and see the Milky Way. I enjoyed another good fire and steak and talked to my campground neighbors who were great people.

Sunday morning the coastal fog was pretty thick again and I enjoyed a leisurely cup of coffee and some good breakfast conversation with my neighbors again. I was feeling pretty perky and restless after the good coffee and decided to pack up and hit the road. I went back home the way I had come through the town of Honeydew rather than risk the potential problem of having to drive inside a marine layer on the rough road to Ferndale. I have had that happen before and the resulting poor visibility and wet roads were treacherous on an unladen motorcycle much less one loaded up heavily like mine. I had an easy ride back to 101 negotiating all the same potholes and unpaved areas as before and was home by 3pm or so.

All in all, a great weekend trip and I arrived home feeling very refreshed and invigorated.

As always, thanks for listening.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: O/T: Camping on the Lost Coast of CA

Post by Nath »

Bootifull CT. We like a good ride too.

Tomorrow we are attending a UK Buell enthusiasts group meet :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Looks like you really had a great time! Thanks for sharing the photos! I especially liked the one showing the tidal pool;there is always so much interesting life to be found in those!
That regular urchin looks like a Strongylocentrotus purpuratus.
Last edited by milton on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

A good report. A pic of yer motorsickle all loaded up was all I was missing. Otherwise a great read.
Certified gun nut
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Nath, I was thinking of you when I saw all the rabbits! You would have spotted everyone of them. I've been working on my Buell 1125 CR suspension settings and seem to pretty well have them all sorted out. When you get close, even 1/8th of a turn makes a big difference. I'm going to Laguna Seca a week from now to watch the Moto GP races. Should be very interesting this year.

Jack, here is a pic of my HD all loaded up on a different trip to Utah. I put a back pack on the back with tie-downs and a bungy net over it for loose items like clothing and the sleeping bag goes on the front.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

And here's a pic I took with my cell phone on this trip all loaded up with firewood:

-Tutt

furrow
Levergunner

Post by furrow »

Thanks for the tour.....is that a Dyna Street BOB?

Chris
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Yup. Good looking bikes. I spent almost 2k on the suspension upgrades and it really handles and rides nice now, so I call it my "Sport Bob"! :D

-Tutt

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Beautiful.

You are single. Obviously. :D

And you need a Jeep Wrangler :wink:

You could put the top down and get the air in your hair experience and be able to carry more stuff - and maybe even a.... woman :o

:wink:

Thanks for sharing the great pics - makes me want to grab my woman and go do the same... in my Jeep. :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Yeah, both my friends have Jeep Rubicons and I'll probably get something like it when I replace the Volvo XC. However, there are times when the whole point is to TAKE the bike and travel solo! -Tutt

Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Man I agree on the thought about going ALONE on a bike with minimal equipment. Weekend rides on the Great River Road along the Mississippi River or a week long trip to the Black Hills. Less can be more.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

GREAT report, CT!

I enjoyed the pix and skimmed the article, but will read it in detail tonight. Thanks for the vicarious camping trip!
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Tutt - Great report of what looks like a great time. I got a kick out of O.S.O.K.'s comment. I've done almost all of my travelling solo. Unless you've got a really great woman with you it can take all of the fun out of a trip. Congratulations to those who do have such a lady.

Great photos and report. Thanks for letting us take a look. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Thanks guys. I've taken women tent camping with me from time to time but I have to set the whole trip up around making them comfortable. I don't mind doing it as I certainly want them to have a nice time, but sometimes solo or with a good buddy is the only way to see remote primitive areas where there aren't showers available! And sometimes even the company of your best friend is simply one person too many and the solitude of being in a remote area of say, the Sierra's or the Rockies, is soooo nice. -Tutt

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Bikes are different. I know. I like em too but there's that other driver not seeing you thing. I don't want my boys riding them, so the Wrangler will have to do :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I hear you, O.S.O.K, I do! I have a Volvo XC with AWD and it has served me pretty well for off-road camping into some pretty backwood areas. But I do need something a little tougher and more capable than it but with more carrying capacity. 4x4 camping is another love of mine. -Tutt

octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Thanks for the pics! I was just up that way playing a slide guitar show for a bunch of bikers - great fun and great guys. I have rode that back road into Ferndale and it is one step above a goat trail in the fog, I have some good memories of the Black Sand Beach, lived in Blue Lake a few years...
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sounds like you had a great time, Tutt. Thanks for the pics.
Old Law Dawg
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

The bike pics are very good Tutt :D

When I watch the GP on TV I will look out for you in the crowd :lol: Have a good time :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
happyhunter
Levergunner

Post by happyhunter »

Thanks for the picts. Sure looks nice along the shore. I always enjoy outdoor picts.
I'd like to do the bike trip thing someday. Right now we have 5 kids, 2 to 15 years old. The bike thing will wait. We want to do some camping in central PA mountains this summer at a campground. I want to do a backpack hunting trip this fall in mountains of PA. I will post picts for yall then.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hunter, I look forward to those pics someday!

Nath, at the bottom of the downhill portion of the "Corkscrew" there is a line of RV's at a right angle overlooking the track. Look for the one with the Buell flag flying proudly over it. That will be us!

-Tutt

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

CowboyTutt wrote:Hunter, I look forward to those pics someday!

Nath, at the bottom of the downhill portion of the "Corkscrew" there is a line of RV's at a right angle overlooking the track. Look for the one with the Buell flag flying proudly over it. That will be us!

-Tutt
:lol: I thought it was a real long shot seeing you on our TV, but I may be in with a chance now, cool 8) Take care.

Just watched Rossi battle for third with Stoner in Germany, boy he is something else what with a broken leg n' all.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

O.S.O.K. You are right about the dangers of the other drivers not seeing bikes. People pull out in front of semi's because they don't see something that big. I had both of my knee's replaced over a 13 month period. I didn't ride for three years while I was going through all the issues before surgeries and then rehabbing them. I thought I was going to kick the bike habit. It came back too strong this spring and I'm back in the saddle again. Some people ride for a few years because their friends are riding for a few years. I don't know too many who have ridden for several decades, but if it's in your blood like it is mine and Tutt's there ain't no fighting it. I have seen some of the most beautiful sights this great country has to show, and it's better on a motorcycle for me.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I had my only really significant wreck about 7 years ago when a freeway overpass that connected Hwy 60 Westbound to Hwy 15 south in CA that was covered in diesel oil mid day. I hit it and rode over it as long as I could before I finally had to brake to avoid going over the guard rail and falling to the 15 below. I had 3 fractures in my left hand and a complex laceration (big hole) on the back of that same hand. Bad bruises and a back strain. I recovered OK and invested in some good kevlar weave riding gear with gloves that sport titanium armor on them. Not very "pirate worthy" but I'm well protected. Here's a pic of me riding at about 65 with a small cooler on the back. My friend Joel took it from his car, a nice new 2010 Chevy Camaro. -Tutt

Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

Great story and pics Mr Tutt...

I gave up motorcycle riding about 15 years ago I now mostly drive a 4X4 Ford HD Diesel now... :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wow Andy - looks like an awesome trip!!! :D