I've been thinking about collecting Browning Winchesters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

I've been thinking about collecting Browning Winchesters

Post by cubrock »

I've owned two Browning 1886 SRCs and sold one due to stupidity and the other because I was stupid to buy it on impulse when I didn't really have the money. A while back, I was looking hard at a Browning 53. It seems to me, that if a man bought one of each Browning Winchester copy in standard grade, one would have every lever need covered (save maybe a .22) in style and have a darn nice collection at the same time. As far as I know, it would consist of:

Browning 92 in .357 and .44
Browning 53 in .32-20
Browning 65 in .218 Bee
Browning 1886 SRC in .45-70
Browning 1886 rifle in .45-70

I'm not sure if either the 53 or 65 were made in .25-20, but that would be dandy, too.

It is hard to imagine a collection of finer guns that can be shot guilt-free and with planning and patience is attainable for the average working man over a period of years. To that end, I have wondered about attempting to assemble such a collection once my business stabilizes and I have a more regular cash flow than I have for the past year.

What say ye?
.........THE TWINS..........

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Why not? I've collected worse with less planning...;)
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

That would make for a dandy collection! Don't forget the:

Browning 71 in .348 (carbine and rifle)
Browning 1895 in 30-40 Kraig and 30-06

Also the Browning (Winchester) Model 12 shotgun

(Note: neither the 53 nor 65 were issued in 25-20)
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

mod71alaska wrote:That would make for a dandy collection! Don't forget the:

Browning 71 in .348 (carbine and rifle)
Browning 1895 in 30-40 Kraig and 30-06

Also the Browning (Winchester) Model 12 shotgun

(Note: neither the 53 nor 65 were issued in 25-20)

How could I forget the 71 and the 95s? :oops: Thanks! :D

Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

It would be a Darned nice collection, except a 30-30 is missing! Cant have that :D
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Well, here is my start:

M71
and hopefully a few more....that is a M65 in .218 Bee on the right:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I guess I've started, too. I've got a 1895 in .30-40 and a 1886 SRC. :wink: Frankly, I don't know how you'd afford them. Right now it would take one heck of a lot of money to get mine from me. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

keep us posted!!! Sounds like a great collection.
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Hobie wrote:I guess I've started, too. I've got a 1895 in .30-40 and a 1886 SRC. :wink: Frankly, I don't know how you'd afford them. Right now it would take one heck of a lot of money to get mine from me. :lol:

Hobie,

I think if someone put their gun-acquiring effort into it, most people could find a way to do it in 10 or 15 years tops. I forgot that I've also owned a 71, which I didn't own long because of buying the 1886 SRC...shouldn't have bought the 71 either, but was wanting a Browning.

To do it, I'd have to stop picking up orphaned Rugers, Smiths, and Marlins. But, I've got all I really need in those categories.

At any rate, we'll see how business shapes up this year. If I do well, I'll start with an 86 SRC. From there, I'll go with a 53, 65, or 92, depending on what I find that strikes my fancy. I know a friend with an 86 rifle NIB that he offered to me several months ago, so I might have to give him a call first....

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

What would an NIB Model 71 Carbine be going for in approx #s these days?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Old Savage wrote:What would an NIB Model 71 Carbine be going for in approx #s these days?
I'm not sure. Haven't seen one for sale in quite a while. Since NIB 71s are getting $800 easy and $1000 often, I'd guess the carbines would get at least that much. You got one you are thinking of selling? :wink: Not that I can afford it.....

mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Cubrock...

I think NIB Browning 71s for even $1000 are a thing of the past now.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

mod71alaska wrote:Cubrock...

I sold mine for less than that just a few months ago and it took a little while. Didn't realize they had jumped that much so quickly. Guess I shoulda hung onto it a little longer. :D

pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

cubrock wrote:
mod71alaska wrote:Cubrock...

I sold mine for less than that just a few months ago and it took a little while. Didn't realize they had jumped that much so quickly. Guess I shoulda hung onto it a little longer. :D
Me too. I think I got $750 for my NIB (yes, I actually had the box) carbine, and I made a few dollars on the sale.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

the 95 30-06 gives you a "all planet battery". i'm looking for a repro src myself, but can't, as of yet, find one at a sane price.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

The Brownings are great, and IMHO often better finished, and fitted then the originals. I have had several of the later Winchesters made after the Brownings, pass through my hands, but every Browning reproduction I ever bought I still own. The actions are slicker, and no added safetys or rebounding hammers.

I currently own the following:

Browning 95 in 30-06, I had two of the later Winchesters but both are gone, because there is no comparison.

Browning High Grade 1886 SRC, once again I had a Winchester Extra Lightweight made later, but it had missfiring problems, and got traded off, but this Browning is not leaving.

Browning 92 Centenial 44 mag, never had a Winchester in this gun, but had two Rossi Puma 92's, both gone because both were jammers and had rough actions, but this Browning is has a very slick action, and is not going anywhere, until I am too old to shoot it.

Browning 78 single shot in 45/70, once again, very slick, and accurate, and I doubt if I ever trade it off.

Never owned a Browning 71, although I have passed up several great deals in the past, but since i now have two original 71's, I don't know if I will ever get one of those, However I wouldn't be surprised if the Browning 71 would outshoot the original Winchester 71.

There was a Browning 1886 with a long octagon barrel on gunbroker, I would love to have, but I have spent too much on guns lately to consider it.

I also have a Browning BL22 and two Browning BLR's, they're not going anywhere either.

Have I said anything yet that would give you a clue that I like Brownings?

OH! and I have 3 Browning A5's, still my favorite semi-auto shotgun, of all time.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

If I didn't specialize in old Winchesters, I'd get outfitted with the Browning/Miroku's. Excellent quality and a good selection of old levergun reproductions.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

but of course!

Post by big bear »

I just can't figure out how I slept on them back in the day :cry: I have and will keep Browning 71 rifle and carbine, 92 in 44mag. 1895(30'06),and 1886SRC high grade. I've also resolved to buy any Browning lever I come across,at a reasonable price, as you can always sell them, but you sure as heck can't find em! Lucky for me I don't live down south in US of a A or I'd be broker than a you know what... with all those pretty Browning levers floating around on the auction sites! Just my 2cents.The Browning 71's are a tad more accurate the the original71s but thaey don't feel exactly the same, when you work the actions. Its not just wear either as I have an as new original 71 to compare with. Gonna work on getting some serious wear on my Browning 71 rifle to see if I can get that same smoothness, back to the reload bench, it's snowing again.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ah great - just what I needed - another theme to my collecting habit. :roll:

Steve, it is a wonderful plan!!!
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

what a plan indeed!

Post by brucew44guns »

Steve, your plan has no flaws at all. Im 63, my dad gave me his original deluxe 71 when I was 18, that's 45 years ago. # 40XX, an early one. I love that rifle, killed many deer and one elk in Oregon. When the 1886's came out in 1986, I got the octagon barreled Lo grade model first, 479.00 brand new. Later, the 71's were issued, I got a new rifle length in Lo grade I believe in about 1987 or 1988, brand new for 599.00. Then a SRC in 1886 model popped up NIB for 675.00, I grabbed it. Then in about 2000, my new wife bought me the carbine Lo grade 71, 795.00 NIB in Kansas. Then just 2 years ago, I lucked onto the HI grades in model 71's both in rifle and carbine, NIB and untouched by human hands, beautiful. So with 6 of those 8 rifles that were issued, Im feeling pretty good right about now. When I got the 2 Hi grade 71's, the man had the Hi grade 1886 carbine, 1395.00. I was spent out by then however, but would only need the long Hi grade 86 to complete the 8 gun set, should have stole a car or something to buy it too. You get busy and buy those guns for yourself, they are wonderful, and don't saw on them, weld on them, chop down the wood, or straighten out levers etc, they work fine as is. I think I would vomit if someone tied me up and lit a torch to start re-designing my Brownings. Bruce
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

cubrock wrote:
Hobie wrote:I guess I've started, too. I've got a 1895 in .30-40 and a 1886 SRC. :wink: Frankly, I don't know how you'd afford them. Right now it would take one heck of a lot of money to get mine from me. :lol:

Hobie,

I think if someone put their gun-acquiring effort into it, most people could find a way to do it in 10 or 15 years tops. I forgot that I've also owned a 71, which I didn't own long because of buying the 1886 SRC...shouldn't have bought the 71 either, but was wanting a Browning.

To do it, I'd have to stop picking up orphaned Rugers, Smiths, and Marlins. But, I've got all I really need in those categories.

At any rate, we'll see how business shapes up this year. If I do well, I'll start with an 86 SRC. From there, I'll go with a 53, 65, or 92, depending on what I find that strikes my fancy. I know a friend with an 86 rifle NIB that he offered to me several months ago, so I might have to give him a call first....
I could probably do it tomorrow if I could find the guns and was willing to sell something. :lol: I'm sorry but that last just tickled me. Sell something... :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Re: what a plan indeed!

Post by cubrock »

brucew44guns wrote:You get busy and buy those guns for yourself, they are wonderful, and don't saw on them, weld on them, chop down the wood, or straighten out levers etc, they work fine as is. I think I would vomit if someone tied me up and lit a torch to start re-designing my Brownings. Bruce

I have would have no intention of modifying any of them, with the possible extension of an appropriate tang sight on a couple of the models. Even that is up for debate, though.

You have a nice collection going there! I sure wish I had been smarter when I was younger and had bought a few of these when they came out rather than waiting until now.

kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

And don't forget that cute little Model 42 pump shotgun in 410!!!
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Here's a 95 TD in 30-06 for sale locally that I want, to start my collection...
http://www.cherrys.com/stokpics/20737agn.jpg