load suggestions 45-70,suggestions wanted

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

load suggestions 45-70,suggestions wanted

Post by big bear »

I have gathered some brass, Win and Fed LR primers and Rem 405 bullets. I want to put together some loads for my Browning 1886SRC that will shoot close to POA at 100yds. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Going to reload after work tomorrow, thanks.The carbine has that weird ladder sight. It's a high grade, I got great deal, I think, on it second hand. No intention to put tang sight on it or put holes in receiver for Williams sight,it 's the only pretty rifle I've ever had.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Big Bear, there is no way to tell what will shoot to point of aim with your rifle. Just pick a load from reliable data and work up your load and see what happens.
I usually start with the powder that givs the most velocity with the least pressure BUT that is not allways the most accurate or best load. :wink:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Factory ammo didn't quite shoot POA in my gun but every gun is different. Have you shot any factory ammo in the gun? What did it do? This will give us a starting point.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I think your saying theres no elevation adjustment when its flipped down right?

If thats the case you might be able to find a load if its close. You might end up needing a shorter or taller front sight if thats doable.

I have a Marlin with the carbine sight & I filed it down until it was on. Almost ran out of sight but I couldn't change the front one. I found a load it shot well, but 16" high at 50 yards & started into fileing.

If it was a modern gun I woulda put that sight in a drawer & drifted in a regular semibuckhorn or, better yet a peep of some kind if its drilled & tapped.

Even tho my gun shoots well now with that load I'd rather be able to move things around. I never shot it with the ladder up but it seems too high for my uses.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Re: load suggestions 45-70,suggestions wanted

Post by Lastmohecken »

big bear wrote:I have gathered some brass, Win and Fed LR primers and Rem 405 bullets. I want to put together some loads for my Browning 1886SRC that will shoot close to POA at 100yds. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Going to reload after work tomorrow, thanks.The carbine has that weird ladder sight. It's a high grade, I got great deal, I think, on it second hand. No intention to put tang sight on it or put holes in receiver for Williams sight,it 's the only pretty rifle I've ever had.
I recond I have the same exact gun you are describing, and I am going through the same thing with the sights. I have only shot mine a few times using the 300gr. Factory load. I have not shot it at 100yds yet, but at fifty yards and closer, my gun is dead on target with the sight layed down. Of course every gun is a law unto it self, but that might give you a starting point.

For my own use, the factory ladder sight, just might work, if stay with the 300 gr factory loads, but I may want more flexibility then that. The upturned ladder might solve that issue for other loads, but I am debating on drilling and tapping mine for a Williams Fool Proof receiver sight, but that may require a front sight change too. I would like to come up with a sourdough sight for the front anyway.

At anyrate, I know what you are going through. The guns are almost too pretty to hunt with, and I figure anything you do to one, like drill and tapping for a recevier sight will lower it's value, should you decide to sell it. But this gun is the best 45/70 leveraction I have ever owned, bar none, and I am going to have to hunt with, and my eyes are not getting any better. However, that ladder sight is pretty easy to see, and would be better if I opened up the square notch just a little to get a little more daylight around the front blade. At the very least, I will probably end up doing that.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Hobie wrote:Factory ammo didn't quite shoot POA in my gun but every gun is different. Have you shot any factory ammo in the gun? What did it do? This will give us a starting point.
Tried someof the Lever revolution stuff, shot 10-12 inches low at 100meters.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Big Bear, I've got a few loads for the cast 405 grain bullets. What velocity do you want to use?
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

KirkD wrote:Big Bear, I've got a few loads for the cast 405 grain bullets. What velocity do you want to use?
Just starting to work with this calibre/rifle so all data would be helpful. Where did you get your cast bullets? Or are they homemade? thanks!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I used to use only 405 grain gas check bullets, but in an effort to cut down expenses, I'm now using 405 grain cast plain base bullets. I get them a 1,000 at a time from a local caster. 1,000 cast 405 grain bullets weigh about 58 pounds, so it's good not to have to pay shipping.

These loads will get you started and you can fine tune them to suit your needs.

21 grains IMR 4198 & 1 sheet of 1-ply toilet paper filler under a 405 GC for 1,037 fps (3-shot group at 100 yards of 1 & 7/8")
27 grains of 5744 & 1 sheet of 1-ply toilet paper filler under a 405 grain plain base for 1,339 fps
30 grains of IMR 4198 & 1 sheet of 1-ply toilet paper filler under a 405 grain GC for 1,400 fps
26 grains of SR4759 & 1 sheet of 1-ply toilet paper filler under a 405 grain plain base bullet (didn't chrono it) (5-shot group @ 100 yards of 2 & 9/16")

If you want to shoot POA at 100 yards, vary the velocity. If it is shooting too high, increase your velocity (yes ... increase). If it is shooting too low, reduce your velocity. You may find that something around 1,400 fps might be close, but a lot depends upon the height of your front sight.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

KirkD,

How do you insert the toilet paper filler? Do you roll it up, or fold it in a certain way, lay it centered over the case mouth and push in with a dowel pin, etc.? I was just wondering if it mattered. I am sure your goal is to keep the powder back next to the primer for better inition. How fast can you push the non-gas check bullet before you get a leading problem?
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

I do not reload yet. I said that first so you can take anything I say with a grain of salt. From what I have read and from some friends, who have alot of experience, just keep the loads at "level 1" ie. original pressures and you will be VERY happy with the 45-70 on the range or in the field, heavy loads are great but not needed in "most" cases. I have my Marlin 45-70 sighted in for commercial heavy loads only because it's primary use is as a protection gun in bear country. I hunt with my 375 Winchester. I know this doesn't answer your question but I am feeling unusually talkative tonight :D
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Lastmohecken I use single ply (which means that I separate the two layers and pull them apart to get two strips of very thin toilet paper). I then tear off a sheet and fold it in half. I then loosely roll up the folded piece, then loosely fold the roll in half. I then insert the butt ends of the folded roll into the case and push it down with a pencil or something like that. Then I seat the bullet. I like fairly soft cast bullets, around 8 BHN. The fastest I've pushed the soft cast in my 45-70 is 1,400 fps and get no leading, provided I'm using toilet paper (which acts as a gas check, as well as holding the powder against the primer giving lower E.S.'s). I have used 8 BHN soft cast bullets in my 38-55 at up to 1,500 fps without leading, but again, I was using toilet paper. Anything over 1,500 fps, I like to use a harder cast bullet and a real gas check, not toilet paper. Never use toilet paper in a bottle neck cartridge and never use toilet paper at higher end loads and never use toilet paper with powders faster than 2400. Those are my rules. I know some have broken those rules, like Snooky Williamson, who used toilet paper with some very hot loads, but I like to be a little cautious.