OT - On Praise of Coleman Lanterns- update the '52 lives!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

OT - On Praise of Coleman Lanterns- update the '52 lives!

Post by wecsoger »

Stopped at a yard sale on way home from work couple weeks ago. In the midst of the usual kid's clothes, glue-gun crafts, junk housewares were a couple rusty old lanterns. Colemans, marked at three dollars apiece. Lady sitting in the lawn chair saw me pick one up to look at it and yelled over, 'just take them all at three bucks.

As my wife knows, that was the wrong thing to say!

So get them home, start looking them over. They are the original little red lantern from Coleman production. Single mantle, white gas. Interestingly enough, one of them is the rare '52 black ring model Other one was made in '60's and can't tell for one, too much rust on the bottom. Oh, yeah, collectors, don't get your hopes up, the '52 one is in pretty rough shape.

Last week I commenced to strip and clean as best I could. Seals on caps are toast, of course. Still had fuel in them, that kept tanks from rusting much. Did minor repair, bending, cleaning, oiling and all that was needed. They weren't operational until I got in there and cleaned and repaired.

U.S.A. made, honest steel, brass and leather.

Have to get two of the new one piece caps and a globe. Looks like after that, I can have all three operational.

Just fired one up. And yes, for something forty to fifty years old, it lights quite nicely. What other products from that era can make that claim, that they can still be used?

Now I'm waiting for dark so I can sit out on the back porch. I'm going to marvel and grin at my new lantern.
Last edited by wecsoger on Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: OT - On Praise of Coleman Lanterns

Post by Terry Murbach »

IT WAS COLEMAN WHO TURNED BACK THE NIGHT IN RURAL AMERICA FOR MANY YEARS, NOT EDISON.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have two old Coleman lanterns I've used in my camping gear for many years. One is an old Large hood the other a small hood. Both green, double mantle units. Several years ago we just had a tornado miss us. Springfield was out of electricity for three days. During those three cold March days my old Coleman lanterns and camp stove kept us in light and cooked food. I did have to oil them up and switch caps around but they still work.

Those are on my list of things to NEVER part with.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul Jenkins »

Those are on my list of things to NEVER part with.
Amen, I have early 60's vintage that have kept me in light and hot food many times.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

And if you do winter camping... Light AND Heat in abundance especially in a tent...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I couldn't imagine being out and about without my Coleman lanterns.
Old Law Dawg
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Yep I have a propane one that my folks bought when I was just a kid I still use it thing works great.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I still have the ones that I bought new in the 60's, when my kids were few & little - and I used to take them camping.

FWIW, There's NOTHING better, for following a blood trail after dark !

BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I have a couple of those single mantel Coleman I like them better than the double mantel as they are to big and bulky for packing. danny
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I've got several. Say what you will about battery power and bulbs they go out at the worst of times. With th old Coleman, keep a few spare mantles and some white gas around, and you're good to go come what may. That and my old coleman stove would make any camping trip a breeze.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

wecsoger wrote:What other products from that era can make that claim, that they can still be used?
Well. . . me, so far. . . :?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I take one with me down the trail during deer season - it's like daytime at 4 am.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Fiddler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fiddler »

My favorite Coleman lantern memories were quiet summer nights in the Tampa Bay area when I was a kid in the 1950's and 60's. When you'd arrive at one of the many bridges people fished from, the first sight that greeted you were dozens of Coleman lanterns hanging from ropes along the span of the bridge. These were lowered to within inches of the water to attract shrimp, squid, and small baitfish, which seemed mesmerized by the light and hung around in the glow. This, in turn, attracted snook (a large and highly sought-after saltwater game fish).
The lanterns provided the only light and we'd fish quietly, the only sound being the hiss of the lanterns or a few murmured conversations. I was always fascinated by the variety of sea creatures swimming in and out of the lantern's glow.
Once in a while a ruckus would suddenly break out when somebody hooked a snook. The wildly thrashing fish would sometimes splash the nearest lantern before a bystander could pull it out of the way. These lanterns would violently hiss and steam for a few seconds, but I can't recall any of them breaking.
After the fish was landed or lost, all would become peaceful and serene again.
Those long ago summer nights were the high point of my youth. Those Coleman lanterns made the experience rather magical.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

wecsoger,

Question: How are you dating the lanterns?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

AJMD429 wrote:
wecsoger wrote:What other products from that era can make that claim, that they can still be used?
Well. . . me, so far. . . :?
:lol: :lol:

I have 3 Coleman propane lanterns and 2 dual fuel models that have all seen use in the last several years. We my kids set up their households one of each was in their "house warming" package from me. With the ice storms and tornado's taking out the power around here for days at a time they've all been used more than once.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

I like the sound they make. My Dad let me and my brother fire them
up when we were camping. Made us feel doubly important. AND the light they provided
held at bay all of the scary things the darkness hides. :shock:

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Question: How are you dating the lanterns?

The '52 production run is denoted by the black ring around the bottom of the globe and the pump cap is held on by screws, not a metal "C" clip.

Also you can check on the very bottom of the fuel reservoir, there's a two digit date there. The 1952 is, of course, stamped 52. Another one I got is 73. Can't tell for the third one, there's a lot of light surface rust. Interestingly enough, the first two mentioned are plain bottom with just the date, the third one has a Coleman stamp in a sunburst (as far as I can tell), so I may have to clean that one up just to see.

Still got to get a globe and I'm looking on fleabay right now at a guy out Canada selling gaskets pretty cheap. Be easier buying from him that running around town looking for a substitute, or trying to make a couple.

Thanks for stories guys.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Coleman Lanterns: still "born in the USA?"

Post by John in MS »

Fiddler, I grew up on the MS Gulf Coast, and we also had many nights where the Coleman lanterns were a key feature, as you describe. Another use was walking through the shallow
water off the beach collecting crabs (especially soft-shell crabs) and the occasional flounder.
Even when I wasn't doing it myself, any night time drive along the beach in the 60's/early 70's would reveal a few people out crabbing. Now, not so much.... Funny, I hadn't thought about those evenings for many years, until your post. Thanks!

Alas, I have no Coleman lantern or stove. As so many things have been cheapened and made much less durable these days, I wonder if the new Coleman lanterns are still good, or is it better to go scrounging for older ones?

Are they still made in the USA?

Thanks,
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I did a quick search and discovered that Coleman's propane and electric lanterns are made in China and the glass globe is made in Mexico. I cannot ascerntain if the liquid fuel model is made out of this country or not.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

I found a Coleman lantern sitting on the lake shore one day, apparently left by a night fisherman. I put a stick with a note on it with my phone number should he come back for it but it was never claimed. Gave it to my son, don't know if he still has it or not.
UNITE
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

wecsoger,

Thanks for the confirmation. I thought that was what the numbers on the bottom of mine meant.
My small hood lantern is stamped 1 and 55 on opposite sides of the bottom.
My large hood lantern is stamped 63.

So I got a couple of fairly old ones. They both need cleaned the generator on one is crotchety, and they need caps. But I can do that.

Joe
stinkycat
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stinkycat »

Sunshine of the night! Have several, this is my favorite stamped 6-54 the year I was born. And its in much better shape than me!Image
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Got me curious now, have to go check the date on mine.
Dad had a couple, one kerosene , don't know the advantages of that.
My Coleman memories are of Florida.
Walking in the shallow water with my dad and Coleman gigging (spearing) flounder.
Hanging a Coleman over the side of a boat at night at Ponce De Leon inlet.
The shrimp (when they run) would come to the surface at the light where they
would be hand-netted and thrown in new garbage can bought just for that purpose.
It wasn't unusual to fill two cans a night.
I suppose there is all kinds of regulations against it now.

Here in Montana it isn't camping without the Coleman hissing just outside the firelight.
Carrying the Coleman to the potty shack when in a campground.
Light when the whole neighborhood is dark.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

I missed out on buying one of those silver lantrens Coleman made with the Deer etched on the globe about 12 years ago,My latren is from the Early 80s and works as if new. They really made something that works all the time I like the pump up Naptha ones more than propane. My Latren was a hand me down with metal case and my stove is a 1950 it was my dads and I still have the manual that came with it and only recently through out the box!
I have Skinned many a Deer and Elk in camp with the light of a Coleman. But as we get older and lazy I find myself starting up the generator and putting a few Work lights on.
But nothing could replace my Coleman But must say the price of Coleman fuel is out of this world!
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

J Miller wrote:wecsoger,

Thanks for the confirmation. I thought that was what the numbers on the bottom of mine meant.
My small hood lantern is stamped 1 and 55 on opposite sides of the bottom.
My large hood lantern is stamped 63.

So I got a couple of fairly old ones. They both need cleaned the generator on one is crotchety, and they need caps. But I can do that.

Joe
Last I saw you could get both types of Generator seals Leather, the ones I go with or the rubber ones.I have a spare leather one but never replaced one yet but had to use some ATF to get the seal to swell so I could pump up the stove.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

One of the best things about a Coleman lantern is that the light cast by it helps in blood trailing. When I was a teenager there was a large contingent from our area that headed to Potter County Pennsylvania for bowhunting season. A Coleman lantern was mandatory for any after hours tracking of poorly hit deer. Something about the light made the blood stand out more so than an incandescent bulb.

Hmm. I have to do some digging around. I believe I have one of those things lying around somewhere.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I'm fairly new to the lanterns, mine is a single mantle dual fuel from the 90's. It works very well, and was my primary reading light in one of my cabins before I got power. I used kerosene lights for general use, the Coleman for reading and thins I needed to see well.

I have a Coleman stove that I got at an estate sale in the early/mid 70's from an old gunsmith's estate. He had told me that he'd camped and hunted in Colorado in years gone by. He was in his 90's when he passed. I took it in to get checked up, as the pump didnt work well. The repair guy said he searched for parts, and his books went back to the 20's. Mine was older than his books showed. He made do with turning the pump leather inside out, and cleaned everything. The stove worked great. I cooked on it in camp and cast many many bullets on it over time. I bought a newer dual fuel stove and use it now, but still have the old stove, and it still wortks great. It's my casting stove when I make bullets. It also has an oven that folds out to bake things in.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

"I did a quick search and discovered that Coleman's propane and electric lanterns are made in China and the glass globe is made in Mexico. I cannot ascerntain if the liquid fuel model is made out of this country or not."

Thanks much! That settles that... I'm now officially on the hunt for an older, US made lantern and stove in good shape!

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: SCORE!

Post by Old Ironsights »

Was at the wifely knick-knack/antique shoppe looking for an "i've been bad" present :shock: , and ended up being even badder... :shock: :oops:

4-57
Still had pressure/fuel in it.
Cost less than it is old... 8)

Is the box OEM?
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

wecsoger wrote:...Last week I commenced to strip and clean as best I could. Seals on caps are toast, of course. Still had fuel in them, that kept tanks from rusting much. Did minor repair, bending, cleaning, oiling and all that was needed. They weren't operational until I got in there and cleaned and repaired...
Just got into the above lantern...

Pump seal is good - lots of back pressure - so is the fount fill cap seal - but I can't pressurize the fount. Plugged check valve? I'm a little leery of trying to take it out. It's too tight to get out with my large flathead screwdriver without buggering the brass...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Found a Coleman collectors forum site.
http://oldtownyucca.websitetoolbox.com/
Old Ironsights : Somewhere on the above site (can't remember exactly where) someone discusses cleaning the check valve without
removing it. Something about filling the tank with Acetone or Denatured Alcohol ....can't remember. I have the same problem so I must search
for it too.
Old Ironsights wrote:
wecsoger wrote:...Last week I commenced to strip and clean as best I could. Seals on caps are toast, of course. Still had fuel in them, that kept tanks from rusting much. Did minor repair, bending, cleaning, oiling and all that was needed. They weren't operational until I got in there and cleaned and repaired...
Just got into the above lantern...

Pump seal is good - lots of back pressure - so is the fount fill cap seal - but I can't pressurize the fount. Plugged check valve? I'm a little leery of trying to take it out. It's too tight to get out with my large flathead screwdriver without buggering the brass...
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Wow, thanks guys for the stories and pictures.

Two of the ones I have are the old, two piece cap and of course the seals are shot. As a temporary measure I went to Lowes last night and found o-rings in the plumbing area that fit perfectly. When I measured the cap it's .50 on the I.D. and .65 on the O.D. Rings I found on Danco #10 repair o-ring 1/2"I.D. and 11/16" O.D., 3/32" thickness. They sealed the one I had nicely. Have no idea how they will stand up to the fuel since they don't state what they are made of.

Guy on e-bay is selling correct ones out of nitrex, looks like he's punching them out himself. I'm watching his auctions but for now I don't need ten or twenty at a time.

Took the two I had and fired them up in the backyard last night, put then on hangers I welded up. Sat in the patio room and watched them light up the back yard. Cats of course were intensely interested with the bugs that came by. I guess for cats it's sort of like a lava lamp that hisses. (grin)
RobertS
Levergunner

Post by RobertS »

Keep your eyes open for Coleman lanterns and stoves in the "harvest gold" color, which was similar to what many appliances were painted in the seventies. They are kind of rare and will bring a premium on ebay. It is my understanding that the only way that you get that color was with trading stamps from the Gold Bond company. I've found and sold a couple of them before, and they did pretty well.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - On Praise of Coleman Lanterns- update the '52 lives!

Post by wecsoger »

minor update, in the midst of all my traveling. Other two Colemans are working fine. I never got around to fixing the oldest one, a black ring 1952 because it was missing a globe.

while on my trip to Chicago I went by Bass Pro Shops got a globe. of course, made in china. (sigh) by the way, when I went by the Cabelas in Hammond Estates NE of Chicago, same globe (also made in china) was a couple dollars less. should have waited and got it there.

back home today. couldn't bear to put the foreign made one on, so I swapped it with one of the other ones. took a bit of cleaning, including removing mud(!) probably from a spider up in the feed tube (right up in that sharp "U" bend) but after stripping, cleaning, lubing and all, put it back together and fired it up.

as I said before - how many other items do you have around your home made in 1952 that work just as they did way back when? that list is few and short. old Ford tractors. 1952 Fender Telecaster. an old classic Harley. none of that group I have, but I do have a 1952 Coleman lantern.

so tonight after it gets dark and cools off a bit, I'll get it out and light it up. and the cats and I will sit on the back porch and admire it.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: OT - On Praise of Coleman Lanterns- update the '52 lives!

Post by Griff »

Cool find. Was telling wife and she said, "Wow, '52, I'd like one of those!" (Her birth year). I have three propane lanterns. The newest being from 11/87. Since living in TX, we've had many nights during stormy weather with no electricity. We've spent quite a few nights reading by lantern! They ain't just for camping.

It was in interesting wedding my wife & I had... her friends & family bought us things like silver, china and household items... mine: well... let's just say that with the tent, camp stools, cots, sleeping bags, Coleman stove and lantern we could eat ANYWHERE in style!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!