OT(partially)Best Scope for Winchester mod 70, 270

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

OT(partially)Best Scope for Winchester mod 70, 270

Post by getitdone1 »

Dang it! Try to mount my Mueller 2X7 scope with illuminated red dot reticule and medium high rings don't give enough clearance for the bolt handle. Not about to go with higher rings. This is one area where the short bolt throw of the Weatherby MK V and Browning A-Bolt shines!

Believe I might go for a scope with multiple small/target dots, each for zero at various distances. I don't like the "aim high and guess approach." It'll be a dot or dots for sure.

I recall a scope advertised that had, I believe, crosshairs for zero at various distances. Maybe it was dots. Pricey as I recall and said to be used some by our military. Maybe 4-10 power.

On the other hand I might go with a scope with a single dot that matches the 1950s time period of this rifle. Redfield comes to mind. They were the tops before Leupold--somehow--took most of the premium scope market from them. Never could understand how they could accomplish this. I like both brands.

Maybe I should ask myself: "What would Jack O'Connor do?" Believe his two favorite model 70s were made in the 50s.

Don McCullough
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT(partially)Best Scope for Winchester mod 70, 270

Post by Kansas Ed »

Jack's requirements were judged by a different rule back then. Used to be that a scope was judged on it's ability to hold zero, durability, and adjustment capability. Now those requirements are pretty much standard, and scopes are judged on reticle type, objective size/light gathering, and clarity of the glass. So I think Jack would lean toward something different than we do today.

I always leaned toward Nikon because of the glass and the warranty run up against the value for the dollar. Many lean toward the Looey. On the 270 about any cheapo will perform to Jack's old standard now a days. I sometimes think that practicality has flown out the window today when choosing scopes, and it's become a brand identification game.

As for the one brand...were you thinking Shepard?

And if you are wanting time period...think Lyman Alaskan.

I've got a 1947ish in 300 Magnum (marked when the 300 H&H was the ONLY magnum in that caliber). I have NOS Stith mounts, and need a time period scope for it...but just can't turn loose of the cash for a nice one...those old scopes in great shape can be pricey :)

Ed
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Kansas Ed,

I just about mentioned Lyman Alaskan in this post. You are right. Famous scope.

Back in the 50s if you had a Weaver or Redfield 4X you were considered good to go. Lyman too.

Don McCullough
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

Timely topic. I bought a Winchester Featherweight Deluxe in 270 and I have a spare Leupy 2.5x8 VXIII. It was my first choice as I already have it. I will be hunting in timber but may be shooting across some clear cuts that may be 200-300 yds wide. But I think a Leupy 1.5x4 with a illuminated reticle would be the way to go. It has a smaller objective lense than the higher power scopes. I don't know if that would help with the bolt clearance problems. Please post what you decide on as I am still in the cogitating phase. I also have a 70s era Redfield 2x7 and 2 3x9 Redfield Widefields that I inherited sitting on rifles I don't use, but I never quite got past the tv screen look of the Widefield.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Don. Why not just use a set of the Burris Signature ZEE HIGH Rings $40
Wouldnt that be cheaper than going the new scope route?
That scope you have looks like a cool scope!
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

At this very time there´s a Zeiss 6 x 42 on my Win 70, Classic Super Grade in .30-06.

With a Burris made Redfield type mount.

I think of changing to a Warne Weaver Type base and QR rings.

The Swarovski Z6i 1,7 - 10 x 42 illuminated with the reticle with additional bars beneath the main reticle my Wife presented me four weeks ago as a present.

I think with an additional Laser Rangefinder and good ammo I am ready ( if conditions are fine ) for those over long 350 m shots.

But the 1.7 magnification won´t let me down in close quarters!

WH Hermann
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

We just bought a trio of Weavers here at our house. Jr. got a K4 for his .270. I got a K4 for my .44 Handi and a K6 for my .30-30. They were about $120 or so each.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Old Weaver (steel) K4........plenty of eye relief, clear and rugged. Leupold 4x would be a good one as well.

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Thanks for your responses.

Yeah, a cheap but good old Weaver K-4 is tempting and of the 50s like the gun.

Seen a 3X9 Redfield w/40mm objective lens and military dots. 200 bucks.

Question: Will this work with my medium height Leuopold rings. Doubt it.

Did Weaver make that K-4 with a dot reticule? Or, K-6?

Believe there were no variable power scopes in 1950, the year my model 70 was made. At least not in a popular sense.

Don McCullough
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

A Bausch and Lomb Balvar 2.5 to 8x variable rifle scope ($175, below) would be appropriate for a 1950 rifle.

http://www.neaca.com/targetgunsandshoot ... ories.html

Of course, one would also need the B&L adjustable mounts that fit a model 70.....................

http://www.hegibbs.com/scopes.htm

http://www.hegibbs.com/mountlist.htm

My 6.5x55 Model 70 Featherweight Classic currently carries a Trijicon Accupoint Safari variable I mounted after deciding to use the Leupold 2-7x33 that I bought it with, elsewhere.

Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

But ... the nimble 2 - 7 x would really sit good on that Win 70, and keep weight down!

I like a "classic" look for my rifles ( but I also want the very best scope money can buy on a hunting trip far away )

Hermann