SoCal LvrGunr Fam Reunion, March 15-16th, UPDATED 3/17/08

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

It might just be me and Prof. Loudenboomer who would want to try the 600 yard range, although JReed might be interested as he has to qualify at 500 yards in the Marines. Anyone else interested in the the long range stuff? I just thought it would be neat as it is not something commonly available.

-Tutt
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I'm still good for the 16th of March. I'm moderately interested in the long distance range just because I don't get to shoot that far very often. But I'd be happy just to be shooting, so either way for me.

Food. Potluck sounds good to me. How many meals are we talking about? Just one? Maybe also meet at a restaurant before, after, or both?

I was wondering how many folks would see this sticky. I normally don't look at them too much either. I'll post a new topic informing folks to look up here.
Chad
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

We could have a get-together the Saturday night before, at the club. This would work out well if we have some campers. If anyone is going to camp, I plan to camp over too, just to be around. For those of you with 2 or 3 hour drives, staying over might be easier. There is a shower there, plus restrooms.

There is a barbecue there, so we can cook there no problem. We can also run out for chicken or other food if we don't want to go to the trouble of cooking.

It looks like the Cowboy match director won't be there that day because of a Monster Truck Rally in Vegas. So I'll probably run the match. Still waiting to hear about the charges, but that simplifies things. I think what we'd be looking at is the $14.00 for going between both sites. Sounds like the 600 yard range is pretty important to everyone.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Long range is where the money is :D .
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That would be an outstanding ride on the scoot, but I don't think I can get the time off around then... :cry:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I'd be interested in camping Saturday night. Do they allow tent camping? We could BBQ something up Saturday night, maybe Sunday, but I will probably have to start on the 4 1/2 hour drive home Sunday night so I couldn't stay late.

-Tutt
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

If the wife dosn't feel like coming up to her moms that weekend. I may bring the boys up with me that saturday and go camping with you if that can be worked out. They can show of their .32 front stuffer :D .
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

OK, I just got in on this but if it's March 16th, I MIGHT be able to do something, not use. That's a Sunday and I have to be at work at 3pm.

Looks like the range is about one hour from me. If this date firms up, I'll have to try what I can at work.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

The camping area is actually paved, so it's made to sleep in your vehicle. There are some other areas but the brush is pretty thick.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

JReed wrote:If the wife dosn't feel like coming up to her moms that weekend. I may bring the boys up with me that saturday and go camping with you if that can be worked out. They can show of their .32 front stuffer :D .
Jeremy, how old are your boys?

I was thinking of bringing one or both of my older boys, but at 5 and 3 I think that may be pushing it. It sure would help out momma and the newborn, though.
Chad
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hmmm. Still might chance some tent camping. Its not a big tent, particularly.

-Tutt
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

71 they are 8 and 6 the younger one Evan just had his 6th B-day yesterday :D .
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

JReed, were you thinking of tent camping, or RV-trailor camping? The range is not particularly tent camping friendly, but I'm sure we could find someplace nearby that is. A blazing fire sounds good in the L.A. High Country. :P Maybe you can let me know well in advance, because right now, I'm the only tent camping fool who is going to do so. If not, I will stay at Prof. Loundenboomer's house and we will all get together for shooting on Sunday. I think a night camping and grilling with you and your sons would be a lot of fun, buddy.

-Tutt
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

I am a San Diegan and am always up for a shoot.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I have a 2 room 8 man dome tent how is that for ruffing it. When I camp I eat off of cast iron with a pocket knife :D . Honestly though I camp pretty simply just a tent some thing to sleep on and some thing to cook with. Pluss the tent I have will set up on concrete if it is not to windy.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

jjames Welcome Aboard you are more then welcome to come along.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

JReed, my tent is free-standing, and will set up OK on concrete as well if need be. I just have to weight or tie down the corners in case it gets windy. Cooking-wise, all we need is a BBQ or fire pit at the site. I have a grill that will cover the latter so we can cook off of it. Whatever you guys want to do. Some ground sirloin hamburgers and 'dogs for the kids would work fine in my book.

-Tutt
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

And the more people that want to join in, the better! :lol:

-Tutt
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

You forgot to mention the brews. :wink: :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Yes, brews. Staple food.

I'm thinking a cot and a tarp will do me fine. If I have my 5 year old, that's a different story.

Tutt and/or Sobenk: how far is West Glendale (time wise) from the range?
Chad
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

71 he can bunk with my boys.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Actually, when the weather gets cold, I prefer a good sippin' whiskey like my spirtual brother, Mike D.! :lol: Wishing he could attend, but he already told me he couldn't because he will be in the middle of his chemo-therapy treatments. :( Please plan on drinking a toast to my buddy who wanted to attend, but couldn't. :cry: :(

-Tutt
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

'71 Fan, without looking at a map, its hard to say, but I can make it from South Orange County to where Prof. Loudenboomer lives in an hour, and the range is less than that. So, I'm guessing less than one hour from W. Glendale.

-Tutt
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I think knocking one back for Mike is a great idea :D .
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

A blazing fire sounds good in the L.A. High Country

I saw the smiley so I hope you're kidding. The helicopters would be down on you in a minute. Just what we need is to be on the national news for a month while the Angeles National Forest burns up.

We have a gas grill to do the cooking, those are the only things legal in the Angeles. To have any fire you have to have a fire permit, and then only on a gas or fuel stove. No fires.

The firemen say that if the range starts a brush fire, it will be closed for good. This is our last place to shoot in LA County.

Well, I didn't mean to preach.

71 Fan, about time from Glendale, you'll have to ask your brother, but I would say half an hour. Glendale is accessible from the 5 or you should be able to take Glenoaks Blvd most of the way.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

sobenk wrote:71 Fan, about time from Glendale, you'll have to ask your brother, but I would say half an hour. Glendale is accessible from the 5 or you should be able to take Glenoaks Blvd most of the way.
I was thinking I'd invite him anyway. Maybe we could show him the light. I imagine there will be a few spare leverguns around for him to play with. I know I will have more than one :wink:
Chad
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I just spoke to Prof. Loudenboomer. He's pretty sure the rams at the 600 yrd. range are "full size". At least, they appear to be so to the naked eye, and he can hit them some of the time with iron sights.

-Tutt
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Excelent. I look forward to takeing some shots at them.

71 yeah I imagine that there will be many guns that your brother can try out. I plan on bringing a few including my ML's and my CB pistols.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

JReed, I've never shot Black Powder before, so while I'm really looking forward to shooting my own guns, I would really like to try your CB pistol and maybe your ML too!

-Tutt
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Never underestimate the power of the Darkside young Skywalker :wink: . You know BP is addicting right?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

So I have heard, and I have a 121 year old rifle ready for it and paper patched bullets should I feel so inclined! :)

-Tutt
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Your journey will soon be complete young Jedi :lol: :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I took some pictures at Sunday's match; there are 25 of them, too many to post here, so here's a page to go to:

http://www.netwood.net/usr/jonsmith/lasc.html

just click on a thumbnail to see the big image.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Wow, I have to say that looks neat. I've traditionally stayed away from shooting ranges because I liked being outdoors in a more natural surrounding and without so many people or regulations.

I'm starting to see that I've been missing out. On the other hand, the range closest to me (Metcalf in San Jose) is limited to 100 yards IIRC, and Laguna Seca I'm not sure of, but I think only slightly more. I'll have to check up on that.

The Angeles range sure looks like fun!

-Tutt
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Great pics looks like you all had fun. Lookin forward to shootin there with you all. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

Wow, have I been out of the loop for awhile. I am definatly in and very glad to see us all finally able to get together. :D
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Sweet! I was wondering if you had gotten the word.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

It occured to me that we still have some work to do on this event to "lock it in".

Sobenk, it looks like we have a date and attendees, and you seem to be the range contact guy. Can you reserve the range for Sunday for us? I mean CALL THEM, and report back with what they need to know? I mean moneys, number of people, etc, to be completely sure we have access to what we want? Also, any deadlines they need for number of people attending and camping. You get the idea. We are so close to having an event, I don't want us to drop the ball now! Lets close the deal.

The rest of you, it will be time soon to make a commitment so we can get a head count. If you can't, thats OK, but we will not PLAN on you being there. If you are, it will be gravy! :lol: We would love to have you!

I'm commited to Sunday for sure. Not sure about camping Saturday night as I might need to see someone for a visit while I'm down that way.

Any deadlines for letting the range know about camping there will be respected, and I will make a decision by then.

Thanks for your help, Sobenk! Feel free to PM me, maybe we should talk by phone?

Thanks!

-Tutt
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I spoke to the club president and he checked for conflicts and said he didn't think there would be any problem. He also told me no special arrangements would be needed for camping Saturday.

I asked him about charges and he wasn't sure. The club is not looking to charge for the use of the range. But for those who want to go down and shoot at the 600 yard range, it would be $14.00. Those who want to attend the Cowboy match at the silhouette range, it would be $10.00. But the Cowboy match is handled by an independent guy, and some of his fee is forwarded to the range anyway. I will check and see if I can get them to agree to a fee for use of both ranges, whether it would be $14.00 or what. Traditionally, someone who attends the Cowboy match can continue shooting after the match.

I want to give them an approximate head count for camping Saturday, and Sunday. Also let me know about kids, maybe they would cost less or be free. But I should know how many to expect - this can change but will give me something to talk about.

Could everyone who's coming please PM me, also let me know if you want to camp Saturday night? Then I can make a list and talk more explicitly with the match directors.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

So what is the latest word? I am getting all excited waiting for march to get here.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

It looks like we have a headcount of 10, PM me if you're coming and haven't already done that.

We should be good to go, I haven't heard anything else. There are really no more arrangements to make. Basically we're just going to boost the attendance of the Cowboy Match and hang around afterwards to shoot some more. So there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

I'm going to mention the camping to the manager at the range complex but that's really just a formality.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

What then will be our schedule to be able to shoot?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Wow, 10! Thats great! I'm leaning towards camping there again just to hang-out with the rest of you.

How many who might be interested in camping? Last I checked, it was just me and J.Reed?

-Tutt
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Tutt,

I am planning on comming and will likely sleep in a van or pitch a tent.

Jay
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jay, thank you for the post. If J.R. can pretty much commit, I will too. I might be passing up a night of dancing with a lovely lady, but I will see her soon enough. I don't get to meet up with you guys that often, and I'm REALLY looking forward to it.

Any of you got room for Old Savage to camp out???? :lol:

-Tutt
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

If you can check if there will be enough area I have something like an 8 x 10 with screen porch I can dig out and see if it's still n good shape. last two outings were borrowed and I would have to set it up to see how it looks. 10 x 18 is what I think the footprint is.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I am in like Flin :lol: . My wifes Step Dad and the boys will be with me. Should make for a nice crowed for Saturday night BBQ and drinks :D .
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Well, alllllll-righty then! :lol: You can count me in for a BBQ (if they allow it) and drinks as well. It will probably be cold up there, so I'm going to bring some good sippin' whiskey.

BSA, it sounds like the concrete pads are large enough for RVs, so it should accomidate your tent. But, securing it might be difficult unless it is a "free standing" tent. I'm told there is also a dirt road nearby (that is not used) suitable for tent camping if the concrete won't work.

Sobenk, are there already permanent BBQ's grills there, or can we bring a small portable one? Or maybe a small gas grill for hamburgers and dogs? I know you said they don't allow fires.

-Tutt
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Hello boys!!

I'm back. We had our baby on the 18th and I have been very busy at home and at work.

It looks like the rendezvous planning is progressing well. I'll coordinate with Sobenk on the roster and update the list on page 1 when I can.

It's looking like I may bring my oldest boy and maybe my brother. I have a lot of "buttering up" to do with momma in the meantime to get the green light :?
Chad
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Congratulations on the "new Bambino!" I'm very happy for you. :D

And welcome back!

-Tutt