Shipped to FFL

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
drdon
Levergunner

Shipped to FFL

Post by drdon »

How come i read on here , if you buy a gun the seller askes if the ffl dealer will accept guns from a non ffl person,, im new to this,, i thought you had to ship through and receive from an ffl person,,
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by six..
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Some FFLs will not accept shipments from an individual, only another FFL.

Welcome! :D
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

OK, I slowed down and read the rest of the question...:lol:

An individual can ship to an FFL per Federal regs. An FFL can choose to receive shipments from an individual or not. If they do not, the price is usually adjusted for whatever the shipper has to pay his shipping FFL.

Curio and Relic holders (03FFL) can ship to each other as long as the weapon meets the criteria for C&R's (either on the approved list or more than 50 years old). There's more to the C&R but that's the quick and dirty version.

Some states will allow long gun sales between in-state residents by mail, just like a face to face transaction. The prudent buyer and seller will exchange ID info (DL, CHL, etc) as a CYA measure.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

There is no law that requires a long gun to be transfered from one FFL to another. A private individual can send a gun to an FFL. There are two requirements: You are supposed to be the owner of the gun and it is your responsibility to confirm the person or business actually has an FFL. You can do that over the internet for free. Really, an FFL should not charge the shipper anything if the intent is to transfer it to an individual awaiting its arrival or if the FFL takes it in for resale. There's nothing preventing the FFL from charging a fee in both directions but that doesn't make it right. The "sale" transaction often has a fee attached or else the FFL wouldn't make any money on handling the receipt and delivery. One often misunderstood or misquoted rule is that the gun must be sent to the address on the FFL license. Phooey! The law specifically says the holder of the FFL or his/her designee can receive a firearm at any address where they are physically present to receive and safeguard the firearm. If the FFL is going to use the "other" address more than once they should deem it an off-site storage location. If you are going to use it frequently (off site address) you should file it with ATF (but it still does not appear on the license). I have had guns delivered to my house when I was not going to the shop for several days. My shop was an hour away. I have also had guns delivered to my hotel room for shows like SCI, SHOT, etc.