paypal

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

paypal

Post by two bit okie »

I have a possibility of needing to sell an item to a member in Austrailia. He uses paypal, and to my embarrasment, I have no idea how it would work. can some one shine the light for me. please.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Re: paypal

Post by adirondakjack »

You could, but I stopped using them blood-sucking thieves (it's a division of Ebay). Google paypal and sign up if you like. Be advised the SELLER pays the fees on paypal, and they eat into yer profits handily.

If it's a fair amount of dough, go to the bank and get a "wire transfer" number from them (it;s like a routing number but used specifically to move money internationally), and have yer pal go to his bank and transfer the funds to your account. there are still fees, but generally they will be less than fleabay/paynazi, and yer only dealing bank to bank.

For a small amount of dough, have em send a check. Banks do take foreign checks. it just takes a little while to clear em.
Certified gun nut
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Paypal charges 3% which is the same credit cards charge the sellers. If you sell something, charge the buyer the 3%. Money gets to you instantly. You can transfer it to your account free, either a credit card through paypal or your checking/savings account. takes about three days to get there. Secure transaction, and protected by inusrance. I use it all the time.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I realize PayPal is anti-gun. But unfortunately they have the easiest system in the world to use. And I earn 1% instant cash rebates on everything I buy. It takes a year for your bank account to pay you less than 1%. If I did not do business with every company that was anti-gun, I would not get much business done. But that is a persons preference.

I would not advise signing up if you only plan on using it one time. Unless you are talking alot of money. However the buyer may wish to use PayPal because he has insurance from PayPal, so it is a good guarantee for the purchaser.

It really comes down to the transaction. So without that information it is tough to advise. But sometimes a good deal is not a good deal. Tom.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

you should sign up - once you do you can buy things online (not just Ebay) much easier.

Once you sign up, all you have to do is "request money" from the buyer's e-mail address, he will receive an invoice that he can pay with a credit card - he doesn't have to be a Paypal member.

Their anti-gun policies aside, it's a smooth system that works and is not too expensive.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

"I have no idea how it would work"

It doesn't.

Tried 7 times to pay for a reloading press with AmEx (which they said they accept), no luck. Computer-savy kid tried 5 times. No luck. Accepted my Visa first time.

Micturate on gun-hating PayPal, e-Bay and whatever their prison money transfer system is called.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

with American Express, you were probably giving it the wrong code - there's a 3-digit code on the back of the card, but they usually want the 4-digit code on the front of the card.

Paypal is the smartest way to buy goodsfrom people you don't know, since if they don't come through, or if they've misrepresented the item, they refund (within 45 days). If you have a dispute, all e-mails are routed through them. I've had people try to fraud me, not reply to my emails for two weeks, and then reply to the first paypal email within 10 minutes.

If you get paypal money coming in, there are two ways to get your money. They can send you a check, which costs you a bit more, or you can get "verified", where they round a few cents into your bank account - this of course gives them access to your bank account. I've sold quite a bit using paypal and never had a problem - it's because I'm honest.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

They are rabidly anti-gun, so I use them whenever I can to buy firearms related items! Works great when checking out on Ranch Dog's bullet mold site. :D
NRA Life Member
darkwater
Levergunner 1.0

Post by darkwater »

A gun-friendly alternative is www.gpal.net. GPal, formerly known as GunPal, was founded by Ben Cannon, a director of the Calguns Foundation, which was formed to litigate against gun control legislation here in CA.
RDB
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RDB »

I've been using them since they started, had a few hassles over the years but in general if you are careful...like never...EVER....send anything out of the USA you'll be fine.

You must make sure they can verify delivery. Keep it USA and you are OK..other wise you can easily get stung even months later and have the charges reversed. That said I have bought all kinds of stuff from Europe with Pay Pal.

FWIW almost all my transactions have been gun oriented. So while lots of folks think Pay Pal is anti gun I would have to disagree. They just don't want you to buy guns with their services. Makes sense to me as it makes buying a gun over the Internet extremely easy.

May be too easy.

If you are new to Pay Pal I would ask them to make a personal transfer via Pay Pal so the charges can never be reversed. If they balk ask them to send you a bank check in US dollars, on reciept and cashing and a 7 day hold then I would ship.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

bulldog1935 wrote:

Paypal is the smartest way to buy goodsfrom people you don't know, since if they don't come through, or if they've misrepresented the item, they refund (within 45 days). If you have a dispute, all e-mails are routed through them. I've had people try to fraud me, not reply to my emails for two weeks, and then reply to the first paypal email within 10 minutes.

If you get paypal money coming in, there are two ways to get your money. They can send you a check, which costs you a bit more, or you can get "verified", where they round a few cents into your bank account - this of course gives them access to your bank account. I've sold quite a bit using paypal and never had a problem - it's because I'm honest.
I have to agree. I've used PayPal for hundreds of transactions as a buyer. One the four occassions I've had problems with the seller than we couldn't work out I got my money back thru PayPal.

One piece of advice is to document your transaction details via e-mail, save all of them. If there's a dispute they'll save you.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Where is Austrailia? :wink:
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

RDB wrote:I've been using them since they started, had a few hassles over the years but in general if you are careful...like never...EVER....send anything out of the USA you'll be fine.

You must make sure they can verify delivery. Keep it USA and you are OK..other wise you can easily get stung even months later and have the charges reversed. That said I have bought all kinds of stuff from Europe with Pay Pal.

FWIW almost all my transactions have been gun oriented. So while lots of folks think Pay Pal is anti gun I would have to disagree. They just don't want you to buy guns with their services. Makes sense to me as it makes buying a gun over the Internet extremely easy.

May be too easy.

If you are new to Pay Pal I would ask them to make a personal transfer via Pay Pal so the charges can never be reversed. If they balk ask them to send you a bank check in US dollars, on reciept and cashing and a 7 day hold then I would ship.
You should explain that since ALL gun transfers must be done according to the rather strict laws and regulations. Use of the internet doesn't abrogate a need to comply with the law. What the various internet sales and auction site have done, as they have with all goods and services, is to make it easier to find those goods and/or services that are wanted.

I've used PayPal since they started as I have Ebay. The businesses sure have changed since then. Conceived and executed as free-market and libertarian organizations they have, since corporate takeover, devolved into unresponsive, bureaucratic, "leach" companies intent on taking as much as possible while giving as little service as possible.

As to GearPay and GunPal (or GPal, you can see where that is going, can't you?) neither have been able to provide services as well as the original PayPal organization. I have been/am registered on both. GPal is delinquent in payments to a number of entities. I can no longer recommend either company.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

"with American Express, you were probably giving it the wrong code - there's a 3-digit code on the back of the card, but they usually want the 4-digit code on the front of the card. "

I've been using Am Ex for 30 years and realize that. PayPal would accept neither.

Since my post, I have been told PayPal dislikes AmEx because they don't get the same cut as they do from other card companies and consequently they make AmEx use as difficult as possible.

I believe it. Another reason not to use PayPal.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Aussie Chris wrote:Where is Austrailia? :wink:
south of New Guinea, north of Antarctica.

As far as the Amex thing goes, I have an office Amex registered on my paypal and use that card when I buy things for the office - vacuum pump, micrometer set - never a hitch.