Cooey Model 71 carbine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Cooey Model 71 carbine

Post by AkRay »

I bought this made in Canada, by Cooey/Winchester-Western bolt action yesterday. This one is chambered in 30-06, holds 4 or 5 rounds in the blind magazine, has an 18" bbl, and open sights. The rear is like the fold down rear on a Ruger 10/22. The wood stock is held to the receiver with 2 screws. The screw on the front of the triggerguard is actually a wood screw that only serves to help hold the triggerguard on. The safety is a forward to fire, slide back for safe, and the bolt will cycle with the safety on. I bought it because it looked like a handy rifle to bring berry picking or on the riverboat, and the chambering is a near universal big game cartridge. It came with a 4x12 Bushnell scope that's got settings on the scope tube out to a thousand yards, and a second reticle that I suppose corresponds to the settings on the outside of the scope. The upper adjustment turret is marked from 150 to 500 yards.

I had never even heard of this brand of rifle before I saw this one yesterday. Condition is about 90%, because it's been a hunting tool for the last 3 or 4 decades. I paid $225.00 for the whole shebang, and I think it will turn out to be a useful little carbine. Maybe I'll look for a synthetic stock for it.
Stump Buster
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Cooey Model 71 carbine

Post by Stump Buster »

Hey Ray,

Sounds like a neat find!!! I couldn't google up any pictures of a 71. Would ya mind posting a couple fo pics for us?

Congrats on the new picker protection!

Stump
Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, live like you ain't afraid to die and don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "The Ride" performed by the very much missed, Chris LeDoux.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
Shooting it will be the test that matters. If it is relaible and puts rounds into 2" at 100 yards then it sure would be a keeper to me. I would get some 180 grainers and see how they work. I cast my own and there is little i would be concerned about with 180+ grains of lead at 2200 fps sitting in the tube.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Cooey was a very popular manufacturer up here in Canada. Every kid had a cooey single shot 22 and the richer kids had repeaters. They also made a great single shot shotgun in every gauge. The mod 71 is very close to the Win mod 70 I believe but I'm sure. Someone will either confirm or blow me out of the water on that. Enjoy your new to you rifle and gives us a range report and pictures when you can.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

iceman wrote:Cooey was a very popular manufacturer up here in Canada. Every kid had a cooey single shot 22 and the richer kids had repeaters. They also made a great single shot shotgun in every gauge.
Cooey single barrel shotguns were also popular in the UK back in the fifties and sixties.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

I think in keeping with the short and handy theme that I should find a receiver sight for this one. I've never added a receiver sight to a Winchester bolt action before, so I don't really know what model or make of sight to look for. Do any of you have any suggestions?
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Williams makes the WGRS model that installs in the rear scope mounting holes. They are not as easy to adjust as the FP series but functional. Probably one for a Win mod 70 should fit. Just an idea.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.