Visited Buffalo Bill's Grave

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Visited Buffalo Bill's Grave

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Visited Buffalo Bill's Grave

Post by dkmlever »

I have done the same, taken out of town guests there and it is a much better museum than most folks would think. I always enjoy my visits there. You can se the actual grave site without doing the museum.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Isn't there some concern that he might not be there?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

I was just over in Cody, Wy to the Buffalo Bill Historical Center two weeks ago. I have been trying to make it over there for a decade now. The place is very impressive and the guns on display number in the thousands. I think I snapped around 200 pictures. They also have Teddy's 1895 on display. It's a great place to visit if your in the area
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I haven't been to Lookout Mountain but I have been to the Cody museum. Thinks for the nice photos; I need to stop there next time I'm in the area.
"That'll Be The Day"
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Hobie wrote:Isn't there some concern that he might not be there?
There was an effort by Cody, WY to have his body moved up there because of some controversy as to whether or not he really wished to be buried outside Denver but that was settled over half a century ago and his remains and those of his wife remain on Lookout Mountain, CO.
Steve
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Another of those places that have inadequate parking! :P :P

Thanks for the pics and short tease of a tour!! :twisted: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Lot's of neat stuff there, and another place I need to visit!
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8)
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

Say, isn't that the museum that the Ghost Hunters TV show visited on November 5, 2009? After dinking around for most of the show they came to the conclusion that electromagnetic fields from transmission towers surrounding the site were likely causing people to have certain experiences. http://realitytvmagazine.sheknows.com/b ... lls-grave/ Actually, I believe that some people resonate with historical objects triggering a subconscious sympathetic reaction. We attune with the time, place and experiences of history - no ghosts necessary.

Kinda like when I visited the Empire Mine State park at Nevada City, California, while attending an IHMSA shoot. Drove up around a curve toward the mine and had a deja vu experience that was palpable, in fact it made me dizzy. I explained to Mrs. Wrangler that I felt as if I was returning home, yet I had never been there before. Not just returning home, it went far beyond that. Turns out that the Empire Mine was discovered and owned by William Bourn until it passed on to his son William B. Bourn Jr. William Jr. had built an estate in San Mateo County after the turn of the 20th Century, which subsequently was purchased by my first employer Lurline Matson Roth, and where I spent many years working her show horse farm and breeding operation. Maybe it's genetic. I always have been interested in history, archaeology, ghost towns, mining, railroads, ships, steam power and western lore, maybe we come charged with memory markers innate to our DNA. My father was born in 1893 and became a steam engineer. In fact he worked for Matson Navigation at the time of my birth. My early years were spent with grand parents that dated to the 1860's and 70's, I always felt that I was born old, out of my proper time. No matter, I picked up on the connection with the Empire Mine without any foreknowledge of its history.

I bet many of us have had similar experiences during a trip to the museum. So, you like lever rifles and cowboy stuff, huh?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Buffalo Bill might have been a showman, but he was the real deal. Glad to see that the gravesite is worthy of a man like him.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

piller wrote:Buffalo Bill might have been a showman, but he was the real deal. Glad to see that the gravesite is worthy of a man like him.
The Congressional Medal of Honor isn't awarded to anyone who isn't!
Steve
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

When I was off duty, I used to love to drive up there. Great place....very peaceful out by his grave as I remember with the wind blowing the grass, and the museum was nice too. Seems like I remember some Sharps buffalo guns on display there. Would love to visit again someday.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

COSteve wrote:
Hobie wrote:Isn't there some concern that he might not be there?
There was an effort by Cody, WY to have his body moved up there because of some controversy as to whether or not he really wished to be buried outside Denver but that was settled over half a century ago and his remains and those of his wife remain on Lookout Mountain, CO.
I've heard that some friends went down there and took his body... All sorts of stories.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

COSteve,
Thank you for the pics. I visited there back in the early 90's and it looks like they have added a bit since then.

Hobie,
There was a plot of sorts from some folks in Wyoming to take remove his body and rebury it in Wyoming. If you look at the bottom right hand portion of the first pic you will see a WWI tank that was placed on the road in close proximity to the grave to deter any such happenings....

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
darkwater
Levergunner 1.0

Post by darkwater »

Wrangler John wrote:Say, isn't that the museum that the Ghost Hunters TV show visited on November 5, 2009? After dinking around for most of the show they came to the conclusion that electromagnetic fields from transmission towers surrounding the site were likely causing people to have certain experiences. http://realitytvmagazine.sheknows.com/b ... lls-grave/ Actually, I believe that some people resonate with historical objects triggering a subconscious sympathetic reaction. We attune with the time, place and experiences of history - no ghosts necessary.

Kinda like when I visited the Empire Mine State park at Nevada City, California, while attending an IHMSA shoot. Drove up around a curve toward the mine and had a deja vu experience that was palpable, in fact it made me dizzy. I explained to Mrs. Wrangler that I felt as if I was returning home, yet I had never been there before. Not just returning home, it went far beyond that. Turns out that the Empire Mine was discovered and owned by William Bourn until it passed on to his son William B. Bourn Jr. William Jr. had built an estate in San Mateo County after the turn of the 20th Century, which subsequently was purchased by my first employer Lurline Matson Roth, and where I spent many years working her show horse farm and breeding operation. Maybe it's genetic. I always have been interested in history, archaeology, ghost towns, mining, railroads, ships, steam power and western lore, maybe we come charged with memory markers innate to our DNA. My father was born in 1893 and became a steam engineer. In fact he worked for Matson Navigation at the time of my birth. My early years were spent with grand parents that dated to the 1860's and 70's, I always felt that I was born old, out of my proper time. No matter, I picked up on the connection with the Empire Mine without any foreknowledge of its history.

I bet many of us have had similar experiences during a trip to the museum. So, you like lever rifles and cowboy stuff, huh?
I think some of us have that instant connection with the past, more so for those that frequent this forum. I've been to the Empire Mine, myself...neat place, lots of history there. I also used to be a field archaeologist...the work was interesting, but the pay was seasonal. I assume you've been to the Winchester Mystery House, too...firearms, history and ghost stories, all in one package!
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Buffalo Bill's autobiography is a great one. Can be purchased.

One of his "main guns." As I recall it was a Springfield muzzle loader modified to shoot the 50-70 cartridge. He named it something like Lucretia Borga. Some one care to accurize this a bit? Always thought I'd like a gun just like that one which he used to kill many buffalo to feed the railroad workers laying tracks across the plains. Cannot think of a more historic gun.

Buffalo Bill lived a great life.

Don McCullough
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I had not known he had a Congressional Medal of Honor. I thought he was a show man.

He has gone up in my estimation.
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

very interesting... as much as i saw about buffalo bill when i was a kid, I've not been to his burial site. sounds like i need to put it on my "sights to visit".

thanks for the mini-tour
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers