New Revolver

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

New Revolver

Post by HEAD0001 »

I am in the market for a new revolver. I have considered the Casull. And have by no means ruled it out. I have decided I want to go back to shooting the basics. I bought a nice Low Wall a few years ago in 45 Colt. And I am getting pretty good with it. So I have decided I want to go with a combo-rifle and revolver. I have a couple of sets of 44 magnums. But I really like the 45 Colt cartridge. I have also considered re-chambering my Low Wall to 454 so it can match the FA revolver.

But after considerable thinking I believe the 45 Colt cartridge will do all I want to do. I want to keep the revolver with open sights. I want it to wear a good set of open sights. Something like the silh. sights would be very nice. I want it to have between a 6-7 1/2" barrel. I would prefer a single action revolver. But I really do not want to spend over $2,000 for a FA(but I might).

I want the revolver to be accurate out to 100 yards for deer and ground hog hunting. So I imagine a little custom work would need to be done to a standard revolver to gain this accuracy.

How would some of you guys put this revolver together?? In a 45 Colt?? Any good smith recommendations, or smiths who already have revolvers like this for sale??

I am also looking at a S&W 460 Magnum cartridge. I think I can also chamber my Low Wall to that cartridge. But I really do believe the 45 Colt will do what I want. Tom.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Revolver

Post by rjohns94 »

I had made the decision two years ago to go to the .357 platform as the basis for my collection, leaving the .429s along the wayside. This year, I added the .45colt as my primary woods handgun for the same reasons you are looking at it, because it can do anything I might ask of it. I chose the Freedom arms platform for it and got a .45acp cylinder but by no means do you have to go that route.

Ruger makes a fine weapon. I just sold for $900 a wonderfully tuned and customized Ruger in that caliber to a member on the forum. There is another in the classifieds here that might suit your needs : http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =2&t=29602

I like your choice. I was considering a little sharps in the .45colt to compliment the handgun myself. I don't have a rifle in that caliber. May go the Rossi route like I did in .357. I will note that I also have a .475 linebaugh in freedom arms but in the area I hunt, I don't gain anything in it over the .45 colt (but it is a hoot to shoot). Rounding out the handguns for hunting for me will be a matching FA .22. Good luck in your choices.
Last edited by rjohns94 on Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I don't think the Low Wall is suitable for the .454 but, that is a good idea otherwise.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

They made some factory Low Walls in 454. I do not know how many. But they made some. I just missed a real deal on one about a month ago. A fellow had one he wanted to sell for $650, and it had great wood on it also. A soon as I contacted him it was gone. I would have bought that one in a minute for that price. Tom.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Really? I didn't know that. My understanding was that the low walls weren't suitable for such pressures. I'll pay better attention and let you know if I see one.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

They even made them in the 260 Rem. cartridge(Miroku). Tom.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I did something similar but started with the revolver first. Though mine is a .44 I could have gone .45 Colt just as easily.
I had an Old Model SBH that was heavily worn but a good shooter. I was really taken with anoter guys SBH that had been worked over by Hamilton Bowen and really wanted to do somthing with the old Ruger as I just didn't like that Long barrel.
I had the barrel shortened to 4 5/8" new sights, trigger and action job and case hardened frame. It will be one of, if not the last firearm I will part with in this lifetime. For me it's the perfect packin' pistol. The photo doesn't do it justice. Really sharp looking but not too pretty that I won't use it.
I added the 94P about six months later. Another excellent shooter I picked up cheap at a show.
I would like to get another .45 Colt to go with my Winchester 94. I had a nice Ruger but had to part with a few guns a while back for financial reasons. Hope I never have to do that again!

Have fun!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

HEAD0001 wrote:They made some factory Low Walls in 454. I do not know how many. But they made some. I just missed a real deal on one about a month ago. A fellow had one he wanted to sell for $650, and it had great wood on it also. A soon as I contacted him it was gone. I would have bought that one in a minute for that price. Tom.

Hmmmm.....sounds painful.....Light weight, crescent buttplate and a 454!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Consider a BFR. Very accurate and built like a bank vault. Not FA, but very close.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by two bit okie »

I am a big fan of the 44 mag. but when I got started the 45 was a low pressure load with not widespread loading up exposure. If I buy a new 6 gun, it will probably get another 44.

Which is why I will offer that if you already have a 45 and the goodies to load for it, go with a ruger Black hawk and have ti worked over and save a bunch of coin compared to other more expensive routes,

I have 4 Vaqueros in 44, stoned all of the internals, superblackhawk hammer, steel erh, and dragoon gripframes. I luvs dem all.

JMHO, which with a doller, will get you cup a joe at burger king.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

HEAD0001 wrote:I am in the market for a new revolver. I have considered the Casull. And have by no means ruled it out. I have decided I want to go back to shooting the basics...I want to go with a combo-rifle and revolver...I really like the 45 Colt cartridge...after considerable thinking I believe the 45 Colt cartridge will do all I want to do...I would prefer a single action revolver. But I really do not want to spend over $2,000 for a FA(but I might)...
It sounds to me like you are pretty much sold on the .45 Colt! So:
Taking the .454 and similar monsters first: The .454 is an impressive handgun cartridge. It is a super powered answer to carrying a hand cannon, and it "gives one bragging rights," if that is really important. But it is large, heavy, much slower to swing into action, and puts a lot of weight on your hip. I had considered getting one, but also decided that I'd do best with a shoulder holster for all day wear.

Before purchasing a .454, .460, .475 Linebaugh or .500 SW, it would be a good idea to handle one for a while. As for power, it is there, but range time will be shortened and the rounds, even in reloads, are expensive. And we tend to forget that most common rfle cartridges are still more powerful and effective than these arthritis creators, with obviously less wear and tear on the shooter. I love big bores, but quickly decided that my next step would be a sturdy .45 Colt that could handle heftier than "cowboy" loads for hunting if needed. There are .45 handguns built to take stiff loads, safely, at pressures between the old cowboy .45 and the .44 Magnum. And the larger caliber offers a lot of power at pressures that are a bit lower than a factory .44 Mag load. A glance at "Ruger only" reload data (manuals as well as online sources) will bear this out.

Unless Grizzlies or Elk are the reason for your caliber choice in a mini-mortar, it sounds like the Ruger New Model Blackhawk would fill your needs, at around $500 for the convertible model - .45 Colt and .45 ACP (great as a survival option). Now, this model is only available in the 4 5/8" and 5 1/2" barrels; but I would guess that you could purchase the separate cylinder for a longer barreled Ruger in that caliber - I wanted the shorter barrel for carrying purposes and did not research this.

I recently purchased one, for all of the above reasons, and am finishing up loading several test rounds today to take it to the range. My preliminary choices are cast bullets between 250 and 265 grains, BHN around 11 to 15, in .451 and .452 sizes.

I didn't like the ugly black rubber grips that come with the New Model Blackhawk convertible model, so I am awaiting delivery of some custom grips as well (that will be another post with a photo).

After determining that my handgun was one of many that had cylinder throats that were a tad too small, for $64 I had G. Castro at Cylindersmith.com ream out both cylinders. He reblued them and did a very nice job. The turnaround from my mailing them out and receiving them back was about a week. His site tells you that if you call so that he knows a job is coming, he'll usually get the work done in 3 days. That is pretty amazing.

So that is one way of getting into a quality, sturdy handgun on the cheap, I think. I love my .44 magnum revolvers, but now foresee using the .45 Colt most of the time - plinking, target, and proposed hunting (that has not been possible lately). If I am able to create satisfactory groups, my next purchase will probably be for a .45 Colt levergun or pump to stretch my range a bit. Jeff Quinn did a nice writeup on the Taurus clone of the old Colt Lightning pump. See:
http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus_Thunderbolt.htm
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Kinda hard to beat a good battery of .45s.

The rugers started out as twins, but one developed a bad case of CCB leprosy, so it got plum browned. 5 years on, it it just about where I like it. C45S case heads replaced the ruger medallions (.45 case heads will press fit), using empty primer cups.

The Marlins are both modified for Cowboy .45 Special as well. The roller is a #5 that started life as a 7MM, but is now sporting a Douglas barrel chambered for C45S. Dave Higginbotham did the barreled action work for me. I still gotta finish the wood.....

Between em, these will do about anything needs doing that ya don't need a 12 ga for.
Certified gun nut
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

How about a Redhawk. I know it is DA vs. SA, but it is probably sturdier than the Ruger SA's, and as sturdy as any .45 COLT load you'd want to shoot in it.

DA makes it a bit more practical (other than being huge) for self-defense in case it is pressed into that duty, as well.

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

One more vote for the Redhawk. I picked up a used but LNIB 4" job that I sent to J.Huntington for some tuning. Very nice. 1886.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I went with two Rugers one adjusted and one custom 5 shot. Add to this two 1892s (Copies) one in .45 LC and one in .454 I thought it would be a perfect set up for anything I could upset by walking in their turf, anywhere.
My Blackhawk (almost stock) on top
1892s in center one .45 one .454(I normal carry the .454 in the woods)
My 5 shot .45 on bottom with longer cylinder for heaver bullets.
While the barrels are not as long as you like the accuracy is there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

What exactly do you think you will run into that a .45 Colt cannot put down?
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

AJMD429 wrote:How about a Redhawk...it is probably sturdier than the Ruger SA's...
From what I have read I would respectfully disagree. But the Redhawk is plenty tough from what I have been able to learn.

I had two crane load guns (Double action guns with expected the swing-out cylinder) - a sturdy S&W Model 27 "Highway Patrolman" .357 and a light .38 snubbie - that locked up from a slightly tweaked crane at different times. Thankfully, I discovered at the range that they locked up. Each was completely inoperative until a gunsmith's leather hammer freed them. I learned two lessons from that - 1) Don't feed your gun a diet of hot loads; and 2) Watch any fellow officers or relatives like a hawk who borrow your handguns - many don't know that you aren't supposed to slam the cylinder shut like Humphrey Bogart did in the old movies. I don't know which scenario was the cause of the guns jamming; but back then I would loan my guns to responsible people. Now, I will not.

I went for the Single Action because of durability (no tweaked cranes, and the proven capability to fire stiff loads, per the various manuals), price, and its ability to fire both .45 Colt and .45 ACP. The latter feature is not available to double action revolvers.

But for combat or urban self-defense where a quick second shot and rapid reloads are needed, the DA and Semi-autos certainly shine. My urban carry, for those reasons, is primarily a .45 ACP (1911 type) Colt.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JohndeFresno wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:How about a Redhawk...it is probably sturdier than the Ruger SA's...
From what I have read I would respectfully disagree. But the Redhawk is plenty tough from what I have been able to learn..
I'd say my gut feeling is that the Super Blackhawk would survive more 'trauma' like falling, skidding down a hillside, dropping, etc, due to no crane, but that if the question were merely 'hot' loads, the extra cylinder girth of the Redhawk would be comforting. Like you said, though - either one is one tough weapon.

And although I can't speak as one who lives in big-bear country, if I ever thought a hot loaded .45 Colt wouldn't handle something I might encounter, I'd have a rifle or shotgun, or stay inside and cower. I know that isn't realistic for someone in Alaska who has to go out and check a trap-line with an arm-load of equipment, and needs a handgun. I guess that's why I live in Indiana... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

This is what I got right when they came out.http://ruger.com/products/newModelBlack ... odels.html
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have a 4" Redhawk that my wife got me last year for Christmas, I love it!

http://www.ruger.com/products/superRedh ... odels.html

The similar thing in .454.

I also shoot the DA grip much better than a SA.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

BlaineG wrote:Consider a BFR. Very accurate and built like a bank vault. Not FA, but very close.
BFR's are definitely built like bank vaults. The only problem I have with mine is the close tolerances. Normally that would be a good thing. But in this case, even a speck of unburnt powder will keep cartridges from chambering all the way in the rebated chambers and keeps the cylinder from turning. They have to be kept clean. My Super Blackhawks and Blackhawks are more tolerant in that respect.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

[quote="rjohns94"]

Not to steal the thread, but rjohns94 where did you get the grips on this gun?

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

Now that's just about right, right there now! :wink:
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

OK - finally got my custom grips in for the new Doctor Prescribed .45 Colt / .45 ACP New Model Blackhawk.

(Added Edit, next two paragraphs) I tried another excellent grip, but it never fit correctly to my handgun after trying two versions mailed to me by another provider. I then ordered Bear Paw's grips and they were made and shipped within just a couple of days. They fit perfectly right out of the box - all I had to do is to sand down the spacer a mite, with the sandpaper provided. It is a cylinder that wraps around the center screw to provide more even pressure on the grip insides and to prevent warping or undue force on the screwholes - an excellent idea.

The slight swell at the top of the grip, combined with the subtle thinning of the bottom part, fills my hand and supports my shooting grip very nicely while still retaining most of the "Old West" appearance.

I'll be testing my 255 and 265 grainers this weekend or by next week!

These are "Aged Ivory" Holly grips by Bear Paw. They fit perfectly right out of the box and I am very pleased -
http://stores.ebay.com/Bearpaw-Ruger-Grip-Store

...and a Tom Threepersons holster was crafted with a hammer thong, stamped with my logo by Cannon Leather. Again, I was delighted with the product.
http://www.cannonleather.com/

The bores for both cylinders (.45 Colt, .45 ACP) were reamed by Cylindersmith (http://www.cylindersmith.com) to .4525" for more consistent delivery of the cast bullets and hopefully nice, tight groups. After reaming the cylinders, they are returned to you cold-blued and oiled with instructions to take them out to the range and season them to set the bluing.

All merchants were very good on communication, quite reasonable, and provided extremely quick turnaround. I'm a happy camper.
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I would go with a Blackhawk 45 for the durability and adjustable sights. Mine is on the upper left.

"That'll Be The Day"
Technical Director
Levergunner

Post by Technical Director »

Wow really nice project there John. I definately like the "aged ivory" grips better than the tan ones. No disrespect but the tan ones look like the grips on my Daisy six shooter BB gun (snort-chuckle). And your holster in addtition to having the cylinder bore addressed certainly adds a nice touch to the whole package. Good job :).
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Take a look at this limbaugh article. John will have you thinking we never needed the .44 mag when we have the .45 colt, and he just may be right. I have a s&w 29-2 .44 mag and a number of .45 colts as in colt saa, s&w 25-5, a couple clones and a .45 colt and .410 barrel for my tc.
Really, my favorite of them all is .44 special. I have 6 of them!
http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=12
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Tom,

I have thought about this one myself. A .45 Colt combo silhouette/hunting gun.

Base: 3-screw Ruger BH.
Cylinder: rim enclosed, unfluted.
Barrel: 9" bull barrel, no taper with recessed crowm and 1-12 twist for heavyier bullets, yet still adequate for moderate/light loads with 200-250 bullets.
Sights: Millet rear and Partridge front (interchangeable with flourescent insert for low-light hunting scenarios).
Grip frame: SBH... altered to allow 1-piece stocks. :twisted: (I think the SBH is a little longer than the 3-screw)

The reasoning I'd go for a 9" barrel is the slight increase in sight radus w/o the weight of the 10-½" silhouette length you see on most sillywet guns.

I figure with a carry rig that had the piece across the front of my chest, the draw would be easy and the extra barrel length wouldn't interfere with anything as even with tgrip at the centeer of my chest the end of the barrel would still be inside my shoulders; and held tight against my chest even in profile it would easy to slither thru thick woods.

As to 'smiths... I don't think my project requires too much in the way of special skills. EXCEPT: I want a matte blue finish, the cylinder laser-engraved with the two badges I've carried; one-piece cocabolo (sp?) grip with a laser-cut "gryphon" on each panel to aid gripping the behemoth!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Technical Director wrote:...nice project...I definitely like the "aged ivory" grips better than the tan ones...Good job :).
Thanks, TD. The magic of the Internet sure helps one to find the right solutions to an idea. I don't have the tools or skills to do any of the above work, so I really appreciate good craftsmen. I CAN reload and shoot a bit, so I'm looking forward to us both enjoying this shooter. Let's see what we can do at 100 yards for fun!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Booger Bill wrote:Take a look at this limbaugh article...http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=12
Great article, Booger! Er...no insult intended.

I had never checked out these great articles on the same site, for some reason, until I read the above cited one. They may also be of interest to those considering the .45 Colt caliber in a Single Action or other strong handgun:

45 ACP loads for the New Model Blackhawk (Convertible)
I was reminded that .45 ACP brass is cheaper and more plentiful, thereful a great loading option -
http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=41

Loads for the Sixgun used by Elmer Keith by John Taffin
Here is a concise breakdown, if you are like me and don't have Mr. Keith's definitive work:
http://www.sixguns.com/range/elmersloads.htm

The more I think about the questions posed by HEAD0001, the more I am thinking about this duo:
A good 45 Colt or 45 Colt / 45 ACP revolver and -
A .454 Casull levergun.

You'd have a tremendous power range, but you could use your .45 Colt loads in both guns in a pinch. That should take care of anything on our continent with ease and in a lightweight combo.
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

John is there any way you can post pics of those grips from behind so we can see the shapes/swells you are talking about? I have tinkered with making my own almost exclusively by feel and while a palm well might feel perfect, a couple of them looked just awful. There MUST be a happy medium. :D
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Booger Bill wrote:Really, my favorite of them all is .44 special. I have 6 of them!
A man after my own heart!

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
woods-walker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by woods-walker »

Rangerider7,

Outstanding stag grips on your Blackhawk, I like the bark and color. The virtues of the .45 Colt are legend.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Markbo wrote:John is there any way you can post pics of those grips from behind so we can see the shapes/swells you are talking about?
Markbo, here is a collage:
The swell on the top holds the base of the index finger and thumb on a comfortable plane - it is thickened. As the grip maker, Mr. JB Wilson states, the grip's profie does seem to allow you to find the same position each time, and it appears that it will enhance recovery into the same shooting grip. I will need to have some range time to fully assess how it works, but it seems easy to grab the gun assume the same shooting position each time.

The butt is flat, instead of being beveled. That allows larger hands (like mine) a bit more real estate, so that I don't have to curl my pinky under the butt or hang it out in the air.

The BearPaw site also has some profile pictures - see:
http://stores.ebay.com/Bearpaw-Ruger-Gr ... tures.html
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

AJMD429 wrote:How about a Redhawk. I know it is DA vs. SA, but it is probably sturdier than the Ruger SA's, and as sturdy as any .45 COLT load you'd want to shoot in it.

DA makes it a bit more practical (other than being huge) for self-defense in case it is pressed into that duty, as well.

That is a good option if you want to go DA. They now make a 4" version, which would be my personal choice for carrying. Strong enough for just about anything you want to shoot in it, and you don't have to cock the hammer. I'm a SA guy, so the Redhawk wouldn't be my first choice, but it would be my first choice for a DA.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams