Only One

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Only One

Post by HEAD0001 »

I know this is a terrible thought. But what if you could only own one handgun. What would it be??

In the past I have thought that my choice would be my 329 PD. But now I am thinking a little differently. Just looking for what you guys think. Tom.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Only One

Post by madman4570 »

Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Ruger 22/45 if I can keep all my rifles.

4" Model 19 Smith if only one rifle (Marlin Mountie)
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have two hands, I need at least two hand guns. :lol:

Seriously there is no way I can answer your question. There is no one size fits all hand gun.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

4" Smith Model 66

I really am not a big 357 fan really. I go from 38 Special straight to not quite top loads of 44 Magnum. But for a pretty powerful gun that can still be carried easily the 66 is hard to beat.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

HEAD0001 wrote:... But what if you could only own one handgun. What would it be??..
There are a lot of assumptions to be made regarding intended use and ammo availability, however for all around use I would be looking at a 5" S&W Model 686 - 7 shot - .357 Mag.
I would stipulate that it would have a detachable mount for a scope or red dot sight.

Jack
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Having no specific criteria, I would have to say some sort of .357, prolly in a double-action. I guess I should get one.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Until I inherit my Dad's British Proofed 1911a1 my "only one" handgun will be
my Bowen custom Super Blackhawk .44 magnum.
Deadly accurate and can load up or down to suit my needs.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Ill throw in a Dan Wesson 15VH in 357 just for the barrel changes I can make. Other wise maybe a 4" 586 or 686.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

S&W 29 4 inch barrel. Sometimes I think the 19, but I usually fall back to the 29.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Probley this 5" S&W model 29-2 44 mag. The one with it is a .357 5" S&W 27-2. I can use the same holster.

Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Easy....my BFR.
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

Ruger GP100 until I get tired of it, then Joe's wife can have it.
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Kimber 1911 or my Ruger Blackhawk 5.5 in 45LC
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

6" .357 S&W 686. It'll do anything I want a handgun to do.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

HEAD0001 wrote:I know this is a terrible thought. But what if you could only own one handgun. What would it be??

In the past I have thought that my choice would be my 329 PD. But now I am thinking a little differently. Just looking for what you guys think. Tom.
Ruger Old Army, 5-1/2" bbl and a Cartridge Converter Cylinder to shoot .45 Colt.

Solves the "ammo availability" question, still has plenty of thump, and is not out of line size wise.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I need more data. If only one handgun, can I have a rifle and shotgun or two also? It matters with my answer.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
Tough question. Guess I'd go with my S&W 625 Mtn gun in .45 colt...

(Or my Ruger MKII - .22)

Sorry, tough question!

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

A T/C Contender with about 20 accessory barrels in different lengths/chamberings.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

WHEN I could own only one handgun I started with a Ruger Security-Six 4" .357 Magnum. Later, I had a S&W 629 4" .44 Magnum. NOW I would choose my USFA SA in .45 Colt. The difference? 35 years experience and...
The fact that I own a good riot shotgun and an AR-15... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote:Ruger Old Army, 5-1/2" bbl and a Cartridge Converter Cylinder to shoot .45 Colt. Solves the "ammo availability" question, still has plenty of thump, and is not out of line size wise.
I like the way you think!

For me, it would be a .45 Colt Redhawk. Image

Several reasons to own a gun:
  • a) personal protection - the above is not politically correct, nor easily concealed and convenient, but would certainly be up to the task.

b) home protection - it's not an EBR, or even a Guide Gun, but would you want to try climbing in the window of a homeowner shooting at you with a Redhawk?

c) hunting - the Redhawk would be fine for any of the critters I eat that live within 500 miles of my home.

d) community protection - again - not an EBR, but not picky with ammo (think .45 cal sabot in a pinch), and a whole town full of Redhawk-totin' citizenry would be a town not easily taken into slavery.

e) recreation - never taught a 'newbie' without ending the first lession touching off a Redhawk in .44 Mag or .45 Colt - and they always grin from ear to ear. :mrgreen:

f) compatibility with other guns - A Marlin or Rossi .45 Colt would give me a sweet pair.
And yes, I'd "settle" for a .44 Magnum Redhawk, because other than the possibility (never tried it in real life) of using sabots if proper bullets weren't available, it pretty much can do the same things as the .45 Colt.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

It would have to be My Ruger Super Blackhawk. 44 Mag 7.5 inch bbl.
This is the only pistol anyone should ever need. It will do most anything well except conceal.
But who needs to conceal when you carry a peice like this. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

S&W Model 19. It was my Dad's service revolver. Just too sentimental for me and would be the last one to go...
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

Browning Hi-Power. No other handgun fits my hands or eyes as well.

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

Considering my collection...I would have to choose the venerable 1911!

It does everything I need a handgun to do...and then some.
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

I really hate the thought of that, even though I like simplicity. :cry:

It would have to be my semi-custom Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag...............

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Easy, my 4" Colt Python. Heaven forbid! But if it had to be so, that would be the one.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I have no handguns.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

El Chivo wrote:I have no handguns.
Now THAT is interesting? May we ask why?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

I would have to go with my Mod 25 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt.

8)
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

S&W Model 27
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

HEAD0001 wrote:I know this is a terrible thought. But what if you could only own one handgun. What would it be??

Unless otherwise stated, most on here are assuming as I am how the question is written(rifles/shotguns are allowed)
Otherwise as Mike says that makes a big difference in selection!
I am choosing the Ruger 454 Alaskan based on who knows where one could end up(maybe Alaska/Montana/heck maybe British Columbia?)
I want a gun that is very wearable (an always on gun) Have no concern about hunting with it.
I want somthing that will be very reliable(stainless revolver)somthing that is very concealable "for its power" and will drop any Big Bad critter darn quick.
Considering the .45Colt can be fired in the .454 Casull if need be, for me its a no brainer for this application! Anyway speaking just for myself? Yep, 6rounds of 360gr .454 Casull (that would make me feel lucky today)
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/14313
Last edited by madman4570 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

Dan Wesson 15-2, I've had it since 1982.
I have 4", 6", and 8" barrels for it. The rear sight is a Millet with a peep blade and the front is a rifle bead.
The springs are from Bullseye.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

It would be my Ruger Bisley.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Ok, I slept on this one.

My primary use of a handgun is self defense. In that sense, the handgun would have to be with me all the time. My Seacamp .380 fills that spot currently. I also use the handgun for plinking and for woods carry. In that sense, it would have to be able to gather game readily, being accurate and capable. My freedom arms .45 Colt/45acp fills this spot mostly. Living in the Northeast, the most wilderness I see is the appalacain trail (or the streets of Baltimore). I eliminate my Bond derringer and Seacamp .380 because they lack the game getting capability. Since I don't own a .22 handgun at this time, I have only three to choose from. The 475 Linebaugh will have to go, I have that as a primary hunting weapon for anything I might want to shoot. Down to two: My 45 colt freedom arms 97 premier with 45 acp cylinder added or my 3 inch model 60 with night sights and adjustable rear. The FA is just too large to have on me ALL the time unless I lived out in wide spaces, then hands down, this would be the one to keep. That leaves the model 60, 3 inch in .357. 90+ % one shot stopping of two legged critters, accurate enough for small game, properly placed bullets will take deer size game, small enough to have with me all the time, ammo is available everywhere, and it matches up with my life style and the activities I do. Hard to believe I only have 5 handguns at this time.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Smith & Wesson Shorty 45.

Short, light, match level accuracy, Glock level reliability.

I envy CO Steve's hand size as I think the Glock 21 would be wonderful for so many reasons. But it's just to dang big for me to hang onto.

My primary use for a short gun is self defense but I could easily hunt with it.

Cat
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

Kind of cheating, but I'd choose a 1911 with a 22lr conversion. 45acp and 22lr, perfect and perfect.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

If I could only have one it would be a nice 1911 or my Clements Bisley Vaquero in .45 Colt. If it has to be one I already own I would have to go with the Bisley.

It was a tough choice between the .45 Bisley or my Single Six Bisley. I went with the .45 because in the long run it would be more versatile and effective in some situations. Wouldn't want to go through bear country with just a .22. If rifles are a consideration that changes the game some.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

win38-55 wrote:It would have to be My Ruger Super Blackhawk. 44 Mag 7.5 inch bbl.
This is the only pistol anyone should ever need. It will do most anything well except conceal.
But who needs to conceal when you carry a peice like this. :D
When I worked in Ohio pharmacies in the 1970's and 80's (before 'legal' CCW there), I carried that exact gun (only blued) in a Bianchi shoulder holster whenever I worked in a retail pharmacy. :shock: Glad I never had to pull/use it, but it would have done the job, at least.

Eventually I got a little Charter Arms Bulldog and modified a 'cowboy' boot by splitting the seam and sewing in a pancake holster, and kept that on me when I started working in hospitals (not much risk of 'holdup') but had to walk 10-12 blocks home through the ghetto at 2 a.m. when I got off work. I'd fold up my paper lunch-sack after lunch, stick it in my pocket, then before leaving the hospital, get the gun out of my boot, load it, and slip it into the paper bag, with my index finger behind the trigger, and hold the bag over it with my thumb. Makes for a bit more calm when walking home through the 'hood... Only had to 'display' it one time, ironically when crossing through another hospital's "patrolled & secure" parking lot (the three guys who accosted me evidently didn't read the signs... :wink: ).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Hobie wrote:
El Chivo wrote:I have no handguns.
Now THAT is interesting? May we ask why?
At least one's he's going to admit to. :wink:

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Either my 4 3/4" OM Ruger flattop in .44 mag OR, this new 4 5/8" Ruger flattop in .44 special..............

Probably the latter.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I would have a really hard time choosing one handgun. The only time in my life when I only owned one handgun was as a teenager, when I owned a Smith and Wesson K22 with a 6 inch barrel, and before that a Ruger Single Six 22 with a 6.5 inch barrel. In reality at the time, I felt pretty well armed, but after another 40 years added to that, I might feel a little underguned, in a life or death siduation against either man or beast.

So, as bad as I would hate to give up my .22 revolvers, I recond I would have to keep what I can carry for CCW and feel pretty good about, when the chips fell, so I recond after much gashing of teeth, I would choose my Wilson Combat 5 inch 1911 in 45ACP, because I have shot 1911's so much, and I find I can carry a 1911 easier then most other guns, espacally revolvers, although I am very fond of revolvers in general, and I could get by just fine with a Colt Peacemaker if I needed to, and would choose it over many more modern revolvers.

Another reason I would probably choose a 1911 is because I know how to keep one running, with just a few replacment parts, and I just know them better inside and out, and I know what I can do with one, but I sure would miss many of my other handguns.
NRA Life Member, Patron
oklahoma red
Levergunner

Post by oklahoma red »

Good evening to ya all,
This is an easy call for me!
If I only to get to pick one, I'll have to bring my "Big Girl" to to the dance.

Stainless Taurus M44; been bobbed, nipped, trimmed, resprung, reground, and reworked (no porting-- you just hang on for the ride :D ).
Now a 3 1/4", "mostly" double action, six shot revolver. With 44 spls, she is my protector, and IDPA revolver. With 44 mags, she's poked deer and wild hogs for me, and finished off anything that's still a' wiggilin' when I show up.

Happy shootin' to ya all,
OkR
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If I could only own ONE handgun... It would be:

Aye GAWD, if it was good enough for ...

:twisted: :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

4 inch 357mag blued Python.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

That is a real tough decision to make. I think I'd lean toward my Springfield 'Loaded' 1911 45, mainly because I can hit multiple targets faster with it than with my Colt SAA, although I would hate to leave my brass behind and sometimes a fellow doesn't have time to pick it all up. But for sheer pleasure, I like my Colt SAA even more. Here's a photo of my Springfield ....

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
RDB
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RDB »

New Colt Series 70, BCP Arena, in 45acp

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That's a real hard question to answer. It would depend on whether or not TEOTWAWKI had occurred. If not, I'd take my Les Baer in 45 ACP. If it had, I'd take my FA 83 in 454 Casull. I could get a 45 Colt and 45 ACP cylinder for it and it would do for most anything.
Old Law Dawg
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

kimwcook wrote:That's a real hard question to answer. It would depend on whether or not TEOTWAWKI had occurred. If not, I'd take my Les Baer in 45 ACP. If it had, I'd take my FA 83 in 454 Casull. I could get a 45 Colt and 45 ACP cylinder for it and it would do for most anything.
Is there somthing with the Freedom Arms 83 that requires a extra seperate .45 Colt cylinder when its a .454 Casull ? I could see the .45ACP but thought all .454 Casulls also shoot the .45 Colt!
My .454 Raging Bull shoots them just fine?