Inaccurate Levergun does it again!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Inaccurate Levergun does it again!

Post by TedH »

So I got to the range bright and early today and started setting up when another gentleman showed up and came over to the bench next to me. We exchanged pleasantries and talked about his new heavy barrel 308 sniper bolt gun. He was shooting Nosler Custom Comp. ammo and was saying how impressed he was with the rifle so far. I opened my case and pulled out my 25 year old Marlin levergun, to which he didn't look twice.

We both started shooting about the same time, and same cadence. We waited a few minutes between shots. After our first three shot group he started packing up already. I asked him what was wrong? Why are you quitting already? He said as he was shooting, he was also checking out my group through his scope. After he saw my finished group he finally looked up to see the rifle that just kicked his new sniper rifles butt. He said when he saw what it was, he just knew he was done for the day! :D
100_2308.JPG

I'll freely admit that's the very best group I've ever shot with this rifle, and may have been somewhat of a fluke, but it couldn't have happened at a better time! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Inaccurate Levergun does it again!

Post by cshold »

Sweet :)
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I love it when that happens. :?
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Actually pard I think the difference was between the skills of the rifleman involved. The difference of a master rifleman with a real good lever & a gunner that thought that the latest technological terror would make a big difference. It has happened to all of us at one time or another...to our great satisfaction.

Good 'Ol Sam Fadala wrote in his 30WCF book that levers are the tool of the master rifleman/hunter. I'm sneaky enough to let the dummies live in their dreamworld...I never show my hand until it is too late for them.

To make a little side money, challenge some of these hotshots to an off- hand match. Yardage doesn't matter (out to 200)...has to be off-hand. See how many will take up the challenge when some samollies are at stake and they have to shoot off their hind legs.

Just for this moneymaker I set up my No.4Mk1* for 500 yds. The target is a 12" gong setup. I can go 10 for 10 from my elbows at the bench under real good conditions & 8 for 10 offhand in a sling (my Enfield is the REAL reason I can do this). Most of the younger ones can't stay on a NRA target at 100 yds. much less 500. The shot isn't hard at all. A lever set up for 200 yrds. can make some real dough, especially when they see a 30WCF in your hands-Heh!

I'd say your ready to find some marks...just make sure you can do the shots, set them up & practice, practice, practice! :twisted: (In the back of your mind you'll hear the theme song of Jaws).

No brag...just fact. A properly trained rifleman should be able to hit his/her mark off hand about as well as on the bench.

Correction: called by Buddy Arlen Detke who built our dinger & he says it is 18"s & is 496 yrds. away.

LB
Last edited by LeverBob on Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

TedH wrote:
I'll freely admit that's the very best group I've ever shot with this rifle, and may have been somewhat of a fluke, but it couldn't have happened at a better time! :lol:
Well he sure didn't know that! :lol: great shooting :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nice shooting, so you have one of those 356 Marlins.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nice one :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Good show!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Ha! I love it! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

Nice group :)

ain't it cool when it all comes together?

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Similar thing happened to me recently. I was sighting in my Guide Gun initially at 50 yds. The guy next to me was bragging about how well he was shooting with his tricked out AR with a brand new Eotech. I shot my group, he shot some more, and then a cease fire was called. When we went to check targets, my group was around an inch, and his looked like a shotgun pattern. I didn't say a word, but I didn't hear anything after that, and he picked up and moved to a different bench.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

Before I gifted it to my brother I had a 336T that (and still does), turn in groups that can be covered with a dime at 100 yards. Who ever said the .30-30 isn't a accurate round, never shot one.

The first time I turned in the group was with iron sights. My brother remounted the scope that came with it and does from the bench every time he it goes to the range. As far as the ammo goes we only use 170gr Wally World Core-Lokt or Winchester Silver Tip, even though their different brands they strangely shoot the same in that rifle.

I kick myself for letting go of that gun. :roll:

Rifleman 336
Never bite off more than you can chew.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Old Savage wrote:Nice shooting, so you have one of those 356 Marlins.

Yep, bought it off Gunbroker about three years ago. It can be a little finicky, but seems to really like the 180 Speer with H4198. Only killed one Texas hog with it so far, but may carry it this deer season.
NRA Life Member
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Niiiice. :)

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Way to go Ted. :D The other dude must not have been much of a gun man or any kind of a man---he reminds me of the guy who smashes the stock of his rifle because he missed his deer.

You could have handed him a tissue. :D Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Sixgun, your a piece of work! Hahahahaha! :lol:

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Representing us well!!! :D :D :D
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Sixgun wrote:

:lol:

I did feel a little bit bad for him. I mean he did spend a lot more money on his rifle and ammunition.
NRA Life Member
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Good shootin and good story. Thanks for sharing.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Sixgun wrote:Way to go Ted. :D The other dude must not have been much of a gun man or any kind of a man---he reminds me of the guy who smashes the stock of his rifle because he missed his deer.

:D :D :D :D

LB
Hankster
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hankster »

You can buy a Ferrari, but it doesn't mean you know how to DRIVE it!! Lotta flash, without the FEEL, will buy you an encounter with a telephone pole!!! He has a hot gun, but did he really know how to set it up, and SHOOT???
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

You have to love it :wink:
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Great shootin', and great story!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I love it!!

Guy next to me at the range with his scoped rifle could not hit bowling pins at 100 yard berm. I took a shot with my Ruger MKII Govt Model and tipped one over.....They just grit their teeth and mutter under their breath, don't they?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Not only are you a good shot, but also, a highly intellegent shooter for choosing the great .356wcf. :wink: