Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stinkycat
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stinkycat »

picked this last week, 25-20 exellant bore, and squirrel season starts 1 week from this saturday. had planned on using a 39a but this will go instead.Image
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: 1892

Post by AJMD429 »

8) 8) 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Wow, very nice. What year and how is the bore?

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
stinkycat
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stinkycat »

1906 the bore shines, 30 some lookers and not 1 nasty comment about the fibre optic front sight! you guys are slipping.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Sweet grab on that one! :mrgreen:

I actually prefer fiber optic fronts.... :lol: :D

...and your BEAUTIFUL Marlin 39a!!

Thanks, and Good luck, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Smelly Cat,
I noticed the fiber optic sight because you told us about it. :D Don't laugh but I recently got back from the Pa State Levergun Championship and my smallbore rifle was an 1890 in .22 LR WITH a fiber optic sight. Yea, I got laughed at a bit. :D

I have killed a truckload of squirrels with an 1892 in 32-20, starting in 1975. Don't do it anymore as I lost my taste for those tree rats. Just a word of advice--keep your loads down. :wink: In the beginning I used a load that consisted of a 115 gr cast with 5 gr. of Unique--about 1400. It would blow those squirrels to pieces.

Then I got smart and used 3 grains of Bullseye with the same bullet--about 1,000 fps. As the oldtimers say, "Eat right up to the hole". A good squirrel load for your 25-20 would be 3 grains of Bullseye with the 69 gr Lyman or the 86 grainer. In other words, keep the velocity around 1000. In addition to having edible meat, the sound will be low and won't startle the others. I used to sit at the same tree and kill a half dozen before getting up and collecting my "goodies".

There's not much more fun than knocking a squirrel out of a 60' tall oak with a hundred year old rifle. :D -----------Sixgun
Last edited by Sixgun on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

stinkycat wrote:1906 the bore shines, 30 some lookers and not 1 nasty comment about the fibre optic front sight! you guys are slipping.
Well, at least you didn't put a scope on it ..... that would have caused us to start and intervention.

Nice rifle, good luck on your squirrel hunting.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice score.
Old Law Dawg
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

You know, i have been looking for a 25-20 like that for about 6 years now and still do not have one. 1892 rifles with full length mags are rare in Australia, and rarer if you want a 25-20!

I am envious, but at the same time I hope you have a great time with that rifle.

Pop.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

The very first thing I noticed on your '92 was the front sight. It stuck out like army boots on a beautiful woman :D but, hey, if a beautiful woman wants to wear army boots, she's probably got a good reason and that's her prerogative. Nice '92. I'm sure you'll have many hours of enjoyment with it.
Last edited by KirkD on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

You need to treasure that find, and treat it nicely. Lyman makes a mold for a nice cast bullet (gascheck style) for the 25-20. RCBS makes a nice mold (plain base) for the same caliber, but they call it a cowboy mold and charge a few bucks more for it. A lubed cast bullet is just as effective on game as any jacketed one in this caliber, and greased lead, properly sized to your bore, would not inflict wear that old barrel hardly at all. This will cause an uproar this morning, but you could successfully hunt deer with that rifle as well. Lots have been killed cleanly with a well-placed shot from a 25-20. It wouldn't be my first choice--that would be a 30-30 or 45-70, but it would still do the job.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

+KirkD. They are great fun to shoot. :D
"That'll Be The Day"
Nicknack
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Nicknack »

Nice Model 1892 I Love the look of the long magazine with a 24'' octagon barrel
Here is a couple of pics. of my old 1892 25-20 circa 1913 24'' octagon short magazine rifle.
Long magazine Winchesters are quite rare in Australia the short magazines being very common,she shoots tight groups with one of the best bright bores I have ever seen in an old 92. I'd say 98% bore condition, with not a mark or blemish in the bore.I still have the original front & back sights,I made the dovetail blank filler from an old rusty back sight,and cold blued it.I put a marbles tang sight and I think an old Remington .22 target rifle globe sight on the barrel.
Regards Dallas
Model 92 1913 004.JPG
Model 92 1913 005.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's dead easy to die; it's the keeping on living that's hard - Douglas Mawson - Scientist and polar survivor
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Now, where did I leave that drool rag... :mrgreen:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

That there is just plane pretty.

By the way, have we all said thank you to old JB for all the good things he gave us.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad