1873 Winchester in 22 Short

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

1873 Winchester in 22 Short

Post by Old Savage »

Saw one of these at the gun shop today, who knew they made them like that.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1873 Winchester in 22 Short

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Most of the .22 1873's are shorts. It's the longs that are harder to come by. There we supposed to be a few made outside of production with a selector on the elevator that allowed one to run shorts or longs. There were also supposed to be a few in extra-long. I'd bet these were also made by employees fiddling around with them outside of production.

I think a lot of people convert them to .22 long rifle when they have them eventually relined.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

My gunsmith has one, I don't know if it's a short or long. He's wanting to sell several of his Winchesters, but I won't even touch that one.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Next to the 1876 Winchester in 40-60, the 1873 in .22 has got to win the prize as the heaviest rifle in the weakest caliber. :D

'73's in .22 just don't have much of a demand. There is a loyal following though. The only ones I've seen that brough good money were ones with "condition". Also, never did I see one with a bore condition better than a sewer pipe. :D

Had a chance today to snag a Colt Lightning in .22 Long for a G. Ahhh, just did not bite me enough. Those can be headaches too.--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Just finished rebuilding two of them for a frined. Both had short/long breech blocks with a reversible stop that lets the gun shoot short or long. Another friend has an original in 22 short that is in about mint condition. Every rendevous he brings it out to shoot squirrels for the pot. They are fun to play with but talk about a heavy 22 short!
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I have one of the Uberti 73 carbines in 22lr ,one of my favourite 22 s