WIN 92 25/20

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

WIN 92 25/20

Post by the telegraphist »

Have an opportunity to pick up a 1915 made 92 in very good condition with excellent bore, half mag, 24 inch octagonal barrel. The cal is 25/20. Rifle is all original no refinish etc. No experience with this cartridge, just wondering what its good for. Or should I wait for the 38/40 which I really would like. Asking price 1000 Australian which could probably negotiate a bit lower. For this country in the condition it is in thats a good price. Do I need a 25/20? The mind is struggling.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: WIN 92 25/20

Post by rjohns94 »

Need is so subjective. I'm thinking there are plenty of critters down there that you might find the 25-20 useful for. good luck in your decision.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

the telegraphist wrote:Have an opportunity to pick up a 1915 made 92 in very good condition with excellent bore, half mag, 24 inch octagonal barrel. The cal is 25/20. Rifle is all original no refinish etc. No experience with this cartridge, just wondering what its good for. Or should I wait for the 38/40 which I really would like. Asking price 1000 Australian which could probably negotiate a bit lower. For this country in the condition it is in thats a good price. Do I need a 25/20? The mind is struggling.
Good morning. My brothers and I grew up with a 25-20 (albeit Savage bolt action) that our late father won in a raffle. It's a great cartridge if you know its limitations. Several whitetails fell to Dad's rifle as we were growing up. Nobody in the family back then reloaded, though, and even then (1950's) a box of ammo (50 cartridges) were pricey. New brass is available, at least from Remington on a seasonal basis though. If you pay attention to these little cartridges, they'll last a long time. Molds are available from Lyman and RCBS. The latter is a flatnose, gascheck model and a potful of lead certainly goes a long way in making up a pile of projectiles. As grade schoolers who hunted with family firearms, nobody with access to a 25-20 felt undergunned with this caliber, but then again, neither did anyone with their family's old 38-40. Since that time, gunrag writers and those who pray at their altar have badmouthed both cartridges as being inadequate for anything. I don't know what the asking price is for that 25-20 you describe, but it may be a deal. It sounds like it has a lot of character and class, and once you're set up to load cast bullets for it, it can be very cheap to shoot. I've never seen a kangaroo except in a zoo--but unless I'm mistaken somehow, they'd probably drop with a well-placed shot from a 25-20. How long you'd wait for a comparable 38-40 is anyone's guess. More to think about. If it were me, I'd probably snap the 25-20 up. When the 38-40 comes around, you can always sell or trade the 25-20 if you feel a need to. Just my opinion. Good luck.
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

This is a very popular caliber & rifle combo in Cowboy Pistol Cartridge Silhouettes. Accurate, hard-hitting and mild recoil. I'd love to have one.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Of course you need it, i have one made in 1918, dont think too long someone else will buy. Powder and lead lasts a long time tho
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

What does "need" have to do with it? :D

If you want the rifle and you have the cake, stop fretting and just buy the darn thing and live happily ever after. :wink:
msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

Buy it. You will be sorry if you don't. I have a remington pump made in 1924 that used to be a bank guard gun. the 60gr. ammo is pretty hot but a lot of fun, it's one of my favorite rifles.

Mack
Nicknack
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Nicknack »

Model 92's in Australia are hard to find with a good bore and in original unaltered condition.I like both the 25-20 and the 38-40 I would get the rifle that is is the better condition which sounds like the 25-20. You will look at sometimes 50 to a 100 92's before you can find one with an exceptional bore especially in Australia were most of the bores are worn out or badly neglected. If you don't buy the 25-20 you will forever be kicking yourself for letting it slip away.You will pay over $1,500 for a Marlin Cowboy or a Chiappa copy in OZ.I would rather buy something with a bit of history than a newer version. You will not regret it if it is as good as you mention.The brass and projectiles are readily available for reloading so no problem there,to me the 25-20 is like a big 22 Magnum but more versatile.
Good Luck

Here is my old posting of a model 1892 circa 1913 all original with a 98% bore. The only thing is years ago some numnuts drilled and taped the side for a receiver scope mount! but for the $250 i paid for it it was still a bargain
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=27351

Also My favorite 92 a 32-20 Winchester with an original Winchester stainless steel barrel,another old posting
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=27354
It's dead easy to die; it's the keeping on living that's hard - Douglas Mawson - Scientist and polar survivor
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

Nicknack wrote:Model 92's in Australia are hard to find with a good bore and in original unaltered condition.I like both the 25-20 and the 38-40 I would get the rifle that is is the better condition which sounds like the 25-20. You will look at sometimes 50 to a 100 92's before you can find one with an exceptional bore especially in Australia were most of the bores are worn out or badly neglected. If you don't buy the 25-20 you will forever be kicking yourself for letting it slip away.You will pay over $1,500 for a Marlin Cowboy or a Chiappa copy in OZ.I would rather buy something with a bit of history than a newer version. You will not regret it if it is as good as you mention.The brass and projectiles are readily available for reloading so no problem there,to me the 25-20 is like a big 22 Magnum but more versatile.
Good Luck

Here is my old posting of a model 1892 circa 1913 all original with a 98% bore. The only thing is years ago some numnuts drilled and taped the side for a receiver scope mount! but for the $250 i paid for it it was still a bargain

Also My favorite 92 a 32-20 Winchester with an original Winchester stainless steel barrel,another old posting
Beautiful rifles. I especially like the .25-20 with the button magazine, my favorite look for a 92. Wouldn't it be nice to see Rossi come out with a 92 having a half-round barrel, button mag and CCH receiver in a small CF cal. like, say, .32 H&R or .327 Magnum? I'd be first in line to buy one of these puppies!
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Washita wrote:
Nicknack wrote:Model 92's in Australia are hard to find with a good bore and in original unaltered condition.I like both the 25-20 and the 38-40 I would get the rifle that is is the better condition which sounds like the 25-20. You will look at sometimes 50 to a 100 92's before you can find one with an exceptional bore especially in Australia were most of the bores are worn out or badly neglected. If you don't buy the 25-20 you will forever be kicking yourself for letting it slip away.You will pay over $1,500 for a Marlin Cowboy or a Chiappa copy in OZ.I would rather buy something with a bit of history than a newer version. You will not regret it if it is as good as you mention.The brass and projectiles are readily available for reloading so no problem there,to me the 25-20 is like a big 22 Magnum but more versatile.
Good Luck

Beautiful rifles. I especially like the .25-20 with the button magazine, my favorite look for a 92. Wouldn't it be nice to see Rossi come out with a 92 having a half-round barrel, button mag and CCH receiver in a small CF cal. like, say, .32 H&R or .327 Magnum? I'd be first in line to buy one of these puppies!
Why not a Rossi in 25-20 or 32-20, or even 38-40? They already offer a 44-40, and the rest would just make the family complete. Components, dies, and molds are all available for these calibers, and the 92 was originally designed for them all. Should be minimal feeding problems with these bottleneck cartridges.
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

jlchucker wrote:
Washita wrote:
Good Luck

Why not a Rossi in 25-20 or 32-20, or even 38-40? They already offer a 44-40, and the rest would just make the family complete. Components, dies, and molds are all available for these calibers, and the 92 was originally designed for them all. Should be minimal feeding problems with these bottleneck cartridges.
.25/20 or .32/20 would be great! Just thought it might be easier to find cases for .32 H&R, easier to reload with carbide sizing die and maybe more successful commercially. But the cal. would be less important to me than the design.