MOVIES (TV) - Lonesome Dove

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
aussie
Levergunner 2.0

MOVIES (TV) - Lonesome Dove

Post by aussie »

This is probably off topic, but I have seen this movie several times and have finally read the book. Wonderfull! If there are any of you out there that has seen the movie but not read the book, I would highly suggest you do so. Very close to the movie but includes a lot more and ties some things together. Anyway, just my rant......enjoy.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Re: Lonesome Dove

Post by firefuzz »

Best western mini-series ever. I've watched it several times and read the book.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: MOVIES (TV) - Lonesome Dove

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Something I must do!
Seen the movie many times.....
Gus is probably one of the best western characters ever....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Agreed! Book is a must read.....movie is just icing on the cake.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Great movie and Great book... :)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

One of my all-time favorite movies.

Please give me a couple hints of what is in the book better than the movie.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Bullard 4075: In the book, the lead bull on the drive (a large and ugly Longhorn) has an epic fight with a grizz. I won't tell you who won, as this is only a hint.
In the book, friend Jake gives his horse to Newt, right before he is hanged.
KSFlatheadhunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KSFlatheadhunter »

aussie wrote:This is probably off topic, but I have seen this movie several times and have finally read the book. Wonderfull! If there are any of you out there that has seen the movie but not read the book, I would highly suggest you do so. Very close to the movie but includes a lot more and ties some things together. Anyway, just my rant......enjoy.
Thanks aussie! That is one of my favorite movies! Another book for the reading list.

Darin
I can all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13

Life is hard, it is harder if your stupid. John Wayne
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Lonesome Dove (VERY Lonesome................)

Post by Old No7 »

<< Posted at the risk of being shot!!! >>

Maybe it's me, and maybe this reply should be labeled as "off topic"...

But I've only watched 1/2 the movie -- and I just can't get up the interest to finish it...

I tried -- I mean I really tried to like it -- but for me, it's not lived up to all the hype and positive comments I've read here and on other forums.

It's... "Just OK". :? Sort of like "Appaloosa", which I'd describe the same way... :(

If you like it a lot -- or if you love it -- well good for you!!! :wink:

To me, while the costuming and sets were good, the character development and dialog was 2nd-rate, and the plot was rather pedantic...

Tell me this though................ Is the 2nd disc any better than the 1st??? :?:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Lonesome Dove (VERY Lonesome................)

Post by shooter »

Old No7 wrote:<< Posted at the risk of being shot!!! >>

Maybe it's me, and maybe this reply should be labeled as "off topic"...

But I've only watched 1/2 the movie -- and I just can't get up the interest to finish it...

I tried -- I mean I really tried to like it -- but for me, it's not lived up to all the hype and positive comments I've read here and on other forums.

It's... "Just OK". :? Sort of like "Appaloosa", which I'd describe the same way... :(

If you like it a lot -- or if you love it -- well good for you!!! :wink:

To me, while the costuming and sets were good, the character development and dialog was 2nd-rate, and the plot was rather pedantic...

Tell me this though................ Is the 2nd disc any better than the 1st??? :?:

Old No7
If you get into the movie (which I did, it's my favorite), I wouldn't say the 2nd disc is necessarily "better" than the first, but it's different. A good story line lets you develop relationships with the characters, get to know them, and kinda get emotionally attached to them. For me, Lonesome Dove does a good job of this in the first half of the movie. The second half is not "better" per se, but it lets you see what becomes of all the characters, and you get to see the story unfold. All the dialogue from the first part of the movie starts to come together, and there are some surprises. You get to see how the characters forge bonds, break bonds, and deal with adversity. I always get a little lump in my throat when watching the end of the movie. IMO, if you haven't watched the whole thing, you should at least once. It's better if you can do it all at once, but I realize that most people don't get 6 hrs. of free time that often to sit down and watch it. Every once in a while I will watch a little every night for 3 or 4 nights in a row.

I am also one that generally agrees that the book is usually better than the movie. In this case, I really enjoyed the book, but the movie was just as enjoyable if not more so for me. Maybe it's because I watched the movie several times before I finally read the book in high school. I did a detailed book report on it. From my recollection the movie follows pretty closely to the book. Movies that do this are sometimes as enjoyable as the book.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

One of my favorites. As a matter of fact I just watched it again last week. Never read the book. Will have to do that.

Kevin
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

Great movie and book; I've read it a couple of times, and usually watch it about every two to three years (great movie for January/February). Personally, I think it's one of the few instances where a film actually lives up to the book. For me, the book gets the edge for detail and additional story lines, like the lead bull/grizzly fight, but the movie makes up for it with character development.

Shooter, although I like both discs equally as well, the second disc leaves you feeling like you've known Gus McCrae and Woodrow Call for years. Check it out if you get a chance, it may change your opinion of the movie.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Martini450 wrote:Great movie and book; I've read it a couple of times, and usually watch it about every two to three years (great movie for January/February). Personally, I think it's one of the few instances where a film actually lives up to the book. For me, the book gets the edge for detail and additional story lines, like the lead bull/grizzly fight, but the movie makes up for it with character development.

Shooter, although I like both discs equally as well, the second disc leaves you feeling like you've known Gus McCrae and Woodrow Call for years. Check it out if you get a chance, it may change your opinion of the movie.
I think there's been a misunderstanding, I love the whole movie :D I was responding to Old No. 7's post about not being able to get into it. I feel the same way about the second disk, that the character development is excellent.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Yep, I agree, the movie and book are both great. It is interesting that others agree with my opinion that it is one of the few movies based on a novel that is as good or better than the book.

I have to give to give credit to Rangerider and other Old West historians on this forum for piquing my interest in the Goodnight/Loving story that was the basis for McMurtry's book.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

shooter wrote:
Martini450 wrote:Great movie and book; I've read it a couple of times, and usually watch it about every two to three years (great movie for January/February). Personally, I think it's one of the few instances where a film actually lives up to the book. For me, the book gets the edge for detail and additional story lines, like the lead bull/grizzly fight, but the movie makes up for it with character development.

I think there's been a misunderstanding, I love the whole movie :D I was responding to Old No. 7's post about not being able to get into it. I feel the same way about the second disk, that the character development is excellent.
Misunderstanding on my part-sorry about that! My first response was meant for Old No. 7 as well. That's why I have to read the book every couple of years, to make sure I get the author right!!!
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

66GTO wrote:Yep, I agree, the movie and book are both great. It is interesting that others agree with my opinion that it is one of the few movies based on a novel that is as good or better than the book.

I have to give to give credit to Rangerider and other Old West historians on this forum for piquing my interest in the Goodnight/Loving story that was the basis for McMurtry's book.
Another interesting thing here is, if I remember right, McMurtry had originally written the story as a screenplay back in the early '70s, but for some reason it never came to fruition, so he put it together as a novel in the '80s. Whatever the case, the story is such a good one that reading it puts me in the mood to watch it, and watching it makes me want to read it again. And both make me want to shoot my Walker.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

I read the same thing and that he wanted John Wayne as Call, Jimmy Stewart as Gus, and Henry Fonda as Jake Spoon.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

you've done yourself the disservice of allowing the hype to lead you to expect something. This isn't 'blockbuster', it's a quiet, laid back story with some punctuation, but you can't watch this 'expecting' something and enjoy it for what it is. Some day when you've got time just try watching it, instead of "expecting" something from it.

If you want to get the story in chronological order, it's

Dead Man's Walk
Comanche Moon
Lonesome Dove
Streets of Laredo

the series, 'return' movies, etc. are kind of in an 'alternate universe' and might best be left for when you go back and watch them again.

Highlight the area between the lines if you want to read it. I've tried to color it like the background but I can't get it quite right, sorry.
* * * * * * * * * * spoiler alert* * * * * * * * *

I personally find McMurtry's writing style easy and fun to read, but my God I wish somebody would sell him a point. It's so depressing reading about all these people suffering and dying and no payoff in the end.

Last edited by Idahoser on Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

Idahoser wrote: If you want to get the story in chronological order, it's

Dead Man's Walk
Comanche Moon
Lonesome Dove
Streets of Laredo

I personally find McMurtry's writing style easy and fun to read, but my God I wish somebody would sell him a point. It's so depressing reading about all these people suffering and dying and no payoff in the end.

I just finished reading Dead Man's Walk the other night (kind of read them out of order - 3,4,2,1). The books that chronologically take place before Lonesome Dove really flesh out some of the reasons Gus and Call are the way they are. I would recommend reading the entire series to anyone that liked Lonesome Dove.
Idahoser - with regards to your somments in the spoiler - I think that's part of the attraction of these stories. The raw, dirty, flawed, fragileness of life in that era.