Sears brand .30-30 (Winchester)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Senior Levergunner

Sears brand .30-30 (Winchester)

Post by 2571 »

Gopt a chance at a Sears & Roebuck 1950's lever rifle in 30-30, made by Winchester. 95% bluing, usual nicks etc in wood from handling and use. I'm interested because it would be pre-1964.

How much does the Sears brand markings affect it's price? I assume Sears will be considerably less than one marked Wichester.
Hobie

Re: Sears brand .30-30 (Winchester)

Post by Hobie »

I would pay about $250-300 depending on exact configuration and condition. We had one in the shop for $300 and people passed it by for a Winchester and $100 more...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

2571 wrote:Gopt a chance at a Sears & Roebuck 1950's lever rifle in 30-30, made by Winchester. 95% bluing, usual nicks etc in wood from handling and use. I'm interested because it would be pre-1964.

How much does the Sears brand markings affect it's price? I assume Sears will be considerably less than one marked Wichester.
To my knowledge all Sears marked Win 94s were all Post-64s. However I could be wrong. Or it could be a re-barreled Pre-64.
At any rate a serial number would help, or a really good description.
Before you buy it because it's supposed to be a pre-64, check out this picture essay:
How to tell pre and post 64 Win 94s apart;
http://onesticky.levergunscommunity.org ... sters.html

If it is the typical post-64 Win 94 then price shouldn't be as high as a regular Winchester.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I have seen it stated before that all Sears Winchesters were post-'64, but I have to say that personal recollection contradicts this. I well remember being green with envy of my older cousin who had one of these rifles. I also recall very distinctly the horrible recoil (to a kid) when he let me fire it, and his kind and gentle ribbing as he assured me that if I was as big and old as he was (15 at the time) it "wouldn't be nuthin'". As I practically worshipped him, I believed it and, truth to tell, it turned out to be pretty much true

All this would be subject to the vagaries of memory, except for the fact that he was tragically killed in a car wreck in 1963, and I know I shot that gun the winter before he died. I wouldn't mind seeing some documentation one way or another, though. 48 years is a long time.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

J Miller wrote:
2571 wrote:Gopt a chance at a Sears & Roebuck 1950's lever rifle in 30-30, made by Winchester. 95% bluing, usual nicks etc in wood from handling and use. I'm interested because it would be pre-1964.

To my knowledge all Sears marked Win 94s were all Post-64s. However I could be wrong. Or it could be a re-barreled Pre-64.
Before you buy it because it's supposed to be a pre-64, check out this picture essay:

If it is the typical post-64 Win 94 then price shouldn't be as high as a regular Winchester.

Joe
I always thought so too, Joe, but could be wrong. All the ones I saw at the factory between 1969 and 1971 that were made for Sears had a slightly shorter magazine tube and were marked "Ted Williams".
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

jlchucker wrote:
J Miller wrote:

Joe
I always thought so too, Joe, but could be wrong. All the ones I saw at the factory between 1969 and 1971 that were made for Sears had a slightly shorter magazine tube and were marked "Ted Williams".
I've seen those too. New at Sears years ago and used off and on. Never seen one built on a pre-64 receiver though.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Thankee.

I've never seen pre/post compared. I guess there is a difference.

I'll keep y'all posted & post pics if deal works out.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

2571, one quick way to tell that it may be pre-64 from a distance is to look at the lever link. That's the flat piece that the lever comes through on the bottom of the gun. It pivots down with the lever when you work the action. The pre-64's link pivots on a pin that goes through the receiver, and is held in place by a single screw that goes up through the link to a slot in the pin. The post-64's were made, up until the early-to-mid 1970's, with a link that was held in place with a screw that went through the action. The link won't have a screw on its lower face, just ahead of the lever. That's just an indicator, though. Winchester went back to the pin-and-screw arrangement when they came out with the angle eject. Check out that reference that J Miller posted. You should get info enough to identify what you're looking at, pre or -post 64. Another clue is to open the action and see if the piece that lifts the cartridge is stamped steel or machined from something more solid.