OT: Jeff Quinn Review - .327 Freedom Arms 97 & Ruger SS

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Jeff Quinn Review - .327 Freedom Arms 97 & Ruger SS

Post by Pete44ru »

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nice guns.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Those are nice guns, and they sure shoot well, good groups. Jim
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Nice article, Jeff. That Freedom Arms Model 97 with the dual cylinder really caught my eye. They are supposed to be built like bank vaults. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Freedom Arms also make a 32-20 cylinder for their 32 H&R revolver?
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

kaschi wrote:Nice article, Jeff. That Freedom Arms Model 97 with the dual cylinder really caught my eye. They are supposed to be built like bank vaults. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Freedom Arms also make a 32-20 cylinder for their 32 H&R revolver?
Yes they do. It's a shooter too. Paco Kelly had a hand in developing that gun. Look here for details:
http://www.gunblast.com/Freedom_97-32.htm

I found it to also shoot very accurately, handheld at 25 yards, with Black Hills factory ammo:

Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

WOW! Thats impressive Jeff!
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

Bigahh wrote:WOW! Thats impressive Jeff!
Thanks, but I still missed that quarter!

Aimed just a bit too high, I guess.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

darn, that is good shootin' Jeff! You'd be the right man to be near when it hits the fan!
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

kaschi wrote:darn, that is good shootin' Jeff! You'd be the right man to be near when it hits the fan!
I would probably be under the table whimpering like a lost puppy.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My parents are getting older, and my Mom can't handle a .357 Mag. I think I will buy them a Ruger in the new .32 Hornady. They live in a medium to high crime city and I can't get them to move. They need more protection, and my Dad has my Wife's GP100 (she loaned it to him) under his side of the bed. I think my Mom needs something and the SP or GP101 in this new caliber loods like just the ticket.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well I already purchased a SP101 in 327 Federal !

And I suppose if Ruger see's fit to bring out a single action in the round I'll have to have one of them as well !!!!!
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT: Jeff Quinn Review - .327 Freedom Arms 97 & Ruger

Post by BAGTIC »

I read the Gunblast article and would like to point out that increasing the length of the cartridge case does not normally increase the case capacity. Increasing the COL will normally increase usable case capacity. Unless one is using short (lightweight?) bullets there is little or nothing to be gained ballistically by lengthening the case, the principle effect of which is a bullet that seats deeper in the case and a shorter and ballistically less efficient ogive.
Papa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Papa »

What????

Papa
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Just out of Serious Curiosity what would a Mod. 97 with the dual cylinders set me back?
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Re: OT: Jeff Quinn Review - .327 Freedom Arms 97 & Ruger

Post by Jeff Quinn »

BAGTIC wrote:
I read the Gunblast article and would like to point out that increasing the length of the cartridge case does not normally increase the case capacity. Increasing the COL will normally increase usable case capacity. Unless one is using short (lightweight?) bullets there is little or nothing to be gained ballistically by lengthening the case, the principle effect of which is a bullet that seats deeper in the case and a shorter and ballistically less efficient ogive.
Are you therefore stating that the .357 Maximum has the same case capacity as the .38 Special? The .45-90 the same case capacity as the .45-60 and .45-70? The .327 Federal the same as the .32 S&W (Short)?

That makes no sense at all. The reason for lengthening the case is many times solely to increase case capacity.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com