Weaver Mounts vs. Leupold

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Weaver Mounts vs. Leupold

Post by El Chivo »

Well, I've decided on a scope for my 336, and it's time to think about the mounting.

The scope is a Weaver V3 (compact) and I was going to go with Weaver base and Weaver low rings. Then I was perusing SWFA and saw the Leupold base (looks a little slimmer) and rings. It looks like the Leupold rings are center mounted.

As it happens, I have a Leupold base set for my Winchester 94. So if I get the Leupold base, I suppose I could use the scope on my Win 94's as well. Might be handy for load development, etc.

Any pros or cons with either system? Is the Leupold solid enough? What do you guys prefer?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

I use either leupold or talley rings and bases..BTW talley has a one piece ring and base for marlin 336..I use them on my ruger 10-22 and remmy 700 and love them..as for the leupold s go there plenty strong and well made..

also if you go with the talley one piece..there lows are a little more like peupold mid size..I really like the talleys.

the one draw back on the talley or leupold is there not as adjustable as a weaver rail and bases as far as where you can mount the rings ..but with that scope I don't think it should matter
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

One of the options I will be looking at is to be able to remove the scope with a Quick Detach setup, and use the open sights if needed. I am sure both of your choices have this option. Whichever is the lowest to see over would get my vote.
Last edited by Bigahh on Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have used both. Both are strong and work well. What you like the best with your rifle.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

IMO the Leupold rings are pretty, and the Weaver rings are stronger.

I have both, but I prefer the Weavers.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The Weaver system works better as a Q.D., but the Leupold returns to zero better than the Weaver.

The best of all would be the Leupold Q.D. lever mounts, but AFAIK the only bases available for those Q.D. rings are for boltguns.

BTW - I've got Weaver V-3's on two rifles, and never used the iron sights again, once the scope was mounted - I just turn it to 1X.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Weavers are lighter, cheaper and plenty strong. The idea of moving one scope back and forth between two rifles is unworkable, no matter what mounts you have, because you would have to rezero each rifle each time the scope was moved, a waste of time and effort. Better to spend that time and ammo on practice with a sighted rifle. Decent fixed power scopes are quite reasonable and more sturdy than a cheap variable.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

If you need another scope I'd highly recommend the Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32. They are better than most $300.00 scopes, and they only cost a little over $60.00 online.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I much prefer the Weaver style to the Redfield style ring system. I think the Weaver style is much stronger.
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

I also have used both Talley and Leupold bases and rings and have been completely satisfied with both. On a side note, I have a set of Millet bases and rings on my Mauser Custom and they were cheap, definitely not sexy, and have been absolutely rock solid since I locktited my Leupold Vari X III in on the rifle 12 years ago. My favorite are the Talleys.
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Well I was going to order both and decide at home, but it turns out the low Weaver rings were backordered, so I went with the Leupold for now.

If it looks too high or doesn't seem strong I can order the Weaver with an ammo order. But I wanted to look through that scope! And there was only a .061" difference, that's 2.4mm.

I don't know if I'm a scope man really, my dominant eye is on the wrong side. But I am keen to try it. I'll get to see how a scope performs at first light.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Walmart has the best prices on rings & bases. Don't buy the 2 piece base set.

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I have both, and I prefer the Leupold. Plenty stout and much nicer to look at.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

If you look at the rifles of African Guides you will most frequently find the scopes mounted in Weaver rings because they are one of the few brands that will withstand the recoil of their heavy rifles.

For a .30-30 anything will work. They have no recoil.

Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

For a quick detach style, I like these Leupold's that will fit any Weaver style or Picatinny rail:
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Those are nice looking, the Leupold type I avoid is the style where you install the front ring and then twist it. Is that what's known as the "Redfield" style?

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I think that's what I got - the standard Leupold.

Well, today I ordered the Weaver setup from SWFA, they had it in stock. I'll take a look at both and decide. I like the idea of a stout mount because I'll be climbing with it. I think the rifle will get carried much more than shot. But I have a weakness for things that look nicely designed, so we'll see.
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

Either of your choices would have been a good one. If you want the lowest bases I know of, try some Warne two piece bases and Weaver low rings. This is the lowest setup I have found for my Marlin leverguns.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

2 piece bases will only work with long scopes. They won't work with compact scopes.

edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

There are three different sets of rings/bases I'd consider. First, the Weaver Trophy series of QD rings using basic Weaver bases. Second, Leupold angle lock QD rings on basic Weaver type bases and Third, the best, Warne Maxima QD rings on standard Weaver type bases. They are simply the best, period!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I went with the Weaver setup after trying both. I loved putting together the Leupold, but it weighed 4 oz more and was about 1 mm higher. The Weaver was noticeably easier to shoulder and sight, I guess the 1 mm makes a difference. Or the weight, balance, something.

The Leupold rings also have ribs on the inside surface which would bite into the aluminum of the scope tube. That might deface the scope. The Weaver rings are a little wider, might hold the scope better. And they are quick to detatch by hand if I want to change over to open sights.

I'm keeping the Leupold around in case I need it later or change my mind. One thing, the windage adjustment on the rear is a nice idea, but the part of the rear ring that the windage screws hold on to look insecure to me. I guess that's the industry standard, but...

I like the scope, I was afraid I wouldn't. I was swinging it around and sighting on things in the house. In general I could sight on something in 1 second. I tried that with the tang sight and it was more like 3 seconds.