Factory 45 colt loads for deer hunting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rdm_01
Levergunner

Factory 45 colt loads for deer hunting

Post by Rdm_01 »

Hi to all! This is my first post so I'll try to keep it short. I have just purchase a Rossi M92 with a 20" octogon barrel and chambered in 45 Colt. I want to use it for some deer hunting and just general shooting. I did a search and tried to find an answer before I posted this, but didn't find anything that pretty much spelled it out for me. The maximum yardage will be about 75 yards, as I hunt in heavely wooded area. I do not reload as of yet, so this option is out. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

As for the Rossi, it is far above what I expected! Beautiful rifle!

Thanks again for any input.
"I haven't lost my temper in forty years, but pilgrim you caused a lot of trouble this morning, might have got somebody killed... and somebody oughta belt you in the mouth. But I won't, I won't. The *hell* I won't!" John Wayne as G.W. McLintock

NRA Life Member (EPL)
Blackjack
Levergunner

Re: Factory 45 colt loads for deer hunting

Post by Blackjack »

The 45 colt is suited well for your hunting conditions. The factory loads are generally on the mild side due to a lot of older guns around. In general the factory ammo is good for whitetails but if you"d like more performance there are options. I reload but have used some Buffalo Bore ammo not really a bargan but good stuff. Phil

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php
Free Men Don't Need Permission To Bear Arms ---- Thomas Jefferson ----
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Howdy and Welcome.

Ammo can get kinda scarce this time of year. Midway is almost completely out of everything.

I reload mine, but something like this from Ammo To Go will work for just about anything you're going to need to kill.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Try Speer's Lawman 45 Colt ammo. I've used that in my Rossi. With it's 24" barrel, it extends my deer killin' range to about 100 yards. Pretty darn accurate, too. 250gr hollowpoints if I remember correctly.

Even though Speer says its for personal protection, I put a couple of rounds straight through a 4" fir at about 45 yards. I doubt a deer is tougher than a tree.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Welcome, Double tap makes some good ammo if you dont load in standard and +P. danny
http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a .45 Colt revolver, but not the rifle. However, the pistol has taken 1 deer at about 30 yards using factory silvertip loads. It was a good clean kill with only 1 shot needed. The doe made 2 jumps and piled up. The leveraction should only be better.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I dropped one with a Colt New Service 45 Colt 250 gr lead Winchesters 1 shot 20 feet... Dropped on the spot!..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I use PMC 45HA loaded with 300 gr Hornady JSP bullets. I shoots about 1400 fps out of my 24" barrel.I've killed two mule deer DRT with one shot each between 80 to 100 yards. Both fell in their own shadow. It's marked +P+ on the headstamp and the box warns not to shoot in weaker guns.

Problem is I haven't seen it for sale lately-not in stores or in catalogs. Grab some if you see it at a gun show. Price was 25 to 28 dollars for 50 before the price gouging of late.
I wasn't able to recover either bullet to see what it looked like after impact. Both were clean pass throughs.
45HA PMC 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Hornady LeverEvolution .45 Colt is designed for deer hunting but it's pretty mild standard pressure stuff.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Rdm_01
Levergunner

Post by Rdm_01 »

Thanks for all the info. Hopefully soon I will be able to reload and I won't have to worry about this.
"I haven't lost my temper in forty years, but pilgrim you caused a lot of trouble this morning, might have got somebody killed... and somebody oughta belt you in the mouth. But I won't, I won't. The *hell* I won't!" John Wayne as G.W. McLintock

NRA Life Member (EPL)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to the Forum.

I have the "Short Rifle" version, also in .45 Colt. Although I haven't got a shot at one yet, I carry mine for havelina loaded with Winchester's 225gr. Silvertips. As long as you stay away from the "cowboy" stuff, I wouldn't worry about factory loads for the .45Colt, especially any jacketed rounds.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Welcome, I have had great luck with Georgia Arms ammo out of both my rifle and revolvers.
Good luck

http://georgia-arms.com/45longcolt.aspx
It is not the critic who counts
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

<bump>
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Grizzly Cartridge Co. (505) 556-3006

265 Grain Hawk or 300 grain Cast. I've used it many times on deer out to 100 yds and they both work great.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I can't imagine any .45 Colt round not being enough for deer.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Rdm_01 wrote:Thanks for all the info. Hopefully soon I will be able to reload and I won't have to worry about this.
Don't know how much time you have before your hunt, but a Lee Loader will do a fine job on 45 Colt... $25.

A standard load with 250 grain bullet going 800 fps out of a revolver will clock 1000 fps in your carbine and do a fine job out to 75 yards. A little faster doesn't hurt. A good hard cast bullet will do just as well as a hollow point at this speed. A 45 caliber hole through and through will bring it down within 50 yards of the shot hitting the buck.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Except maybe for the Grizzly cartridge and maybe Buffalo Bore has a few, most factory ammo would be illegal to use on deer in Nebraska.

I am still mulling over getting a Marlin in 45 colt with long barrel. I like the Grizz cartridge and a couple of the buffalo bore rounds. Would do just fine out of my tree. All shots would be under 50yards. My 357mag marlin is what I used 20 some years ago when I was a kid and before the Game Commission told me I couldn't kill deer with it. Wish they would have told me sooner, be alot more deer alive down there. It was a killer, used 180 gr Federals.

The 45 colt in above cartridges,( and I am sure there are more and not even talking about reloading yet) would be very efficient deer killer in my situation.

Next year. I may be able to make that happen next year.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Like many have said your velocity will step up in the rifle so I don't think you will have a problem out to 75/100 yrds, with most of the standard .45 loads I Use real warm handloads but my shooting load is just 9.5gr of unique with a 255gr cast lee bullet I would trust my 9.5 gr load for the biggest deer at 1070fps out of my 16'' Rossi.