OT-I let myself get pushed around a lot

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverBar »

There is a tremendous difference in the condition of houses and of people. It sounds as if you are the only good thing in this deal. The house, and the sellers' and agent's ethics are not up to the standards you need to be content in this deal--comfortable living in that house.

I understand that there is an attraction to the house since you are so close to having it be yours, but you don't want a lemon.

The most important aspect about buying a house is that it will be your HOME. A house that eats your money every month is not a comfort.

We signed on for three houses before we finally bought one. Each time, it was shady agent/builder dealings that caused the process to derail. But we finally found a house that did become a home. We lived there eight(?) years until we moved out of town. Whenever my wife and I talk of that house, it brings us good feelings. We will cherish it.

Find another agent and another house. Your wife's and your happiness should not be disregarded for the sake of these other disreputable parties.
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

Sounds like you've made a decision.
Whatever you do, keep in mind it's YOUR money, YOUR responcibility, YOUR family.
YOU have to live with it.
Besides, if life was easy, it wouldn't be much fun. :lol:
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Jason_W wrote:All right, it's done.

Feels like a huge weight off.

Good man!

That's a huge weight off my shoulders, too. I've been worrying about what you'd do and praying for you all day while away from the computer.

Best of luck!

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Don't walk, run away and make sure you get back any deposits ASAP.

You have no obligation to someone who is trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Jason:

My wife and I took a long time to find our house. Where we are at now, everything is working out for us. Keep praying and GOD will lead you. We had to move to another state, but that is apparently what we were supposed to do. Since moving here 10 years ago, our kids are doing great in school, our house has doubled in market value, my job has increased 50 percent in salary. When it is right, it is RIGHT! Keep searching.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

Rule number 1 in real estate

Take care of yourself because you can't count on anyone else to do it for you.

Rule number 2

No shame in taking the legal option of walking away. This is what the inspection process is set up for and how it is intended to be used. I walked away from one last year and sleep very well at night in the house I did eventually purchase.

Good luck!
No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself

There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you.
Will Rogers
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

DO NOT buy a home that your gut tells you is wrong! It's not a car that you'll trade in if you find it's a lemon!
If the inspector found that much wrong, imagine what's lurkin under the plaster, and in areas he can't look!
It's not the only home for sale, and even if the seller is willing to fix everything on the list, it will still be a problem child in the future.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
redeux
Levergunner

Post by redeux »

bail out now ! there are too many excellent houses going for good prices to mess with a junker...
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I'd say either renegotiate taking the cost of upgradeing plus into consideration or walk. I'd be thinking of tossing the agent too if he was pressureing me to buy something I'm nervous about.

One thing to remember. Regardless of what anybody anywhere says, the agent is not working for you. They get paid when a house sells a percentage of the selling price. They can be helpful in finding a home but theyre not your friend. Theyre just doing a job.

If you want one thats your friend you need to find one that'll work in the hopes that YOU will cough up the 6% or whatever commision after the deal. It wont likely happen tho.

An inspector will almost always find something for you to use for leverage, they do work for you. I'v only bought one house but the things the inspector found knocked a nice hunk off the selling price.

See, once an inspector finds somethiung wrong the seller has to disclose the problems to future interested parties. In other words its in their best interest to sell it to you if you still want it at a reduced price since from then on everyone will know of the issues & possibly they will know they tried to sell without discloseing them.

Theres more houses out there, dont sweat it, take your time & get the best you can!
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

I've thought long and hard about what I really want out of a place to live.

It needs to be warm, comfortable, and energy efficient. I would also rather spend my weekends out hunting and fishing than making repairs or waiting on repair men, all while bleeding heat out of sub-standard windows.

I'm really considering going the manufactured home route. I see two 7 acre parcels listed for 30-40k. That's a steal in Vermont. I think I'd rather live in a mobile home on 7 acres that I own than in a money pit on 1 acre or less.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Thats not a bad idea at all.
I'm not real fond of manufactured homes but it might be real doable to live in one on that land & as finances permit build what you want.
I need a basement.

If you get good contractors residential construction is fine. Its like everything else in that you get what you pay for. I'v seen both extremes but have to say that normally residential builders are the better craftsman between them & commercial guys, in my experience anyway.

Have you looked into them log home kits?
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Leverdude wrote:

Have you looked into them log home kits?
A little bit. It's another option.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT-I let myself get pushed around a lot

Post by cubrock »

Walk away. You haven't wasted anyone's time. You could consider that they have wasted yours. Either way, it is part of the home buying and selling process.

You DO NOT want to buy someone else's problem. Trust me!
.........THE TWINS..........

brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

good advise

Post by brucew44guns »

Jason, I think these forum members have given you a great deal of excellent advise. You sought advise, you got the best. I'm a little like you, I hate to get a deal cooking and then not go through with it just because of a few things not being right. But a long time ago a man told me this:----it was just after a girl friend broke it off with me and I was so sad. He said, " There are as many fish in the sea that have been caught, and just as good of bait that caught them". He knew there were other girls, nice ones----I just needed to look and find another one. Trust me, there are millions of homes for sale, and I'd be willing to bet that when you do buy one, you will look back at this loser house you passed on, and be grateful you walked. Bruce
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

WALK AWAY!

You owe it to yourself, your bride, and your kids to provide them a home that is safe and comfortable. You owe the seller a explanation as to why you are opting out but that is all.

Wm
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Don't buy it. Tell your agent to work for you or hit the road.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

Wait a minute. Do you like the house? If you like the house, and you want the house, then work it out. Old windows do not mean a house is defective. Get estimates for the cost of fixing things that are truly broken, defective, dangerous, etc, then see if you can negotiate those costs into a lower price for the house. I have a house from the early 1950's. If someone did not like my windows, they could go find themselves another house to buy. Or, they could ask me to knock some money off the cost of the house. I probably would not do so. The windows work fine, but yeah they are drafty and some don't latch. So what? If the potential buyer did not like the windows, he or she could go get some other house. I'm not knocking the cost of all new windows off the price of the house, no way. But this seller might be willing to negotiate. I thi nk your inspection report is being too picky. It's like someone saying, well, the house only has a one car garage and I want a two car garage. Oh yeah? Go find one with a two car garage. I'm not building you a garage so that you will buy my house. Anyway, YOU need to decide if you like this house and if you want this house. No house is perfect.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Walk away. You owe them nothing.
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

Walk away! remember this: EVERYONE involved in this deal is in it to make money; everyone except you that is. That includes "your" agent, if you are using one. Remember that. They owe you a good product at a fair price. This is not a good product at the price (as I read your reaction in the post) so keep looking, that is what your agent is for. By the way, I would DEFINITELY use the same home inspector again. Sounds like he earned his money and saved you on this.

PS. I said: ""your" Agent" on purpose, The agent, matter how good and honest, does not get paid until you close and makes more the more you spend. ie. "your" agent has an inherent conflict of interest to see you close quickly and spend a lot, even if it does not affect the agents performance.
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
g5m
Levergunner

Post by g5m »

As above. This is a "Run, Forrest, Run!" situation.