Price Check: H&R Officer's Model Trapdoor Springfield.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Price Check: H&R Officer's Model Trapdoor Springfield.

Post by Bruce Scott »

Any idea how much these are selling for in mint condition?

HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Price Check: H&R Officer's Model Trapdoor Springfield.

Post by HEAD0001 »

I sold one about 7 or 8 years ago for $600. And it did not take long to sell for that price. It is one of the ones I wish I hadn't sold. Only problem I did not like about mine was the aperture sight. On mine there was no marks for adjustment. You had to make the marks yourself. Tom.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

There's one for sale on GB right now that started at $750 with no bids. Looks to be in excellent condition.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Thanks for your replies.

The one on GB (197140214) is very nice and I would be all over it if it was in Australia - :)

They are are a fairly rare beast here so I expect to pay somewhat more than in the US.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Bruce Scott wrote:The one on GB (197140214) is very nice and I would be all over it if it was in Australia - :)

I would too but it's too close to Christmas and I've got a new grandson on the way in two weeks. I've always wanted on of those.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Too late anyway.

The pic Bruce posted went up on usedguns.com.au this morning and sold this afternoon for AU$1500

I thought the trapdoor was a simple design but the prices don't seem to reflect this.
These prices were gleaned from US sites and you can bet will go up by between 50% and 100% by the time they get to OZ.
The Uberti trapdoor is advertised for between $1429 and $1669
EMF have one advertised for $1250
A Pedersoli on Gunbroker had a buy it now price of $1200
New Pedersolis are listed between $1265 and $1695
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Hook

Post by Hook »

HEAD0001, I had the same issue with mine when I got it. Took the tang sight base off and sent it to Lee Shaver. He modified one of his mid-range staffs to fit it and it works like a charm. Fine shooting piece.....
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

gundownunder wrote:Too late anyway.

The pic Bruce posted went up on usedguns.com.au this morning and sold this afternoon for AU$1500

I thought the trapdoor was a simple design but the prices don't seem to reflect this.
These prices were gleaned from US sites and you can bet will go up by between 50% and 100% by the time they get to OZ.
The Uberti trapdoor is advertised for between $1429 and $1669
EMF have one advertised for $1250
A Pedersoli on Gunbroker had a buy it now price of $1200
New Pedersolis are listed between $1265 and $1695
gundownunder,

Forbes Wholesale P/L, Sydney list the Pedersoli Officer's Model (S910) at AU$2250.
http://www.forbesws.com.au/Pricelists/BPF.htm

Cherry's in the US have the same gun at US$1735
http://www.cherrys.com/ped_cart.htm
Last edited by Bruce Scott on Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Have any H&R Trapdoor owners here run into this problem?

"They are beautiful rifles made of modern materials, but are actually not as safe as the originals. The fault is in how the locking cam is attached to the thumb piece. On the H&R the shaft of the cam where it connects to the thumb piece is round and held in place by a set screw. The original is a square shaft fit into a square hole. It has been reported that the set screw on the H&Rs can loosen and allow the shaft to rotate slightly and lose it's "timing". If it's off far enough, the breech block won't lock down. If it's off slightly, the breech block will stay down but won't be locked securely. When the hammer is dropped on a live round in this condition the breech block will fly open, sometimes with catastrophic results. Hammers have broken and breech blocks became UFOs. Some people who shoot them regularly drill and pin the thumb latch to the locking cam shaft to eliminate this possibility. Others have fitted original Trapdoor parts to their H&Rs. If you're going to shoot them, be aware of this."
From http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=43839
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I don't have an H&R...Wanted one like you're after tho.. I've seen the latch topic a few places off and on in the last couple of years..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Ben_Rumson wrote:I don't have an H&R...Wanted one like you're after tho.. I've seen the latch topic a few places off and on in the last couple of years..
Ben,
I scratched around a bit more on this issue and it appears to be a fairly simple fix - http://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/2 ... doors.html
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Thanks!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY