One ragged hole rear sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

One ragged hole rear sight

Post by gamekeeper »

My eye sight ain't what is was and I thought I might try a "oneraggedhole" rear sight on my 9422. I don't wish to d&t the receiver or put the carrying handle it came with back on! Has any one tried this sight and is it any good? it seems simple to install but I don't know if an aperture works that far from the eye? :?
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Make one out of a black piece of paper and try it first.
Backwoods
Levergunner

Post by Backwoods »

I really like them. I have one on my .38-55 and I just put one on my .30-30 Trapper.

Dave
"We do not go to the verdant green woods and crystal clear waters to rough it...we go to smooth it. We get things rough enough at home! - George Washington Sears- a.k.a- NESSMUK
BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba »

It's a real small hole that's pretty far away. It's ok, but maybe not for hunting. I have one on my 9422mag, but next time, I'll get the Williams that goes on the dovetail and don't need D&Ting.
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

DEMOCRATS: PORK OVER PATRIOTISM
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Blaine,
The Williams FP-GR is right one to use if you have a grooved reciever. If you get the "-TK" (target knob) model it will make adjustments a whole lot easier, but it will look bulkier.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I think they're the current "Pet Rock" of the shooting world.

1. They don't increase sight radius. Strike 1.

2. They actually obscure more of the sight picture than regular open sights. (Wow!) Strike 2.

Two strikes and you're out, in this case.

To enjoy the true benefits of an aperture sight system, the rear sight needs to be so close to the eye that it doesn't try to focus on it, hence allowing the front sight to be concentrated on.

ORH sights are a non-starter for me. YMMV.

scott
DavidS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DavidS »

I have the One Ragged Hole sight on my 9422 mag. and my 9422 LR. For me they work very well. It still works like a tang or receiver sight,just put the bead on your target and your eye will center in the hole. Some people may have problems with this sight,but for me it tightened the groups up by a noticable amount.
David S
Mojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mojo »

I now own six of them so yeah, I guess you could say that I like them a lot. I have them on a Winchester, four Marlins and a Ruger pistol. I have other peep type sights on other rifles but for fast target acquisition on a target under 100 yards the ORH is an excellent choice. If you want to reach out any further you may want to consider other options. This is a hunting sight, not a target sight. However, while just playing around last summer I was able to consistently hit a hub cap that lasered 180 yards.

To make a good design even better, paint the front bead white and paint a thin white line across the rear surface of the sight bisecting the aperture with pearl white fingernail polish. I have now officially lost count at how many hogs have fallen prey to this set-up on my 1895GS.

I just wish that the sight could have been made to fold down but I'm sure that this wasn't considered due to the high cost associated with machining the required feature. One of these days I may do a little experimenting with a hand file and see what I can come up with.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

cas, Thanks for the tip.
They seem expensive for what they are but I may try one just out of curiosity.

If I can get a Williams WGRS guide receiver sight I'll try that too!

I know if my eye sight fades any more I will just have to put the "carrying handle" back on!!
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.