A New Convert to Leverguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

A New Convert to Leverguns

Post by 66GTO »

A buddy and I went to the range today. We took a couple of pistols each, .a 22 semi-auto rifle each, his Winchester 94 and my Marlin 1894C.

Only one other person was there when we arrived, a young guy shooting a scoped .270 Mossberg. He came over to say hello while we were setting up and was curious about our leverguns. He was a Navy flight student at the local Navy base and said he had just taken up shooting.. He didn't shoot as kid and only recently began to make enough money to buy is first rifle.

He was curious about shooting pistol ammo from a rifle and I don't think he had ever seen a levergun. He checked out the ammo and the Marlin and I told him to try it out. After the first round he wasn't quite sure how to cycle the action, but when he did, he looked at me, smiled and said "Nice". He shot several more rounds and wanted to know where I bought it, how much it cost, how much was the ammo, etc.

He was a very nice young man and new to shooting. Bet you a dollar to a donut that his next rifle will be a lever action. :wink:
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Good job, another one hooked :D
Ricky

DWWC
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Good show!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

You are doing the Lord's work, my friend...

Good job!
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Sounds good. I like to see people getting into new things. :D

Someone needs to convert me. I still haven't bought one for myself yet. :shock:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Good deal! :D
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Andrew wrote:Sounds good. I like to see people getting into new things. :D

Someone needs to convert me. I still haven't bought one for myself yet. :shock:
Of course you haven't bought one. It's obvious from your picture that you're too young! Betcha Daddy will buy you one if you ask... :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
miestro_jerry
Levergunner

Post by miestro_jerry »

It took me about 10 seconds to realize that alever gun was the way to go. Now I am looking for a Savage 99 in 308.

Can get enough of them.

Jerry
Always lookin' to learn
Always ready to teach

NRA Patron Member
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

When I was going to get my first gun, I wanted a bolt gun because I had fond memories of shooting a youth sized single shot bolt in Boy Scouts.

But when I started looking into it, I changed my mind. Glad I did, I'm left handed, I don't think I could get used to the bolt on the wrong side like that. Didn't bother me as a kid but sure felt awkward holding a buddy's 30-06.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The Gun Club I belonged to was a great place to be offered a chance to fire guns that belonged to other shooters. I have met folks who had not shot Cap&Ball so I would load one up for them only to be given a semi auto (before the ban) and a couple of magazines to try.

I have also been lucky enough to shoot antique Trap Doors, all types of leverguns,Colts and Sharps Rifles.

It's a good feeling when, next time at the range you see someone with a gun that you introduced them to! :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

miestro_jerry wrote:It took me about 10 seconds to realize that alever gun was the way to go. Now I am looking for a Savage 99 in 308.

Can get enough of them.

Jerry
Jerry, If I might be so bold..... I'd also recommend you include the .300 Savage round when you search. I had wanted a model 99 in .308 myself, but found them to be VERY dear to those who owned them. I did finally buy 2 different 99s in .300 Savage as they are much more numerous and thus, less pricey. My opinion is that at the ranges normally associated with the model 99, the .308 caliber and .300 Savage, no deer I've shot was ever the wiser...lol. Just a thought.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

sobenk wrote:When I was going to get my first gun, I wanted a bolt gun because I had fond memories of shooting a youth sized single shot bolt in Boy Scouts.

But when I started looking into it, I changed my mind. Glad I did, I'm left handed, I don't think I could get used to the bolt on the wrong side like that. Didn't bother me as a kid but sure felt awkward holding a buddy's 30-06.
The young man that shot my Marlin shot from the left side,now that you mention it.