Maine - Mod71 Alaska - Where??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Maine - Mod71 Alaska - Where??

Post by Old Savage »

Almost guarantee that Mod71 will know where these were taken 1989 Sept

Bigger hints

My wife addressing her first whole lobster

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Maine - Mod71 Alaska - Where??

Post by Mainehunter »

If you don't mind I'll take a stab at it! Cadillac Mtn. overlooking Bar Harbor, Right?

Mainehunter :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Maine Hunter - you got it. That is exactly where it is - what a great place. We had a fine time there. Have you been to that hotel lately - has it changed? I have recommended to many people that they go there.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

OS, I see you were hanging with good looking women on each arm back in 1989 just like now!!! :lol:

Mainehunter nailed it...that pic is from Cadillac Mnt. Good shot of our "Big Country" here in Maine, OS. You pretty much have to be up high or out on the salt water for a panoramic pic like that. Otherwise, you're in the woods! Another world from those great scenic photos you've been posting, OS! I'm drawn to your Big Country out West, and if it weren't for the Big Ocean I'm sure I'd be living out West in MT or WY.

I'm not familiar with the coastal inn in your photo. Looks like a lovely place to stay, though. Do you remember the name?

OK, OS... Where is this in Maine?

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I believe it is the Bar Harbor Inn. I will get some more pics looking out from it. Here it is http://maps.google.com/maps/place?um=1& ... CCgQsQswAA

Digger
Levergunner

Post by Digger »

I married my lovely wife in Bar Harbor almost 10 years ago. Beautiful country and Mt. Desert Island was one of our favorite hiking spots. Although Baxter State Park is tough to beat.

Mod71 Alaska - I am going to guess that is a shot of Camden, but its really a stab in the dark. If I had another 10 guesses...I'd probably pick another 10 pictureque Maine harbor towns and still not get it.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Digger wrote:I married my lovely wife in Bar Harbor almost 10 years ago. Beautiful country and Mt. Desert Island was one of our favorite hiking spots. Although Baxter State Park is tough to beat.

Mod71 Alaska - I am going to guess that is a shot of Camden, but its really a stab in the dark. If I had another 10 guesses...I'd probably pick another 10 pictureque Maine harbor towns and still not get it.
Digger, are you a Mainer or a visitor? Congratulations on 10 years with your bride!

OS, you're too slow on the trigger! Digger, is right. That photo is overlooking Camden, one of the most picturesque historic coastal villages and harbors in Maine. For anyone visiting Maine, stopping in Camden and sailing on one of the old wooden Penobscot Bay Schooners will be a highlight of your trip!
Digger
Levergunner

Post by Digger »

Well, I wasn't born there, so (as I was told numerous times) I could never be a Mainer. But, I did live in Bangor and Orono between 1997 and 2001, while I did my graduate work at UMaine. I wish we never had to leave and we often speak of returning.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I was born here and never lived anywhere else. Until I see pictures like this it's easy to take for granted. It's changed a lot in the last 20 years but is still nice country.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Beautiful pictures.
Old Law Dawg
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

When I was there we discussed those who were residents or "From Away". I asked if a couple from way had a baby in Maine would that child be a resident or from away. The reply was "If a cat had kittens in an oven you wouldn't call them biscuits now would ya?"

Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

"When I was there we discussed those who were residents or 'From Away'...
Well, the local fellow from Bath Maine, a 20th Maine Historian and Civil War reenactor who was the "Maine Dialect" coach for the Jeff Bridges and the other actors in Gettysburg once told me his family had lived in Bath for 3 generations -- so that made him a native.

By that standard, my great-great-great grandchildren may have a chance at "Maine native" status.

As for me, I was born a Mass-whole *, which just goes to prove you can't pick where you were born... :wink:

Old No7

*No offense intended to forum members from the "Sheeple's Republik of" 2 states south of us... -- but I can say that cause I was born one...
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I think the local group we were with said we could qualify as Mainiacs when we were with them.

Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

"...the local group we were with said we could qualify as Mainiacs..."
Yes, OS, I'm quite sure you would qualify! :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I really enjoyed those old pics of Pat you O.S.! She sure is a fine lady. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel