Question about possible rebarrel of Marlin 336 in .30/30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Question about possible rebarrel of Marlin 336 in .30/30

Post by Mac in Mo »

If I was to need to rebarrel my Marlin 336, what would be a ball park figure for cost. I've searched around a little and don't see any barrels available online. The rifle was made in 1960 with the micro groove and I would love to go to standard(Ballard ?) rifling if I did this.
I can't get jacketed bullets to stabilize for some reason. Have not tried cast.
I would have to send it somewhere, we have no gunsmiths that I am aware of in my area, which is St Louis. I am assuming the factory is not an option right now.

Thanks, Kevin
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Question about possible rebarrel of Marlin 336 in .30/30

Post by Pop Watts »

Hi Kevin,
Have you tried a few different projectiles?
I had a 336 of about the same vintage that would key hole Winchester 150gn hollow points, but shot Federal and PMC 150 gn soft points just fine.
It will be cheaper to do some more experimenting before you go down the road of a new barrel.
POP
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Yep, let's hear the specifics of your problem. It is unusual. ALL the details.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Dont think Ballards really an option unless you find a pre microgroove barrel. I believe that would be 55 or earlier. Also a new production barrel may not work with your current tube, band set up.
Is the front sight on a ramp? If its not a new barrel will have a ramp with the band behind it meaning you'll also need a new tube & band/screw. You could work around that stuff but its trickier than it sounds.
Could be many things causing your troubles. Hows the crown look?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I would try one of the barrel re-line guys first.
Just cost you a phone call.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I am baffled by this. I discovered this last year, about this time. I thought it was my handloads, which shoot tiny groups out of the Handi-Rifle by the way. This past weekend I had it out again and dug out some factory loads. Federal 170's, same thing, keyhole. What really has me baffled is two of the bullets appeared to group in one slightly elongated hole. The third went through perfectly sideways. Range was 75 yards. I examined the apparent two good shots in detail and am convinced they were flying true, just very closely grouped.
I really don't want to re barrel. I am going to order up some cast bullets and see if there is any difference is performance.
Also, several years ago I had loaded up a batch of those Speer 100 grain "Plinkers". They were very accurate. I always thought I could use those for coyotes. Never had the chance to try them.

Kevin
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Something wrong with your bullets there, or muzzle needs to be recrowned. The fact that some bullets shoot well (the light ones) makes me think nothing is wrong with the muzzle. Try loading some 130 grainers and some different 150's
Remington40x
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Remington40x »

I'd get a gunsmith to look at the crown and I'd slug the barrel before I did anything else. See if there's anything physical that might be causing the bullet to leave the muzzle tilted or wobbling.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Check the bore real careful with a tight patch for a loose spot. That failing try GPC for a used 336 barrel they aren.t that much and would be easy to change. I have a couple I got for $30 each.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I forgot to mention, the crown is not damaged in any way. I will try some lighter bullets. The patch will be tried in a few minutes. I've looked at Numrich, they have nothing.

Kevin
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Slug the bore. For a gun that keyholes the bullets you need to eliminate the bore diameter as a cause.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Copper build up will do what you're saying.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Standard troubleshooting.

1- clean to bare bore.
2- slug bore
3- measure bullet OD and compare to barrel internal dimensions
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Thanks. I am going to get to the bottom of this for sure. I just put it away last year and forgot about it. I will post any further findings as I go. Our firearms deer season starts Saturday and I'll be busy with that. I am already worn out from bow season, as usual. When gun season rolls around it is a nice break, a lot more leisurely for some reason, at least to me.

Thanks, Kevin