Totally OT: Donuts for Veterans Day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Totally OT: Donuts for Veterans Day

Post by jnyork »

I got this in an email from a guy I flew with in Vietnam, it was sent to him by someone else. It is a very touching story written by the wife of Orson Swindle, a USMC pilot who spent several years in the Hanoi Hilton. I thought some of you might like it. I am on a diet but I intend to have a donut tomorrow. :)

"Tomorrow is Veterans Day. Today is the Marine Corps' Anniversary.....

As some of you know, my husband was a Prisoner of War in Hanoi for 6 years and 4 months. Ironically his shoot down date is Veteran's Day, November 11, 1966. So this is a big week for him.

In September 1969, after he had been there three very hard years (the early years were by far the worst) Ho Chi Minh died. Orson was at Son Tay with about 55 other men. One day in October he was called in for an interrogation... which he said was more of an "English lesson" for the interrogator as opposed to one of the beatings they received when Ho chi Minh was calling the shots. The interrogator began by bragging about his country and its 4,000 year history and belittling the USA... saying, "Your country is very young, it doesn't even have very many heroes or holidays." Knowing that the Marine Corps birthday was coming up on November the 10, Orson began to spin a story.......

He pretended to take umbrage, saying... "No, no, no.... you are quite wrong... we have many holidays in our country, as a matter of fact, one is coming up very soon. There will be festivals and children will dress up in costumes and its very important to us." The interrogator became interested so Orson proceeded that it was called, "National Donut Day"...

Before you can really appreciate this you need a bit of background. Before Ho Chi Minh's death, the prisoners were practically starved to death. They were eating nothing but rice and swamp grass soup (as they call it) and sometimes pumpkin soup. Orson says they estimated that he went down to a little as 120 pounds... and now he weighs at least 225. At shoot down he was something like 195 and 6'2". So this is unbelievably thin. The men were hungry all the time. Very hungry. About twice a year they would get what they considered an incredible treat... it was nothing more than old French bread.. that had become hard and moldy, but the cooks would deep fry it and roll it in sugar and the prisoners called the result "sticky buns" and to them it was mana from heaven....

So when explaining National Donut Day, Orson told his interrogator that "Donuts are a lot like your sticky buns... they are sweet bread, and on National Donut Day everyone has one.... or more of them." Not sure what the outcome might be, Orson was sent back to his cell, where he immediately started tapping through the wall to all the other POWs saying..."Hey guys, you gotta back me up. I just invented a new holiday and if they find out I was pulling their leg, there will be hell to pay -- tell all the guards that National Donut Day is on November 10 -- don't let me down! Pass it on!" A few weeks went by, and to everyone's great surprise, on November 10 the prisoners at Son Tay prison --- known for being one of the worst ---and also for the failed rescue attempt -- were served sticky buns and -- Orson was the hero of the day!

Orson had forgotten all about this story, and I had never heard it, but in March 2003, a fellow POW, Bob Stirm, an Air Force Col was interviewed in a San Francisco paper (article is attached below) and in it he described the origin of National Donut Day.

Re: Totally OT: Donuts for Veterans Day

Post by kimwcook »

I'm not going to make it to our annual local Marine Corps birthday party, but I'll have a donut.
Old Law Dawg
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

AMEN ON THE DONUT!! At lest one. Thank you.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I am going to make a point of having one.thank you.
pete
DAV life member.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I'm a cop. Are you kidding? I'll have two. :lol:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sounds like a plan!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

From now on whenever I have a donut it will be in honor of Orson Swindle and I'll tell everyone else that will listen.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Donuts (Doughnuts?) it is then!

[burp...]

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Rusty wrote:From now on whenever I have a donut it will be in honor of Orson Swindle and I'll tell everyone else that will listen.
+ 1
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Orson SWINDLE? How appropriate! Of course I was disbelieving until I read...

http://blog.usni.org/2009/11/10/today-i ... pow-story/

http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=25312
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Argh! No donuts in the house this morning. Going to run out today and buy four of them, and plop them on my family's plates at dinner time. This just became a new tradition for 10 November every year!!! :D
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

After reading this story I just had to have a donut or two so i went to a local store which makes them fresh. They were just putting them out and I said, "Just what I was looking for". The woman who makes them looked at me kinda funny and in an inquiring manner. So I told her that it was National Donut Day, and relayed the story to her. She got all excited and put the word out to the other women in the bakery and said it sounded like a good idea. Thanks for information. Who knows maybe it will catch on. Have a great day.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

ImageImage
DAV life member.