OT Dog question?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

OT Dog question?

Post by TedH »

We've got a Mini Dachshund that is 7 years old. The last couple weeks he acts like he is ALWAYS hungry. He gets fed his usual amount in the morning and again in the evening, but lately he gets so excited if he even thinks you are messing with food. I gave him double his normal amount of food tonight, and he's still looking at me like I'm starving him! I wondered if it's just the time of year, and the wild dog in him is trying to pack on some pounds for winter? I don't remember him ever doing this in past this time of year.
NRA Life Member
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Dog question?

Post by Mescalero »

My lab does that, but he is only a year old; figure he doess not know better.
Need to ask 2ndovc if this is normal.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Our mini-D is 5 years old, and has always acted like she was hungry. You'd think we never feed her!
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

We have 2 mini-Dach's,6 years old. Male and female from the same litter.They are always hungery.They would eat themselves into oblivion if given the chance.Nothing unusual here.
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

That is what I am afraid of.
That he will kill himself if I let him.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

I have Mini Dachshund that is 11 years old.....she has acted that way since day 1. Very normal. Don't overfeed them as they develop back problems with weight gain. Mine weighs 8.3 lbs.

Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Check em out for intestinal parasites and worm em regularly. Some dogs are just naturally greedy though.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

He would always over eat if you let him, but he just seems a lot worse lately. Guess it's not unusual.
NRA Life Member
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I think they all do it....
and they are always hungry it seems...
we leave food in there bowls all day and they get fed a can of
soft food at night when we eat dinner...

and right after they are done...they will stroll over
to where we are eating dinner..
and give us that look.....feed me!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Dachies tend to be piglets, but there are other things that can be significant. Diabetes is not at all uncommon in dogs and while the dox are not that prone to this disease it can occur. Water intake and urination are closely related also. Best advice is to have him checked out thoroughly or at least have a urinalysis run if not a complete blood panel. May get pricey but prevention of sequels is cheaper than trying to correct damage, such as vision; cataracts. Hope its only DGG-dachshund greedy gut!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

rogn wrote:Dachies tend to be piglets, but there are other things that can be significant. Diabetes is not at all uncommon in dogs and while the dox are not that prone to this disease it can occur. Water intake and urination are closely related also. Best advice is to have him checked out thoroughly or at least have a urinalysis run if not a complete blood panel. May get pricey but prevention of sequels is cheaper than trying to correct damage, such as vision; cataracts. Hope its only DGG-dachshund greedy gut!

My thinking too. Especially if he hasn't been to the vet in a while. Our dogs go twice a year and I'm convinced that is why my dogs have been having such long healthy lives.

Our little Jack Russell and my Boxer mix both carry on like they haven't been feed in days. The Dane, though she does eat a lot, doesn't get real excited at dinner time and sometimes doesn't even want to eat.
My lab was the same way until we got a second dog and she learned very quickly to finish her food. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"