Question for you Jeep guys

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Question for you Jeep guys

Post by Streetstar »

Looking into buying a hardtop Jeep YJ ('93 square headlight model) -- Straight six engine -- 100k miles

The seller is completely upfront about a transmission issue ( pops out of fifth) -- I had an F-150 that used to pop out of fifth -- i drove it as a 4 speed for 3 years before Reverse finally went, then 2nd started acting funny.

The Ford transmission lasted for years as a 4 speed. Was curious if Jeep transmissions had this level of toughness, and if not, whats a reasonable price for a rebuilt 5 speed for one of these things? (not counting clutch)- as i would use this in negotiating with the seller a little bit more possibly

Normally wouldnt seriously consider a vehicle with "issues" , but it has a 6 cylinder and hardtop for less cash than others are listing 4-bangers with bikini tops -- so i thought a little bit of extra hassle might be worth it in the long run
----- Doug
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Question for you Jeep guys

Post by willygene »

they are tough but there are too many out there without trans problems to buy one with . i would look a little further.
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

I've got just shy of 190,000 miles on my 1989 Cherokee I6 and it did a spectacular job in last winters heavy snows. There are a lot of Jeeps out there. Keep looking around for a while yet before you buy this one.
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Yup on the rebuilt tranny. KNOW what that costs, and negotiate accordingly. The tranny issue puts the seller at a disadvantage. It ain't like folks will be killing each other to buy it, and you should ONLY buy if the $$ are right.
Certified gun nut
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by H_Talon »

the 5th gear is your over drive, should be about .75 or .79 x 1 .. that is what
allows you to cruse the hwy at a reasonable RPM.

that's a good deal even if you replace the trans with a re-build ..

oh .. without the 5th gear your MPG goes UP UP UP ..

Talon
Rifleman336
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman336 »

I had a 1993 Jeep Wrangler and it's tranny died on me at 60,000 miles. It had a VX-4 transmission if I remember right. It's made in France by Pugot.

It cost me $2800 to effect a overhaul. That transmission had been a source of heartache for Jeep and they only had it for a few years. So if you decide to buy it, figure a transmission repair or a replacement with a better transmission from a later mode Jeep. Other than that I miss my Jeep from time to time.

Rifleman 336
Never bite off more than you can chew.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I quit trying to buy an " $8000 Jeep for $3000 " :lol:

I couldnt resist though and drove home an '01 TJ Sport with a 6 banger and a 5 speed.

Will post a pic to close out the thread when i get some new doors on it --- some scofflaw absconded with the hard doors 2 nights previously (my final purchase price reflected this, but i just have some mismatched loaner doors on it for now)

EDIT -- found one of the seller's photos -- but now it has green doors on it :D - reminiscent of a Green Bay Packers fan or something

I fully realize that in some areas, bone stock Jeeps are as common as belly buttons, but i figured it was time to see what the fuss was all about anyway. I wonder if anyone will be able to see me coming with that subtle color scheme though ?

Last edited by Streetstar on Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----- Doug
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

We just bought out the lease on our '07 Unlimited.
I love that Jeep. Can't wait until Blondie gets tired of it and it's mine!!

My First set of wheels was a '79 CJ7 that I drove into the ground.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

I put 230K on my 1991 Wrangler. Biggest problem I had with it was the hydrualic throughout bearing. Mine died at 3000 miles and the dealer replaced it had several more die over the life of the vehicle. Got to where I could R&R the tranny and transfer case in about four hours. Put some tall tires on it and forget 5th gear. If you do pull the tranny I would put a new throughout bearing in while you had it out.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

As you have painfully learned, Jeep doors are pretty easy to steal. There are "locks" that can be attached to prevent or at least make more difficult theft.

As to the TJ vs the YY, you made a good choice. As an old CJ guy, I can tell you that the coil spring suspension (I'm gonna catch it for saying this) is superior to the old leaf spring suspension. One thing though, an auto tranny is better in the rough stuff than a stick. The auto tranny allows much smoother application of power which lets you ease up over and down objects with less stress on the entire vehicle, not to mention the passengers.

There is, sadly, one thing that the TJ does have over the YJ's and CJ's. It's much easier to find aftermarket parts. Some of the coolest add ons aren't being made for older jeeps these days. CJ's are becoming few and far between, and the YJ's weren't really made all that long. Still, if one wants a Jeep the can work on from the tires up, CJ's are better.

Here's just one example. Fuel pump fails. With a TJ, you "must" have a spare. And, you must remove the gas tank to get to it. Try that with a even a half full tank, and the new tanks have these fancy antisiphon filler necks. With the old CJ, if you have a spare, a couple of wrenches and about ten minutes and your new pump is on and you're off. Without a spare, just hook up a plastic container full of gas to the windshield with duct tape, and run a piece of fuel hose to the carb. Dripple the gas into the carb and away you go.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad