1873 Winchester buttplate

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

1873 Winchester buttplate

Post by coyote nose »

Anybody know who sells/makes repro buttplate for the 1873 Winchester? I am looking for the ones with the long top tang. All the repros I see have the short top tang. I dont care if it has the hole for the cleaning rod or not... want to put this on a parts gun 1873 38 WCF I have that is the best shooting 1873 I have ever shot. Dont want to pay the ridiculous prices the original buttplates go for online, especially since it is for a non collector grade gun (parts gun plus the tang has been bubba'd for a tang sight plus the barrel has been cut down). All parts are original, just from several different guns. It has an original on it now, but it doesnt fit good and I need this original for another 1873 I have that it fits good onImage
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 1873 Winchester buttplate

Post by KCSO »

Try Track of the Wolf, I seem to remember adapting one of their Hawken butt plates for the 73 one time. The catalog has full size pictures so you can match up pretty good. Otherwise go to Cimarron Fiirearms and order a Uberti.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

The Uberti is a short tang buttplate isnt it?
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

http://www.gun-parts.com/winchesterrifle/. Look far down the page on the left hand column. There is a picture with 11 different buttplates. I think you need a # 3.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are