94 rear sight identification

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Buster95
Levergunner 1.0

94 rear sight identification

Post by Buster95 »

Can you help me identify the rear sight in the pic below, this sight is mounted on a 94 cal.38-55 made in 1907.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: 94 rear sight identification

Post by claybob86 »

The sight looks a lot like what USRAC was putting on the Ranger version of the 94 in the early 1990s, but the elevator doesn't look familiar.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

That's a rear sight off a 22 of some sort, it is not what shold be on the 94 Rifle.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

It probably is a Savage .22 sight.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

It looks like the stamped sheet metal sights they put on factory Marlins for years. It's easy enough to change to a good Winchester sight. Decent proper period Winchester sights, or good quality period aftermarket sights, as could have been factory installed on your gun, aren't too hard to come by.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Buster95
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Buster95 »

Thanks for the replies guys.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Buster95 wrote:Can you help me identify the rear sight in the pic below, this sight is mounted on a 94 cal.38-55 made in 1907.

I have to admit, it sure looks like the rear sights I removed from my Buffalo Bill Commemorative Winchester 94 as well as my Canadian Centennial 1867-1967 Commemorative SRC 94 (both 30-30) when I installed the Williams FP 94-36 aperture sights.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Buster95
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Buster95 »

Malamute wrote:It looks like the stamped sheet metal sights they put on factory Marlins for years. It's easy enough to change to a good Winchester sight. Decent proper period Winchester sights, or good quality period aftermarket sights, as could have been factory installed on your gun, aren't too hard to come by.
Where I can find one?
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I checked my 94 book and that is not a a factory sight for a M94 Winchester. It is not a C/C Winchester sight as I have one of those in the drawer in front of me. I do have several identical to that sight and they all came off of 22's and Savage may be right.
Buster95
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Buster95 »

KCSO wrote:I checked my 94 book and that is not a a factory sight for a M94 Winchester. It is not a C/C Winchester sight as I have one of those in the drawer in front of me. I do have several identical to that sight and they all came off of 22's and Savage may be right.
This book?

pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Buster95 wrote:
KCSO wrote:I checked my 94 book and that is not a a factory sight for a M94 Winchester. It is not a C/C Winchester sight as I have one of those in the drawer in front of me. I do have several identical to that sight and they all came off of 22's and Savage may be right.
This book?

there are a couple dedicated just to sights,,,,but rennerberg's book is a great source for '94 info.

like this one,

http://www.amazon.com/Sight-Book-Winche ... 643&sr=1-7
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I have to offer a differing opinion. Glad books were mentioned - as we all know, walking through doors adversely affects memory (Hereafter syndrome - "now I'm in my office but, what am I hereafter?").

At any rate, I looked it up in my North Cape Publications For Collectors Only Vol 3 (for Winchester 94 & 95) and on page 103 for rear sights - fig 6-77 - "The standard rear sight for the M1894 rifle was the semi-buckhorn rear sight which Winchester designated the "Series 24 Sporting Rifle Rear Sight" - Four variations of this sight were installed It further states that sight was installed for many thousands but, by circa serial #850,000, the serrated semi-buckhorn sight had disappeared - (that serial number puts the year of manufacture as 1919 when the semi-buckhorn sight was discontinued.)

The sight in fig 6-77 sure looks like the OP picture.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Buster95
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Buster95 »

OJ wrote:At any rate, I looked it up in my North Cape Publications For Collectors Only Vol 3 (for Winchester 94 & 95) and on page 103 for rear sights - fig 6-77 - "The standard rear sight for the M1894 rifle was the semi-buckhorn rear sight which Winchester designated the "Series 24 Sporting Rifle Rear Sight" - Four variations of this sight were installed It further states that sight was installed for many thousands but, by circa serial #850,000, the serrated semi-buckhorn sight had disappeared - (that serial number puts the year of manufacture as 1919 when the semi-buckhorn sight was discontinued.)

Can you make some scans of this page (page 103 fig 6-77)?
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Buster95 wrote:
OJ wrote:At any rate, I looked it up in my North Cape Publications For Collectors Only Vol 3 (for Winchester 94 & 95) and on page 103 for rear sights - fig 6-77 - "The standard rear sight for the M1894 rifle was the semi-buckhorn rear sight which Winchester designated the "Series 24 Sporting Rifle Rear Sight" - Four variations of this sight were installed It further states that sight was installed for many thousands but, by circa serial #850,000, the serrated semi-buckhorn sight had disappeared - (that serial number puts the year of manufacture as 1919 when the semi-buckhorn sight was discontinued.)

Can you make some scans of this page (page 103 fig 6-77)?
Certainly -

I think, for anybody interested in Winchester lever guns, that three book series by Arthur Pirkle "WINCHESTER LEVER ACTION REPEATING FIREARMS" - For Collectors Only - can't be beat - all parts down to the smallest screws are described in detail.

Since the rifle shown in the original post was made in 1907, that is the rear sight one would expect as original equipment from Winchester.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Buster95
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Buster95 »

The sight pictured in fig 6-77 is milled? It's hard to see in the scan.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Its generic junk (nothing personal :D ) that is put on low priced guns. The previous owner probably needed a sight to put on it.-------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Sixgun wrote:Its generic junk (nothing personal :D ) that is put on low priced guns. The previous owner probably needed a sight to put on it.-------Sixgun

I agree that they are junk, but as Malamute indicated earlier, it looks alot like the rear sight that was on the 1953 336SC that I inherited from my Dad.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Buster95 wrote:The sight pictured in fig 6-77 is milled? It's hard to see in the scan.
You guys are hard to convince - even when I provided the reliable reference - hey, we're not talking religion here and trying to convert anyone to our own one. I did as asked (in retrospect, I should have done that in the first place) and all I get is vague doubts expressed.

As I said initially, it is the same sight that came on my Winchester Commemoratives made in 1967 & 1968 - Winchester put a lot of their old stuff on Commemoratives such as octagonal barrels, saddle rings, and sights -

I scanned it as asked - you're welcome - if you want to enlarge the scan to see it better, hold Ctrl button down and roll the ball on your mouse -
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

OJ, the picture doesnt show the detail of the sight well, but it's a flat topped sight, stamped from sheet metal with a stamped sheet metal elevator. A side shot would show it better. I recognized it because I have an identical sight on a Marlin 336 from the 60's. The sight in the book is milled from stock, and has a semi-buckhorn shape and thicker elevator, with a wider thumb tab. I've seen hundreds of the old Winchester sights over time, they are much better made sights than the one in the OP.

Buster, I may have a spare sight for a 94, either post 64 with the 2 screw adjustable sight piece, or a pre-64 with the adjustable insert inlet into the rear of the body.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Buster95
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Buster95 »

Malamute wrote: Buster, I may have a spare sight for a 94, either post 64 with the 2 screw adjustable sight piece, or a pre-64 with the adjustable insert inlet into the rear of the body.
The problem is I'm in Canada I don't know if sights are on the US Custom exclusion list.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I would seriously doubt it, but see if you can find out. I know barrels are on the list, and maybe some high tech optical or electronic sights or night sights, but I doubt open Winchester sights would be.