About to Ruin the 348W ammo market...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

About to Ruin the 348W ammo market...

Post by mohavesam »

Or maybe not. It's all safe where it is. :wink:

Went to the Mason (MI) gun show a couple weeks ago and ran into a fine gentleman with failing eyesight who spoke Model 71. We ended up having a chat over breakfast last week and he related that he had a "bunch" of that 348 ammo with the Browning 71 on it. For sale. Cheap. Even a blind fool trips over a gold mine every now and then?

I'm not going to post what I paid & swapped (it had four wheels), but suffice it to say more than one milk crate full of the Winchester Browning boxes are now in the ammo safe! I also acquired a (another) Browning High-Grade rifle, a new/still-wrapped barrel and some parts from the Browning run back in the '80s. And a stock set, just because.

Now if I could just find a crate full of the heavy Barnes X-bullets... :D
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: About to Ruin the 348W ammo market...

Post by C. Cash »

Love it when that happens....congrats!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

PICS!!!!!!!!!

We gotta have PICS!!!!!

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Talk about falling into that one. Sounds like you did good.
Old Law Dawg
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

What barrel did you get?

I'm looking for a 24" 348 Browning barrel to screw into my 86 rifle. It will be a 22" full mag, straight grip round barrel rifle in 348 cal with shotgun butt when it's done.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Shortly after reading this I had a fellow calll and ask if I couold find him some 348. I checked Buffalo Arms and $63.00 a box plus shipping. WOW it's been a long time since I got any of that stuff. You done good!
professor_cassidy
Levergunner

Post by professor_cassidy »

I was at Clark Bros. gunshop near Warrenton, Va yesterday. Winchester silver box
348 Win, was $79.95. They had plenty.

Shawn :o
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

The barrel is a 20". I have a project action - Ruger No. 3 that someday will wear it, if I can find the right gunny. Sans barrel band?

I was and am sick when I see factory ammo marked up - even the ancient stuff - to $59, $69, and higher. I had resigned myself to reloading it. Maybe still ?
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

You fell into a good deal, so if you don't want to reload, you don't have to.

I don't mind reloading, and I hate paying factory prices anyway, even on wal-mart price stuff (like $15/box). I've never shot a single round of factory in my 71, or most of my guns for that matter. I was paying $25/50 for brass, and about that for Hornady bullets per 100 when I first got my 71 a couple years ago. I have enough brass and probably bullets to last my lifetime easily. Have a few Barnes 250's loaded up for carry up where the bears live (which is about everywhere any more).

I bought one box of factory ammo for the 348, it was pretty old, perhaps the 40's? I just liked the box. I paid $20 for it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?