“The Fine Line” Am I feeding or baiting?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

“The Fine Line” Am I feeding or baiting?

Post by cshold »

I guess this explains the pile of bird feathers I’ve been finding under the bird feeder. :roll:

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: “The Fine Line” Am I feeding or baiting?

Post by gamekeeper »

I have the same problem. :?
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

you're feeding the hawk.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

The only ones I find are dead :?

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Cooper's Hawk? They are know for lurking over feeding areas. I got a picture just about like this off a neighbor's feeder last year, just to identify the hawk.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I heard a radio interview with a fellow from a raptor rescue center the other day. He made the point that, "When you feed the birds, you are feeding ALL the birds." Your pics are the perfect illustration of what he was saying.
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

You're just feeding "all" the birds! We have a similar situation with my wife's feeder. Redtail hawks come through quite often especially in the winter after the birds. Last winter she had me put our used Christmas tree under the feeder for the birds to perch on. We watched a Redtail for about 5 minutes trying to catch a sparrow. The sparrow stayed in the tree and the hawk kept hopping in after him but couldn't catch him and the hawk finally gave up.
I almost got nailed by the hawk myself. He came across the front of the garage just as I came out from the side and went by my face just inches away. Scared the s**** out of me!
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Might actually be a Sharp-shinned Hawk (close relative of Cooper's Hawk though smaller). Sharpies have tail feathers all about the same length, whereas those of a Cooper's are graduated in length, being longer toward the middle of the tail "fan" than they are at the sides. Hard to tell the size of this bird from the photo alone, but a female SS may almost be as large as a male Cooper's. Females of both types are considerably larger than the males. Sharp-shinned Hawks are also predators of birds.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Hawks and Owls are one thing....now if it was a cat...well, I might have to step in and provide covering fire for the lil'birdies.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It's always fun when there's deep snow, and the accipter swoops in, because the instant before it happens, most of the prey-birds will zoom off the feeder and bury themselves in the snow. First time I saw it took me by surprise, until a second later, the accipter made a strafing run and managed to snatch a laggard chickadee.

Humans are lucky to have most of their lives without moment-by-moment fear of predators striking.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I vote female Merlin.
Slow is just slow.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I love the moments after the predator is sighted and everybody freezes in time. Nobody blinks. It's like the twilight zone. One squirrel we have molds himself to the pole the feeder is on - I'm a pole, I'm a pole, I'm a pole, I'm a pole.......
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Redtails aren't really "birders". Accipiters, like Cooper's and Sharp Shinned only eat birds and are very good at it. Short wings and a long tail let them fly through trees and brush in pursuit of their prey. I have no problem with them, they gotta eat, too.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Feeding or Baiting depends on what U do when They come for Lunch. :wink:
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'd start feeding birds if I could get one of those to hang around! :D
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

Mike D. wrote:Redtails aren't really "birders". Accipiters, like Cooper's and Sharp Shinned only eat birds and are very good at it. Short wings and a long tail let them fly through trees and brush in pursuit of their prey. I have no problem with them, they gotta eat, too.
I was not aware of that but they get a fair amount of birds around my place. I have been amazed at them occasionally getting a sparrow or chickadee out of our barberry hedge. I'm not quite sure how they do it being so big but I 've seen them hop into the hedge and later come out with a bird. I'm always finding piles of feathers around, primarily Dove feathers. Like you said , they've got to eat too.