Hat's off to a gunsmith

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Hat's off to a gunsmith

Post by jdad »

As some of you may remember I purchased an early (1896) Marlin 1893, chambered in 38-55. It had a headspace issue.

I sent the rifle off to John Taylor ( www.johntaylormachine.com) for the repair. He said the HS was a not so safe .027! :shock: . Max is .004. He said turning the barrel down one turn was too expensive since you would also have to shorten the mag tube and forearm. Adding material to the locking lug was not something he felt was safe, but since it was a straight case chambering he had a solution. He soldered in a grommet. :idea: You can barely make out the seam, in the overhead photo. John is pretty "old school". He sends the rifle back, with the invoice attached, then you send payment after inspecting his work. In case you're wondering how much......$50 + return shipping. I've used John for several projects over the years and have never had anything, but perfection at a fair price.

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Hat's off to a gunsmith

Post by KCSO »

He did it exactly right too. I've done a few that way and the gun will last forever for you now.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've never heard a bad word spoke of Mr. Taylor.
NRA Life Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Who'd of thunk it. Not me, but then I'm not a gunsmith. I have nothing but the highest respect for quality craftsman of any pursuit.
Old Law Dawg
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

thank you, that was great work and for an unbeleivably good price. this goes in my remember file!
cable
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

He's certainly not one of the parts-changers, that call themselves gunsmith these days - that's for sure !

Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

I have spent many hours in John's shop, chewing the fat and discussing his work. VERY interesting man! He has done three reline jobs for me, plus several other jobs of various level difficulty. There are at least two other project waiting in the wings for his special touch, and he currently has my 9.3X57 Husqvarna for some sight and safety work. Yeah, I would say John is a peg or two above your basic "Glock Armorer" or "AR15 Builder".... :shock: :lol:
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

what does he charge for a reline job?
cable
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I had him reline a 22 caliber Stevens barrel about 6-8 months ago. IIRC it was $210 and he uses TJ's match grade liners. His reline jobs are, for the most part, invisible.
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

hfcable wrote:what does he charge for a reline job?
Dr. Cable,

In many cases, that depends on what liner he uses. He and I were discussing a reline on a 1st Mocel '73 Winchester and the price he quoted me for the correct five-groove liner was $330, installed and chambered. Give him a call.

Wayne
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Having seen some .303s with bad head space, fixed in much the same way good to find a guy that does good work!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Sure is nice putting a shootin' iron back to work. I wonder how much it was originally used in order to create that much headspace. Funny thing, I have some old rifles that I have shot 6-7,000 rounds out of and they are still tight---and who knows how much before me. Your rifle must have been a real "hunting machine" :D

That looks like real quality work. I have a needed job on an 1886 in 45-90 that needs similar work on that my local 'smith with not do. (slightly bulged chamber----barrel too thin to reline)

I just sent him an e-mail and I'll call him tomorrow.-----------Thanks :D -------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

John said to expect about a minimum 60 day turnaround, for a reline.
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

He smoothbored a muzzleloader for me. He does great work. Doug
a armed man is his own master
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

John did a reline for me on an antique 86. Exc work and I've never hesitated to recommend him.
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Great work. I like it when a gunsmith is really a gunsmith. Some years back, I took a Winchester 92 in 25-20 to Score-Hi in Albuquerque with a bad headspace issue. The guy there bored out the breech face and made a bushing long enough to restore proper headspace. Worked like a champ.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I talked to Mr. Taylor tonight. He's gonna fix up my 1886 just the way I wanted it to be. He is going to reline the chamber, and weld up 2 extra holes on the receiver. I'm sending that baby off on Friday.
Thanks jdad! :D -------------Sixgun

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Sixgun wrote:I talked to Mr. Taylor tonight. He's gonna fix up my 1886 just the way I wanted it to be. He is going to reline the chamber, and weld up 2 extra holes on the receiver. I'm sending that baby off on Friday.
Thanks jdad! :D -------------Sixgun

One day the rifle will just show up, on your doorstep. There will be an envelope attached, to the outside,containing the invoice. It won't be the last time you use him. :wink:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jdad,
You hit it on the nose! :D I e-mailed Mr. Taylor the other day if he has been trying to get ahold of me as I can be tough to reach sometimes. He replied my rifle should be arriving in two days as he already shipped it. I like that "old school" way of doing business. The money order went out yesterday.

I'll have a post in a few days. He's a good guy :D --------------Sixgun

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I just got mine back a few days ago. Here's the link, to my invisible job, if you didn't see it yet.

http://www.levergunscommunity.org/viewt ... =1&t=33702
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

Sixgun, Did Mr Taylor just reline the chamber? Maybe that would be a solution for the rusted out oversized chamber in my '95. I had Jesse re-bore the barrel to .405, and it shoots fine, but I don't think the brass will last long with the bulge it gets on firing.
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

John Taylor is one of a kind! I've had John reline barrels, plus "stretch" barrels that were chopped off for me. He took a nice old Hepburn that I bought with a 22" barrel and returned it to a 30" barrel for me. He also took a neat Rolling Block Sporter in .22 RF that was cut to 20" and returned it to a 30" barrel.
Here's some before and after pictures, both shoot better than new!:

He's also rebarreled a couple guns with new barrels for me. Always gets the contours and shape perfect on old guns, plus the crowns always look correct to the era. He did my other Roller project barrel, and my Hepburn project barrel.

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Guncase wrote:Sixgun, Did Mr Taylor just reline the chamber? Maybe that would be a solution for the rusted out oversized chamber in my '95. I had Jesse re-bore the barrel to .405, and it shoots fine, but I don't think the brass will last long with the bulge it gets on firing.
Guncase,
Yep, He just relined the chamber as it too had a bulge in it. The rest of the barrel was fine and besides, as its an extralightweight, the barrel is too thin to reline. I should be getting it tomorrow and I'll post some pics.

Marlinman,
I like those single shots!----------Sixgun