Difference between 25-35 WCF & 25 Remington

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Difference between 25-35 WCF & 25 Remington

Post by jdad »

I've been collecting old reloading manuals and my curiosity has been piqued. :D OK, maybe too much time on my hands also. :D

Is there really any ballistic difference between the two or is it just a rimless vs a rimmed cartridge? A way for Remington to market a differentiation? Kind of like Stevens marking 22WRF barrels 22-71/2, designating the 7.5 grains of black powder the original 22WRF had so "Winchester" wasn't mentioned.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Difference between 25-35 WCF & 25 Remington

Post by JFE »

While both produce similar ballistics, the cases are very different.

The following site has drawings of both cartridges.

http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The 25 Rem was held to 35K cup because of the model 14 action. A 25 Rem looks like a 30-30 necked down to 25 cal verses the 25-35 which is a very tapered case. I have the water capacities some where I can post them later. I do have a 25 Rem in a model 14 in which the bore is bad. I plan on taking the rim off a 25-35 case and firing it in the 25 Rem to see if I can push out the shoulder without spitting it. If it works them I would like to find a late build 25-35 and have it reamed to 25 Rem . I'd get more case capacity and brass would last longer . It wouldn't be as extreme as the 25-35 AI.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

They use the same loading data.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

All right the 25-Remington was made to deliver just a little better ballistics than the 25-35 and used a pointed bullet. The cases while not identical are close and 25 remington cases can be formed from 30-30 brass with the rim trimmed off and a extractor groove cut in. I made a special cutter for my lathe to do this job and just finished a batch of 25 Remington. Full data can be found in Water's Pet Loads. There were actually two different Remington case designs a pre production and a production design. I would have to dig out my Model 8 book to get the specs.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Here is some pics 25-35 / 25 rem /30-30

I did some water capacity test.

25-35 36.2 gr of water

25 Rem 42.7 gr of water

250 Sav 46.9 gr of water

As you can see the 25 Rem has alot less taper and is more close to the 30-30. I think a 25 Rem reamer would make a great 25-35 Tomcat. Plus all you need is 25 Rem dies. The 25 Rem never reached it's potential because of the guns it was offered in couldn't handle higher pressures.

KSCO your working too hard. 30 Rem brass is available and affordable. Just needs to be run through a 25 Rem sizing die. Use some sizing wax.