OT - the impact of a life

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

OT - the impact of a life

Post by JimT »

I received word that a man I knew some 40-plus years ago has passed out of this world. I only met him one time, and that just for an evening, but he impacted my life even to this day.

There are very few such occasions in a persons life and they are worth noting. I have never forgotten him, especially at the Christmas Season. Now, coming into the Christmas Season, he is gone and his family is sorrowing. And I too! For though I did not know him well, he and his family added something to my life that has lasted these decades and I am forever grateful.

How thankful I am that we were able to contact each other after that long passage of time! I pray it brought some joy to his life. And I pray that Papa God somehow bring comfort to the hearts of the family .. that this time of grief will be tempered by beautiful memories.

Many years ago St. Francis of Assisi wrote: "Remember that when you leave this earth, you can take with you nothing that have received--only what you have given." John Chovan took a large bundle with him.

(for those that have not read it, the story of our meeting is posted on Leverguns.Com at http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylo ... as1966.htm)
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: OT - the impact of a life

Post by gamekeeper »

Jim,
That's a great Christmas story, you were very fortunate to be in the right place at the right time to meet Mr John Chovan that night.

May he rest in well deserved peace, prayers said for his family.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Jim,

Clearly he impacted your life. His sense of giving, born out of the understanding of the Grace of God in his life, was a natural love offering back to God through his selfless love for others. Now, some 44 Christmas's later, your selfless giving of self is manifested in your actions daily. This love response generated out of what God gives to us is being multiplied as only the Holy Spirit can in places like Mozambique. I am sorry for the loss of your friend. His eternal legacy lives in the lives that he has impacted all around the world. His inheritence as a child of God is realized this day fully. In this advent season, may the longing and hope of the eternal promises of God, bring peace to his family, friends and loved ones where ever they may be. Blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Every time I read that story I am immediately transported back to Seoul 1975-1981. The Embassy Compound was still in use and the houses are indeed just like back home. The USO was still in use (and about the only place to go if you wanted to make an actual phone call home but it was still big bucks). Itaewon was still pretty much wide open in 1981 but not nearly so much as in 1975 and I heard stories about how tame things were compared to 10 years earlier.
NamSanDec78.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Jim,
I know how you felt. I was in Korea at Kunsan AFB in 1968/69.Not exactly the garden spot of the world.You are correct,it was COLD in the winter an HOT in the summer.I met alot of fine people that year,always to be remembered.
Excellent and heart warming story. Thanks for sharing !!!!!!!!!!!
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

"So send not to ask for whome the bell tolls, It tolls for thee."

That he toched your like made his life woth while, would that I could be remembered like that.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

No doubt that people such as the Chovans touch many lives in positive ways during their lives and are mourned by many. God bless them and people like them all over the world. Merry Christmas Jim and the Mrs.

Kevin
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Not a Vet. of the war, but was stationed at Camp Greaves in 1988. We were the post you passed just after crossing Freedom Bridge over the Imjin river and going up the hill where the road curved to the left. You couldn't go to see Panmunjom without going by our post. I spent some time looking at North Korea during the night from Guardposts Collier and Oullette and was on M.A.C.E patrol a few times. Scary Finger and Dolphin's Head became familiar landmarks. I didn't meet anyone over there who impacted my live the way you did Jim.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I can remember reading the story last year at this time. Sorry to hear that he has passed, but glad you two did meet!