MARLIN 39A

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
LEROY
Levergunner

MARLIN 39A

Post by LEROY »

I have A marlin 39A sn# 3566 would like to know what year it was manufactured.

LEROY
Baja_Traveler
Levergunner

Re: MARLIN 39A

Post by Baja_Traveler »

The early Marlins used the manufacture year as the first two digits of the serial number. I would say yours was made in 1935. But from what I understand the actual 39A designation wasn't used until a year later in 1936. One of the true Marlin historians here will have to chime in and verify.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The first year 39A (1939) had no serial number letter prefix and had a case colored receiver as did the 1940/41 "B" prefix. Post WW2 (1946) started with a "C" and the receivers were now blued.

Is there a "letter" prefix to your serial number? From 1940 until 1968 Marlin used a letter (s) prefix, for year of manufacture.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
LEROY
Levergunner

Post by LEROY »

My rifle has no letter in the serial # just 3566.

LEROY
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

If it's a 39A it will say so, on the round barrel rollstamp. If it's Model 39 it will be rollstamped on the top tang and have an octagon barrel.

If round barrel, then it's a first year 39A (1939) and should have a little nub, at the back of the lever and a case colored (or remnants of) receiver. If it's an octagon barreled Model 39, then a "no letter" prefix makes it 1922-1926.
LEROY
Levergunner

Post by LEROY »

The barrel is round and it has a tang on the lever. It has no bluing anywhere. Is this normal? I'm hearing the barrel of this particular gun should have been blued. Should I send it out to get it reblued or leave it silver? i'm thinking of selling it but don't know what to ask for it.

LEROY
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

LEROY, show us a pic and someone hear can give you an idea.
Old Law Dawg
LEROY
Levergunner

Post by LEROY »

I have a digital camera but could use some guidance on posting pictures.

THANKS
LEROY
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Hey Leroy, Take the pics with your digital camera and upload them to your computer.
Next, you need to start an account with an image hosting website, there are several free ones available. I use Photobucket, http://photobucket.com/ .
When you have your account, upload the pics to the account and then copy the pic address from the account to here, it will look something like, [img.] http/photobucket.leroys_stuff.gun_01[/img.]
You will notice I'm the first one in this thread with a pic next to my name, that is done the same way, but the pic needs to be much smaller, 100 x 100 pixel, if I remember right.

Good luck with it, and hurry cos this thread sucks without pics :D
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

You have a 1st year, first model, 39A. The barrel, mag tube, hammer and bolt should be blued the receiver should be case colored.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

U don't even need photobucket. All My pics go directly to My Pictures from the card out of My camera. Then when I want to post a pic I just browse My Pictures and Pick the one I want.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
LEROY
Levergunner

Post by LEROY »

I took some pictures it's hard to tell there is no bluing on the gun, but there isn't any. I'm going to put it up for sale.

LEROY
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

That is a pretty gun. How's it shoot?
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
LEROY
Levergunner

Post by LEROY »

Don't know how it shoots never fired it. I don.t see anything that would lead me to think anything is wrong with it. The pictures make it look better than it is. Not that it is in bad shape.

LEROY