OT: Carrying handle (scope) question.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Carrying handle (scope) question.

Post by J Miller »

I've been thinking of buying a new carrying handle for my Marlin MR-7.
Not got a lot of funds to play with so I was looking through Midways selection.
Ran across the Bushnell Banner Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm Long Eye Relief Multi-X Reticle Matte scope.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=667093
One of my paranoia's is getting clobbered by the scope. I've seen bloodied eye brows from that and it scares me. What can I say?
I noticed this scope has a 6" eye relief where most of the others I've looked at are 3" or there about.
Cost is cheep at $79.99 but the Midway reviews are good.

What say you guys???

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: Carrying handle (scope) question.

Post by firefuzz »

I've always had pretty good luck with Bushnell scope for an in-expensive option. 6" of eye relief seems a little long for a rifle to me tho, Joe. I can't see where the paralex was set up for but I'd bet it's designed around a shotgun.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

firefuzz wrote:I've always had pretty good luck with Bushnell scope for an in-expensive option. 6" of eye relief seems a little long for a rifle to me tho, Joe. I can't see where the paralex was set up for but I'd bet it's designed around a shotgun.

Rob
Rob,

The reviews were mostly positive with most of them stating they put the scope on rifles. Many stated they were right on at 100 yds. I don't know nuthin about scopes, never used one before. This rifle has no iron sights so I'm stuck with optics.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

First the scope needs to fit the gun type and action.Being a bolt it would need to be long
enough to span the bolt and still have adj. without the rings interfearing with the bell.Then
when set up right there wont be any problem with getting hit.There should be enough eye
relief to see off hand shots clearly and prone when you tend to be leaned forward a little.
I was never a believer of having a scope set up for me by a smith until I had one done.There
can be a big differance in the sight in process if the scope is set up perfect.Its everthing from plumb crosshairs,ring alighnment,ring height and eye relief.Also remember the Locktite...
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

If you mount your scope so you have to stretch your neck just a little to see full field of view in the scope a 3" eye relief scope wont bight you.
I have fired many hundreds of rounds from hard kicking scope mounted rifles and have never been hit.
Just be careful if shooting up hill at an extreme angle. that scope can get close to your eye from the angle you will be holding the gun. :wink:

I have had several of the older Bushnell Banner scopes and they seem to be of good quality for an inexpensive scope. I have never had one fail due to recoil. A horse falling on them don`t count in my book! :D
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Holy Cow he's getting a scope
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

J Miller wrote:
firefuzz wrote:I've always had pretty good luck with Bushnell scope for an in-expensive option. 6" of eye relief seems a little long for a rifle to me tho, Joe. I can't see where the paralex was set up for but I'd bet it's designed around a shotgun.

Rob
Rob,

The reviews were mostly positive with most of them stating they put the scope on rifles. Many stated they were right on at 100 yds. I don't know nuthin about scopes, never used one before. This rifle has no iron sights so I'm stuck with optics.

Joe
It'll work just fine on a rifle provided you can get it far enough forward in the rings to allow for the eye relief. The paralex (focus) may just be set for 50-75 yds instead of 100yds.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Joe,

I found Barska to be decent and very easy on the wallet. Check out the Fall 2010 Closeouts at Natchez Shooter Supply, http://www.natchezss.com . I have bought quite a few and have been very pleased with the Barska. Look at the Ridgeline Barska ones. I haven't had much luck with BSA.

Steve
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

El Chivo wrote:Holy Cow he's getting a scope
Actually just thinking of getting a different one for the MR-7. It's only got a scope for sights and I'm paranoid about things near my face.

Joe
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Look at Simmons 8 Point models. They come in 4X32, 3X9X40 and 3X10X44. The fixed power is $39 and the other two are $40 and $60 respectively regular price. Simmons has a promotion event on now that if you buy a scope that is $25 or more retail (even on sale) they will send you 25% of your purchase price back. If you have Cabelas, Dicks Sporting Goods, Academy Sports or Sports Authority where you live they each have a sale on the scopes that brings the 3X9X40 to under $30. You will then get 25% back from Simmons. I have two friends that have several Simmons scopes on 30-06, 308, 35 Rem and 270's. They've not had a problem in 6 years and around 200 rounds per rifle. Based on that, I just purchased a Simmons 8 Pt. 4X32 from Dick's as a spare/sight in scope. The manager said it was on sale for $19.95 (so it wouldn't qualify for Simmons 25% back deal) but there was no box since it was in the display case and the Simmons logo sticker was coming off the side. It did come with lens covers. He gave it to me for $9.80! The glass is clear and crisp, color to edges is good and crosshairs are crisp and straight. It is said to be Waterproof/Shockproof/Fogproof but I haven't putting to those tests. I direct sunlight or bright overhead indoor range lights the light refraction causes small white dots on the perimeter of the lens on one side - noticable but you can still see through it and shoot. It tracks perfectly at 1/4" per click at 100 yards. This is truly the result of cheap Chinese labor, bulk quantity manufacturing and purchasing and plastic seal packaging. Simmons includes a limited lifetime warranty - if it goes bad they will fix or repair it as long as it was not from abuse or an accident. The eye relief on the variable is stated to be 3.5" and it is not stated on the fixed power. The 4X I got seems to be at or a hair over 4". Overall, if you want an inexpensive- available- usable scope I think Simmons deserves a look.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

86er

Thanks for the info. Very interesting.

Joe
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I don't believe it :D

N :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

If you mount the scope in the normal position unless you really try I don't think you can get the scope to cut you with a 308. You would have to put your head in an unusual position to have your eye so close to the scope. I am a scope snob but one of my best hunting buddies, who is very hard on gear, has Bushnells on everything and they have been fine. The one on his 10-22 finally gave up the ghost last year after 25 years of hard coon hunting and abuse.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Joe, the scope also needs to set up for YOU. With you comfortably holding the gun, the scope should be sharp and clear at the edges. If the image is floating around in a black circle, it's too far away or too close. Properly set up, there should be some forgiveness in looking through it, not making you work at it to make it function. Don't make yourself fit the scope (having to move in or out on it to see clearly), make the scope fit you and the gun. There's a range of distance (eye relief)that it works properly at, and it needs to be set up to fit you. I think this is one of the big reasons people get scoped in the eyebrow, they arent set up properly. When set up right a decent scope can be very quick, with no need to fear getting popped, and no hunting around to see through it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Joe, I have three brands that I try to stick with for Scopes - as the minimum. They are all great scopes and should give you your money's worth. I personally have had poor luck with scopes under $100 - that seems to be the magic number for some reason. The three are Weaver, Nikon Prostaff and now Redfield.

I did have a Simons Pro Hunter 3x9 that worked just fine but it had issues like the edges of the sight picture fuzzing out when you go to 9x... those listed above don't do that.

If you look around you should be able to find them on-sale. The 3x9's seem to be the best to shop as more places carry them.

This is what I'm talking about at Midway for example: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=822212

Though, its not really on sale...

And 4" of eye relief is plenty on a rifle.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

The cheaps scopes that I have owned Joe have failed within a year, one the optic quality just faded away, another the reticle broke, another the reticle just unsrewed itself internally and another just messed with my head!

Now then, all the Weavers (4) have never screwed up, don't change zero and give a good image after years of use. I put a ten year old on my 308 two years ago and it is faultless.

My 9422 has a Nikon on it and again it is perfect.

If you go to cheap, your opinion of scopes will only be more negative!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Nath,

I honestly don't think my opinion of scopes could be any more negative. If this rifle I'm thinking about had irons on it, I wouldn't even consider putting a scope on it.

From what everyone has said though, I think I'll hold off till I can afford a better quality unit. No sense in wasting money.

Joe
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Joe, PM sent.............Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

J Miller wrote:Nath,

I honestly don't think my opinion of scopes could be any more negative. If this rifle I'm thinking about had irons on it, I wouldn't even consider putting a scope on it.

From what everyone has said though, I think I'll hold off till I can afford a better quality unit. No sense in wasting money.

Joe
I agree. You pretty much get what you pay for with scopes. Cheaper scopes that won't break the bank, yet give good service include the Bushnell 3200 Elites, Nikon Prostaff, Leupold Rifleman, and the Weavers.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

A really warm place may be freezing over now :lol:

But serious --- i used a Simmons 3-9x40 on a budget model .300 win Mag chambered model 70 a few years ago and the scope bit me the first time i fired it, --- so i loosened it and moved it forward as far as it would go -- no problems after that

I had no complaints about the simmons and it was on the rifle for the approximately 150 rounds that i owned it ( 7 or 8 boxes of cartridges is a lot through a 7.5 pound .300 mag - ouch--- it just wasn't a rifle that ever got fired "just for the heck of it" if it came out of the safe, it usually had a mission)

The scope had no issues in that time and it was a $50 scope. I put it on because i just wanted to shoot the rifle initially and couldnt afford anything more expensive. I justified it saying i would recycle it and use it on a .22 when i got something better. It never gave me a reason to buy anything more expensive though, so it stayed.

I've had problems with the cheapest BSA's and Tascos in the past though , but these were $35.00 blister pack type scopes-- and i really should have known better.

Currently using a Bushnell 3200 5-15x on my target 10/22 and a Leupold rifleman 4-12x40 (got it on sale at Wal Mart for $135) on a Weatherby .300 with very good results and a $75 Tasco 3-9 on my guide gun is still hanging in there, even with 45-70 recoil.

I probably could have purchased one good Zeiss or Swarovski optic for the amount of cash i've spent on cheaper stuff over the years, but some of the cheap stuff just refuses to die -------- my personal happy medium i think is something along the lines of the Rifleman series or the new Redfield series. there you get solid American made optics with a lifetime warranty and you shouldnt have to worry about one coming apart on you on either a trophy hunt or on a relaxing day at the range --- maybe the local retail emporiums will be marking them down in about 8 days too :D
----- Doug