NEI Bullet Molds

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

NEI Bullet Molds

Post by Bruce Scott »

Does anyone have any experience of these? http://www.neihandtools.com/mold_info.html
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Re: NEI Bullet Molds

Post by Cliff »

Yes I have a few of them and they are the aluminum blocks. Never had a problem. Use their mold release, graphite based I believe, quick heat up and good to go. Great mold blocks. ATB
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Well, they used to be great blocks. Walt did a fine job. Go over to Castboolits.gunloads to see what people think of their quality now. If you want a good mould, try BRP, Accurate moulds, or Mountain moulds for a custom mould. Me, my personal opinion only, won't buy another NEI mould, unless it is an older one that Walt made.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Thanks for your replies.

They seem to be the only people who have a .362-200 mold (for the Webley Mk IV) as a stock item.
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

Bruce Scott wrote:Thanks for your replies.

They seem to be the only people who have a .362-200 mold (for the Webley Mk IV) as a stock item.
Mountain Molds has a design you own program.
362-200.JPG
Knocked this out selecting the 35/9mm from the On-Line Bullet Design, and altering it to .362 and changing the weight to 200.

If nothing else, it's fun to play with. :mrgreen:

Merry christmas,
Mark :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

I'll check them out.

Thanks Mark and a Merry Christmas to you too.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Your hearing it from the horse's mouth who uses them, and lots of 'em :wink: The guys at Cast Boolits who badmouth NEI are usually guys who could not cast a good bullet with a 3 million dollar mould.

Joel & Patty are a joy to work with. I have many of their moulds of which most are 3 and 4 cavity aluminum. When Joel took over the business from Walt, he was, well, learning the business and the first few he made me had some problems---little problems. He made good on them and the next dozen or so he sent me have been fabulous.

When I ordered a mould from Walt, it was a three month wait. Joel does 'em and ships within 2 weeks.
Accurate? Well, like I said, most all of my moulds he made me are 3 & 4 cavity and this is what they will do at 300 meters. He did make me two moulds that did not want to shoot, but that was the design, not the workmanship. -----------Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Sorry Sixgun, I beg to differ. Last mould I ordered, one of the cavities was cut on the alignment pin holes, so there was a hole in the nose of one of the bullets, and it was not even the design I ordered.

You might get good moulds, knowing them. I know I won't ever order another one from them. Last few months I have ordered 7 moulds, from BRP and Accurate moulds, not to mention the NOE moulds I received. If I am paying for a quality mould, then thats what I expect. Not too much to ask, is it? I would take a Lee mould first.
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

I have a good selection of NEI molds. Most were made by Walt or the fellow who owned the company for a while.
I have a recent mold with two cuts of heavy bullets for the 327 Federal. I had this mold made in mehite (sp?) as I didn’t have and NEI mold in iron. It is a good mold and has dropped round bullets from the start. The mold works well and has a good heavy sprue plate.
I also have a recent spitzer mold for the 38-55 which is a special heavy for the caliber mold. It may just be luck but this mold is “perfect.” This bullet shoots well in two 38-55 single shot rifles and it is a joy to cast with.
I have looked at the group buys on the forum but have not joined in.
I am looking at the group buys from Veral Smith on the Cast Bullet Association as I have a specific .32 caliber wide meplat I am looking at for use in the heavy frame 327 revolvers.
Anyway, I am not anyone special and I have no trouble with the current molds coming out of El Paso.
Slim
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Glad to see someone is getting decent moulds from NEI. Always good to have another mould maker
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

They were good molds when I was young, connected by friendship to someone in the family; don't knoe how or where.
anachronism
Levergunner

Post by anachronism »

Try Lyman 358430, the 195 gr version. It's available in 2 bullet weights. Personally, I'd try to find an older "Ideal" mould since Lymans quality is almost as erratic as NEIs since Walts passing. Chances are that you can juggle alloys a bit if necessary to get the diameter you want, or you could have the drive bands enlarged by Hollowpoint Mold Service. Many of the old Ideal moulds were made when the 38 S&W was more common than it is today & the sizes are more generous than they are today. I have an elderly 358311 Ideal that casts at .362, and have had newer ones that seem more suited for 9mms. I have no firsthand dealings with NEI, but trust the words of enough people on "Cast Boolits" that I've dealt with for years to trust their opinions.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

CBE in Australia make a couple of moulds for the 38 S&W. I believe the original bullets were two diameter - with the driving band measuring 0.363 and the diameter from rear of the driving band to the base at 0.357, ie the design is somewhat like a .22 rimfire and 310 Cadet bullet. CBE moulds are made from brass and they are top quality. They can also customise your mould, eg add GC shank, make a longer rear driving band, add a HP pin etc. They've made a few specials for me and they make good gear.

http://www.castbulletengineering.com/page0041.html

You will find the 38 S&W moulds on page 9 of the updates.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote:When I ordered a mould from Walt, it was a three month wait. Joel does 'em and ships within 2 weeks.
I never ordered a mold from "Walt" !

But I've ordered several from "Joel" . Each time he'd say 2 weeks and each time it was two alright but more like 2 MONTHS . Heck the last time I ordered he claimed he didn't cut aluminum any longer and I would have to buy mehenite .

Now 2 months isn't to terribly long , but don't tell me each time you're gonna get them to me that quick and NEVER deliver on time . Tell me 2 months and if they get to me early great .

The molds I ordered did what I wanted after I got them . But I gotta say after the last one I got it just sorta left a bad taste . I don't plan to give them anymore buisness .

I sent in my stuff to Mountain Molds and had the two molds I ordered in my hands in a WEEK !

Bruce at BRP has a quick turnaround as well !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !