OT 308 Win long range loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

OT 308 Win long range loads

Post by TedH »

I'm going to start loading for a couple of heavy barrel 308 bolt rifles soon. Just for fun punching paper out to a few hundred yards for now though they may see some use deer hunting later on. What's your favorite loads for accurate target shooting?
It seems like most folks like the 168 SMK, which I'm not opposed to trying, but I already shoot the Nosler 155 gr. Match bullet in my M1, so I'm going to try it first. I've got several powders that should work well, BLC-(2), IMR4895, Varget, Benchmark.
NRA Life Member
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT 308 Win long range loads

Post by Nath »

Ted, I ain't no paper shooter but my gun loves the 110 v-max and a case full 50grn of H4895.
The best two shot group at 385 steps was 2".

I have a bunch of Speer 170grn flat points (30/30) and they like going in the same hole at 100yds on BLc-2.

I have often wondered about using a target bullet as I'm sure the hp ones will still burst.

Good luck.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

My Nephew is a SWAT team member in a Sheriff's Dept. in Oregon. They are allowed to use re-loads in the .308's. The load of choice is Varget with 168 gr. BTS. They all must use the same load.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I was going to say - Varget for the newer propellants and W748 as well. I've had very good luck with both in the .308. Varget is much less temperature sensative though.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Ted,
here's a few I've had luck with............

These loads are all 2.810" OAL.and are magazine fed, Win brass, Fed 210M primer.

Two loads that work well for me.....Varget 46gr with a 155 Sierra MatchKing Palma, 44.5 of Varget with a 168 SMK.

My long range load is the 175 SMK with 45gr Varget with Win brass, Fed 210M. ***** THIS IS A MAX LOAD in my rifle, so work up.
--------------------------------------------
a couple more on other powders.........

45.5gr RL-15, LC brass, Fed 210M, 2.810 OAL, 168gr. SMK

46.0gr Compressed, IMR-4064, LC brass, Fed 210M, 2.810 OAL, 168gr. SMK
---------------------------------------------------
here's a great page of 308 Win info..........

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/308win/

I hope this helps, and have fun! :mrgreen: :D

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I gotta concur with the VARGET loads my savage tactical really likes the 165 gr SGK with 42.5- 45 grains, and the funny thing is POI is almost identical with anything in that range. I shot a group with several of the 42.5 and several with the 45.o grain loads, well under an inch a 100yds for the mixed group(I think it was 4 of one and 6 of the other but that's using my memory). Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

If there is a chance you may want to hunt later with the same load check out Berger VLD
bullets.They are pricey but they are very sleek like a match bullet and still rated for
hunting.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

From what I understand the 168s work well at least to 600 yds. People shooting much past that with the 308 seem to prefer the 175/178 grain bullets.
I did shoot a match a few months ago that went out to 550yds. I used factory Hornady ammo with 155 TAP bullets and they seemed to work well; I don't know yet how well they'd work past 550.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

BobM wrote:From what I understand the 168s work well at least to 600 yds.
....actually much further. The shooters who favor heavier bullets either want more energy and/or less wind drift. Remember that doping wind is the great equalizer at long range matches or shooting.

This was taken from, http://www.palma.org/

The PALMA Trophy Team Match
The PALMA Trophy Match Team is shot in three stages of slow fire in the prone position. The first stage is two sighting shots and 15 shots for record per shooter at 800 yards. The second stage is two sighters and 15 shots for record at 900 yards per shooter. The third stage is two sighters and 15 shots for record at 1000 yards per shooter. Each national team consists of 16 shooters who form ranks and shoot on four targets at each stage.

The PALMA bolt action rifles are 7.62mm NATO caliber (Winchester .308) and fire Match Grade ammunition using a 155 grain bullet.

Micrometer aperture (iron) sights are used for sighting.

The target is six feet square and has a 20 inch bullseye (10 ring). An aiming black circle of 44 inches includes a 9 and 8 ring. A possible score of 150 points can be achieved by each team member in each stage of fire. This adds up to 7,200 possible points for each national team per day of competition.

Hope this helps in some way, Tom :D
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

... 7.62mm NATO caliber (Winchester .308)...

Either / Or ?

:?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.